• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia No Longer Allows EVGA to Include EVBot Support on the GTX680 Classified

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Source (EVGA Forums)

A member asks about why his new GTX680 Classified doesn't have an EVBot port when his other one does have an EVBot port. He receives this answer...

EVGA_JacobF said:
Unfortunately newer 680 Classified cards will not come with the EVBot feature. If any questions or concerns please contact us directly so we can offer a solution.
After multiple members asking why...

EVGA_JacobF said:
Unfortunately we are not permitted to include this feature any longer.
Then, after asking if there is a reason for this...

EVGA_JacobF said:
It was removed in order to 100% comply with NVIDIA guidelines for selling GeForce GTX products, no voltage control is allowed, even via external device.

Yeah, pretty annoying...

The cards that still have the ports will probably increase in value, especially in the benching scene. I wonder if EVGA will sell the EVBot connector separately to allow modders to add it to the PCB themselves.

how would that hurt them?!! voltage control i mean its not like it effects nvidia directly does it?

Maybe nVidia gives/loans EVGA the GK cores and then both parties split the profit from the cards sold. Then, I think nvidia would have a say in what can and cannot be included on non-reference PCBs. I dunno :shrug:

There has to be something behind this...

or maybe they are going to just start shipping cards with the same chips just lower voltages/clocks and calling them a different series, one production line vs 5 could save moneys :shrug:

im just throwing crap out there lol i dont know the least thing about how these companies work i just buy their junk lol

Nvidia has a huge say in what the manufacturers do, they can simply refuse to sell the cores to them!

There was already a ban on software overclocking >1.3v, but EVGA dodged that with the hardware EVBot.
Guess Nvidia didn't like that much.

They're shooting themselves in the foot marketing wise IMO. On the other hand it allows them to sell more 680s as the limits prevent the 670 from stomping all over the 680, and the 660ti from stomping the 670, etc. etc.

I can safely say that I won't be buying anything Nvidia (new, anyway) any time soon.
Admittedly, I wouldn't be buying a new GPU any time soon anyway.

EDIT:
From the picture in the thread (http://s13.postimage.org/mcu6xgzhj/photo.jpg) the holes are still there. It becomes a simple issue to buy the proper header from digikey and solder it on. Of course, there goes the warranty, which is exactly what Nvidia's plan is.
This is the header more or less, you'll need to cut one pin off.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/87230-3/A26593-ND/353085

2.EDIT:
That said, there are non-solder ways to attach pins/wires there :sn:

Last edited:
I'm guessing nVidia will prevent ASUS from using their hotwire feature as well.

I should have known Bobnova would show up with the modding advice :)

Also, based on their warranty terms, as long as you can remove any modifications without causing physical damage, then EVGA's warranty will stand.

Wow... I've always been an NVidia guy... I think that has changed as of today though.

If I want to void my own warranty on a card I paid $500 or more for... I should darn well have the right!

Guess it's AMD or nothing for me now.

ETA: Perhaps we should all start shooting off E-mails to NVidia to let them know of our dislike for this new rule?

See, I can understand why limiting voltages on the lower-end cards helps with sales (because then we can't overclock and get the performance of the next card up), but limiting the top of the line card just pisses off the consumers who like to overclock, or benchmark. And let's be honest, if you're buying a 680, odds are that you fit into one of those categories. There are PLENTY of much better bang/$ video cards for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back