• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Cooler Master CMSTORM Sirus Headset Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Is it a duck? Is it a heat sink? Is it a slab of bacon? No! Leaping over a tablet PC with a single bound, running faster than a newborn kitten, and able to withstand bhut jolokia, it is TollhouseFrank! In this edition, can our protagonist survive when he is attacked by a Control Pod shaped like a UFO? Can he outlast the horror that is crawling under his desk to attach 5.1 analog hook-ups to the back of his PC? Is referring to himself in the 3rd person a bit cliche? Possibly, but read on to find out!

... Return to article to continue reading.

The headset sounds pretty promising. I've been looking for a reason to get a surround sound sound card; this might be my calling.

I am sure if I had better than my Realtek HD onboard, then the analog hook-up would have likely sounded a lot better. But alas, when you are stuck with Realtek as your Codec, you are stuck.

Not saying that it is bad. But the last time I bought a sound card, it was a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum. Aside from a few features of that, the Realtek is many times better than what used to be built-in on motherboards all those years ago. I personally believe that onboard sound today is about as good as what a dedicated card was about 8 years ago.

Did you have a problem with usb while using these? I have the same headphones and it makes my usb's all wonky. It may be this board (z68x-ud3h), but it does seem that these draw quite a bit of juice.

It's out now... Been out for a bit too from the look of it. They even released a cheaper version (think its 3.5mm jack only) with an inline control (no ufo). Got mine today, but sadly, it's staying in the box today... Got some network maintenance for work tonight :-(

20120924190540.jpg

just wanted to update this a bit, had a bit of a chance to play with my new headset, and I must say, I am impressed. Been playing some APB: Reloaded, and Firefall Beta, and its pretty amazing. Never had a decent audio setup, still don't have a good sound card (rocking it on usb), before, and the surround sound works wonderfully. Very happy with my purchase, and thanks to Frank for the great review that pushed me over the edge on purchasing this headset. Side note: I am not an audio guru, but it beats the **** outta the Logitech G330 headset I was rocking before :)

glad that the review helped you make a decision to get these!

I am still using mine and I love them. I have only run into 2 issues, and 1 is solved, and the other will slowly fix itself.

Issue 1: The driver quit loading properly on boot. I have no idea why. I went online and downloaded the updated driver, installed it, and voila, no more issues.

Issue 2: I had an ear infection recently that made using any direct sound into my left ear very painful. Sounds are still dull in my left ear, but getting better day by day. Thankfully, I could tune the left side way down so it still sounded good.

I've actually had one of these for a while. The sound is exactly what I need in a headset. If I would ever stop tinkering with much hardware I'd install my sound card and try the analog hookups. Regardless the usb sound is great as is.

You are at the mercy of your onboard codec if you use Realtek HD like I did in my test of the analogs. However, I found out in testing (and later through advertisements on their website promoting this feature) that analog is how it was designed for best surround response.

Back