• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Launches Gamer Series Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Decent looking modules with probably good performance. The only problem is the competition is heavy in the memory business these days. OCZ got out of the market not so long ago because they figured there was just no money to be made...

AMD makes memory?

I'm pretty sure literally all memory is equal and nobody ever seems to have an issue with it... unless your benchmarking you can pretty much get whatever will fit under your heatsink/looks good...

I wonder what an infalliable Seasonic-esque memory brand is... heard good things about G.Skill and Samsung...

Earlier kits were made by Patriot , they just had AMD label and I bet this time is the same.
That performance up to 22% better than entertainment series is interesting. Probably they are using 1066 CL9 kit vs 2133 CL10 and even then I don't think it will be so high difference as AMD is almost not scalling above 1866. Usual marketing stuff.

Why you no read my words? :p
Earlier kits were made by Patriot , they just had AMD label and I bet this time is the same.

Who is the OEM for the Gamer Series memory? The answer is there are two: “DataRam is AMD’s North American Partner for AMD Memory, while SMI is AMD’s partner outside of North America.”

That performance up to 22% better than entertainment series is interesting. Probably they are using 1066 CL9 kit vs 2133 CL10 and even then I don't think it will be so high difference as AMD is almost not scalling above 1866. Usual marketing stuff.

APUs are heavily dependent on memory speed, and with faster memory comes higher FPS. When compared to the 8 GB DDR3-1600 Entertainment Series kit you can see healthy gains going to Gamer Series speed memory.

You're absolutely right though, usual marketing stuff. 22% is a big number, but the real difference is ~5-7 FPS, which is a decent increase that translates to a large percentage when you're starting at ~25-35 FPS.

Sorry I'm at work and just skipped some sentences :D
About these FPS ... it has to be some low screen resolution and details as there is no way to have 30-40 FPS+ in Tomb Raider on IGP ;)
There is Tomb Raider on the screenshot as AMD is promoting Tress FX technology which is mainly visible in this game. Well, they have not many new things to show but at least hair in this game look great :)

Last edited:
AMD just makes me want to bang my head against a wall. :bang head Seriously, how many people running Intel chips are going to go out and buy AMD ram? I would bet most of the un informed people will think that the AMD ram isn't compatible with an Intel chip. The 22% increase in performance in gaming gave me a laugh also. What I would like to see is how the sticks perform on an AMD platform compared to other comparable sticks. Hint hint. :) Thanks for the article hokiealumnus

Seriously, how many people running Intel chips are going to go out and buy AMD ram? I would bet most of the un informed people will think that the AMD ram isn't compatible with an Intel chip.

None, but there's no reason not to. It's just like when companies started branding their sticks as Core i5 and Core i7 memory (probably for kickbacks from Intel). The average user running AMD probably thought it wasn't compatible with his CPU.

At least AMD memory has both AMP and XMP profiles. Let's see if they have success competing in this cut throat market.

Personally, I'd rather see AMD specializing then diversifying right now, especially in such a low margin business.

On SB the "designed for p67" thing was actually quite important. High speed memory that didn't have that marker rarely worked well, or at all.
2133 c10 isn't likely to light antibodies pants on fire, but it's not bad. If it happens to oc like zomg that'll change things of course. I'm happy to see the low profile heatsinks, I'm tired of the huge useless ones.

Everyone's a critic when it comes to AMD's business plan.

I Wonder Why

Lololol!

But seriously, its good they're diversifying they're portfolio, it would be bad if Intel became the only desktop processor manufacturer, but is memory the best place to do that? There are already so many...

AMD has been making, and selling, memory for some time now. This is just a new series.

I would so buy this. Hard enough trying to find sticks that actually work as advertised on AMD platforms. :bang head

The timing of the release is interesting as well, just as RAM prices are going back up. Makes me wonder if this product has been on the back burner for some months just waiting for the market move upwards ?? :confused:

Back