• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Ivy Bridge motherboards have been out for well over a year now, and we reviewed several of the major players across nearly all brands here at Overclockers.com. That said, each vendor has so many choices in their stable, there is bound to be something we can look at and perhaps some new features Today we get a chance to look at Gigabyte's Z77X-UP4 TH. This is a mid-level type of board but includes Intel's Thunderbolt connectivity. Let's see how she looks and performs, shall we?

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review as always :thup:

Wonder if Thunderbolt is gonna be a feature here to stay or if it will be something that passes with the next gen?

If adoption doesnt get some traction soon, I'm personally afraid of the latter. USB3 has pleny of bandwidth for most user's needs at this time, and there are plenty of inexpensive USB3 devices out there to take advantage of it.

EDIT: A special thanks to BobN for some noticing some things that needed updated post publishing:
(Corrected PCIe lane break down, and more accurate names of the IR chips)

Last edited:
Thunderbolt reminds me of Firewire. A select few that need the current-gen speed demon will use it (and pay the pretty steep premium for it). Aside from that, nobody will need or want it and it will be just another port on more expensive boards.

Nice review.

Though FWIW the mouse input on my Z77X-UD5H is horribly clunky [edit: in the UEFI BIOS](as quite a few reviews of that board note) so maybe you got lucky last time.

Last edited:
This was clunky in the UEFI BIOS otherwise, smooth as butter in the ports it tells you to put them in (never tried others).

I expect thunderbolt to go the way of firewire at best.
Hopefully it'll just disappear :p

Back