• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA SuperNova NEX1500 W Classified Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

EVGA1.5kw-PSU-glamour2-300x230.jpg

Here we have it folks, EVGA’s entry into the “Ultimate PSU” market. EVGA has gone above and beyond the usual even for this market segment. 1500 W isn’t enough, so they put in eight rails (that can be set to a single huge rail via software or a DIP switch), fan controls, software to monitor and adjust the unit, 16 PCIe cables. It’s an impressively excessive PSU, really.

... Return to article to continue reading.

I just got done reading this thing before publishing and WOW, what a PSU. If I needed 1500W, this one would be very hard to resist.

Great review Ed!

holy moly!
i mean.. yea its junk bob il take care of it pm incoming with address ;D lolol
that is one bad @55 unit!

My favorite part was that the ripple went down at 50°C. It likes the heat. Color me impressed.

Hell of a unit.
Hell o a price tag too, but it's an impressive enough unit to warrant it.

damn nice review and a good looking PSU. $450 is kinda hard on the wallet, but the 10year warrenty DAMN.. That makes it worth the extra cash.

I can't wait for the next thread in the General HW section asking us to help them build their "dream computer" and claiming that "money is no object"... I'd love to see their faces when they see that the PSU is more expensive than the CPU we recommend. :D

Right? If money is no object, go dual PSU with these things and re-wire your house for 220v. 3300w ought to be enough for a modern top shelf rig :p

I'd like to take a moment here to give a public thanks to the overclockers.com editors.
I'm not sure how many people know this, but we have a dedicated, fantastic, editing team that goes through each and every article to correct issues, fix grammar, give opinions, and other editorish things. At least two editors go through every single article or review posted. The editors are not paid.
This article/review came in at around 5600 words, and 2-3 editors read every single word at least once to make sure everything was good.

Thank you, OCF editors!

Yikes, I wouldn't want to stumble upon that PSU in a back alley.

Now I say you figure out a way to try and get 2k out of it.

Just sayin!

Monster PSU, If I were a 3d bencher trying to set WRs this would be on my desk. Alas I cant see any use for this for 99% of setups. Still sometimes its nice to awe at awesome tech just for the purpose of being awesome.

I'd like to take a moment here to give a public thanks to the overclockers.com editors.
I'm not sure how many people know this, but we have a dedicated, fantastic, editing team that goes through each and every article to correct issues, fix grammar, give opinions, and other editorish things. At least two editors go through every single article or review posted. The editors are not paid.
This article/review came in at around 5600 words, and 2-3 editors read every single word at least once to make sure everything was good.

Thank you, OCF editors!

Your work makes our editing job easy brother, great review once again!!

Lot of watt but its power quality cant keep up with the Corsair 1200i. On the other hand only a fery few people gonna need more than 1200 W. Prehaps people who use 4x CF or SLI. For any other user i dont see any uses for 1500 W monster.

Doing the maths, 300 W is what it takes at max for a single GPU. 2x is 600, 3x is 900. Adding the power consume for CPU and other stuff, it would be successfull to run 1-3 GPUs by a effective 1200 W PSU (water/air cooling).

At extreme overclocking (LN2) prehaps not more than 2 GPUs can be used for 1200 W, but even the 1500 W will not be sufficient anymore. So, 2 PSUs have to be used in such a case, the 1500 W PSU would not change those matters.

So whats the indented/effective use? 4x GPU configurations without extreme OC (air/water only). Thats indeed a rather minor user base... prehaps there is still some people who just buy it for more than just its indented use**... but thats theyr decision and not mine. Nevertheless, great review from Bobnova. There isnt much reviews of that quality out there, picturing most of its important componnents, and lot of knowledge inside. Unfortunately its one of the hardest stuff making great PSU reviews and Overclockers certainly is capable of.

**For example its extremely outstanding warranty period of 10 years (must be the current record holder), thats a PSU someone gonna have for very very long time and its certainly worth lot of bucks. And tons of features... which can be fun to use, simply giving some sort of extra value.

Btw. Especially enjoyed that one:
1392/100/44w (1536w) 12.02 V (most accurate volt at that level) Kill-a-watts: "Uncle!". Intake/exhaust: 50/74 °C (!!!)

Nearly full load with 50 C air intake, its performance seems to reach a even better level than at low load, so its certainly a PSU made for very excessive loads and doesnt mind lot of heat, which is not seen to much. "Supernova" surely is a fitting name, granted that the PSU does enjoy the highest stress the most.

Last edited:
This PSU would be advantageous for poor power environments where your power lines experience droop or nasty current, the larger the capacity of the PSU the greater it's filtering capabilities are as well. If a rig is really that important the PSU would seem like a minor expense compared to multiple top of the line graphics cards.

I wonder what happens if a dip switch gets tripped while its on...

Settings on the dip switch are effective immediately, I played with that.
It's fine with you changing any of the various settings while it's running.

Back