• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcanic Islands

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheHutchTTU

AMD is building from the ground up, hopefully it's worth the wait!

TechPowerUp Link

Proposed Spec's

20 nm silicon fab process
4096 stream processors
16 serial processor cores
4 geometry engines
256 TMUs
64 ROPs
512-bit GDDR5 memory interface

All I hear is that when this does drop. Everything out right now is going to get destroyed by the "next gen". So is there even a point of getting something awesome now or wait and get something epic later? And it can be said that dosent matter if I get one now or later because in time there will always be something better and newer. But I am drooling over the HD 8970. U can put a CPU on my GPU... Put a 2500k or a 2600k CPU on my 8970 and only charge me $400.00

All I hear is that when this does drop. Everything out right now is going to get destroyed by the "next gen". So is there even a point of getting something awesome now or wait and get something epic later? And it can be said that dosent matter if I get one now or later because in time there will always be something better and newer. But I am drooling over the HD 8970. U can put a CPU on my GPU... Put a 2500k or a 2600k CPU on my 8970 and only charge me $400.00

We say that about every generation of hardware, and will continue to do so until the end of time. You can wait forever with that kind of mindset.

We say that about every generation of hardware, and will continue to do so until the end of time. You can wait forever with that kind of mindset.

Yeah but for someone like me it just makes it hard. Starting with a budget build and slowly upgrading. I want to make it last. For a while. . . 7950 or wait for a 8950. What to do.:shrug:

I'm tellin' ya, big things are coming, lads. A lot of things are about to change-- The desktop market isn't willing to die, so it's going to adapt. A GPU on a 20nm fab alone could be HUGE. If they can build the serial modules at this size, they'll be fancy and cool.. Imagine if they're Steamroller cores?

This thing is going to be a beast :attn:

this is as opposed to Nvidia's Maxwell chip (for their GTX 8xx series)

but both company seem to be trying to incorporate CPU in GPU functions..
here though, AMD might have a clear edge.

isn't the GPGPU a form an APU when used in certain open-CL programming?

so AMD is going to launch a pure APU this time? or actually a GPU with an APU?

Back