• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Regardless of what one's budget might be for a Z77 platform system build, ASUS surely has an offering that will fit. At last count, there are no less than 20 choices to be had within the ASUS Z77 lineup. Within the Z77 platform, ASUS has done a great job of mixing up features to offer a solution that fits almost any consumer's desire. In fact, you can find many offerings in the same price range that differ only by the features included on them. Today, we'll be looking at one such mid-level offering, the P8Z77-V LE PLUS. So, let's have a look at what ASUS has packed into this Z77 offering!
... Return to article to continue reading.

Using the 2nd pcie 3.0 slot?

I have a usb 3.0 card reader in the pci slot next to the first pcie 3.0 slot. I was thinking when I finally buy my awesome gpu (gtx 780 classified) will it run at x16 (single; we'll worry about sli later) if placed in the 2nd (white/grey) pcie 3.0 slot? I know that the 3rd pcie slot (black) is only 2.0. I want to make sure if you could help me find this out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Justin

To get PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16, you need the GPU in the first PCIe x16 slot which will cover the PCIe x1 slot below it (green box). Since you said the USB3.0 card is in a slot beside the first PCIe x16 slot, that means it's a PCIe x1 card. So, you can move the USB3.0 card to any of the PCIe slots (red boxes).

Capture.PNG

sorry to hijack. can you use PCIe x1 sized cards in a x16 slot? Is that what this is saying?

Yes, you can put a PCIe x1 card into a PCIe x16 slot. With your USB 3.0 card, you will want to put it in the very bottom PCIe x16 slot, so it keeps the GPU's slot running at 16x instead of splitting it to 8x (which would happen if you put the USB 3.0 card in slot 5).

@MattNo5ss Thank you so much! I guess you learn something new everyday. I had no idea you could do that! I will make sure to just move the usb card then!

@hokiealumnus Wow! That's also good to know. So to be clear, if I didn't move the usb card reader and did place a single gpu in the 2nd pcie slot (or as in mattno5ss's diagram slot no. 5) that it would be running at x16 or x8? I don't see why it would but I'm not arguing just haven't had a board with multiple pcie slots before and I can't really find the literature on this. Any further confirmation will be appreciated. Worst case is I will find out the hard way but I don't mind moving the reader card, just curious at this point!
Thanks!

Boot into bios. In the extreme tweaker menu see if this board has GPU.dimm POST in there somewhere. That will let you know what the GPU is running. Personally, I would move the USB card and put the GPU in the first slot.

Only the first PCIe x16 slot can run at x16. Based on the following picture from the review, the other PCIe x16 slots are x8 electrically. There really isn't much of a difference in running in x16 vs x8, either will work fine.

asus_p8z77vleplus-17.jpg

You guys are all awesome! Again, much thanks! I'm looking forward to installing the gpu when I get it in the next pay check or two!

Back