• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Volcanic Islands to Implement CPU Cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD's upcoming generation of graphics cards, dubbed Volcanic Islands, is to include CPU cores on-chip.

093848zpp81j7bp7jpngvs.jpg

... Return to article to continue reading.

So, they've been including GPUs with their CPUs, now they're including CPUs with their GPUs?

Yo dawg, I heard you like...

+1

Just hope they can make drivers that works and manage it correctly now ...

pfffttt keep dreamin!
scary thing is nvidia is doing it too hopefully one of them can figure it out!

lol maybe these can mine LTC in the Mhash/s stock speed!
how does this help gaming?:confused:

perhaps it handles the extra computations that the games need such as location of objects and leaving the cpu free for more taxing things? or perhaps its a more advanced way of thermal / power management?

I thought ARM chips had trouble with something, Windows, X86, X64, something, what was it? It was the reason Microsoft had to make Windows 8 RT for tablets that cannot run 'legacy' (i.e. normal desktop) apps. What would stop the same issue from occuring here?

And what is the point of having CPU cores on a GPU? I missed that about this article.

Theres alot of potential uses for a multi purpose core on something as complex as these modern GPUs. Its also not important for them to be able to run standard code as they are likely not intended to be used for anything outside of the GPU. They are being labled as "serial processors" I imagine that these are for internal scene management/iterative type of code while the 4k parallel processors spend all of there time pumping out pixels.

I thought ARM chips had trouble with something, Windows, X86, X64, something, what was it? It was the reason Microsoft had to make Windows 8 RT for tablets that cannot run 'legacy' (i.e. normal desktop) apps. What would stop the same issue from occuring here?

And what is the point of having CPU cores on a GPU? I missed that about this article.

It's the fundamental difference between ARM and desktop CPUs. They're both processors, they both calculate things, but desktop CPUs use the x86 instruction set (which is horribly archaic) while ARM uses the RISC instruction set (ARM standing for Advanced RISC Machines).

In this scenario, they'd probably be linked way below the OS level where it's less of an issue.

See Bobnova's post below.

Last edited:

ARM chips can't run standard Windows because they are not x86 chips. Windows runs exclusively within an x86 environment. But that is not a problem here and those cores could be anything.

As for the uses of a CPU-type multi-purpose processor on GPU, they are numerous as others have stated, but will also tremendously streamline programming and increase performance of GPGPU applications (general purpose computation on GPU).

These new GPUs will shine in everything from gaming to computing programs like Folding@Home, and might even take a more important place in HPC and servers.

Last edited:
How fascinating! I'm pretty eager to see what's coming in these next few generations-- Feel like big change is on the horizon, gents

CPU cores, and twice as powerful as the Tahiti core to boot!

I'd like to see AMD use those CPU cores to improve microstuttering and frame pacing in Crossfire setups.

And I'd like to see some modders set up CPU Physx on the GPU cores... :p

Theres alot of potential uses for a multi purpose core on something as complex as these modern GPUs. Its also not important for them to be able to run standard code as they are likely not intended to be used for anything outside of the GPU. They are being labled as "serial processors" I imagine that these are for internal scene management/iterative type of code while the 4k parallel processors spend all of there time pumping out pixels.

Oh... then the normal CPU would be doing what... controlling AI?

It's the fundamental difference between ARM and desktop CPUs. They're both processors, they both calculate things, but desktop CPUs use the x86 instruction set (which is horribly archaic) while ARM uses the RISC instruction set (ARM standing for Advanced RISC Machines).

Why doesn't ARM make desktop CPUs if RISC is so much 'fresher'

ARM chips can't run standard Windows because they are not x86 chips. Windows runs exclusively within an x86 environment. But that is not a problem here and those cores could be anything.

What does 64 bit windows do differently, then?

Does the CPU/GPU combo chip have to interact with the normal main CPU at all? Pretty interesting stuff it just intriuiges me is all.

ARM probably doesn't have the capital and resources to compete with AMD or Intel. Plus, the entire tech infrastructure from the past two decades is built upon x86, nothing major runs on RISC until very recently. ARM found a niche in the market where they're doing well, and they'll stick to it because (as much as us enthusiasts disagree) it's about the money, not the processors.

See Bobnova's post below.

Last edited:
Back