• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

It's release day again for NVIDIA, and this time we have the second card in the 700 series. We had the GTX 780 a week ago, and now it's the GTX 770's turn for the spotlight. Based on the same GK104 core as the GTX 680, the GTX 770 could be just a rebrand, but maybe there's more. Continue on to see what we can uncover.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
No thumb on the chip this time :(

Edit: Great review, waiting for Newegg to release them now!

Edit 2: They're up!

Last edited:
Great review!

I feel bad for the 680 folks who can't take advantage of this price/performance when adding a second card.

Last edited:
actually might be able.. both gk104... can they SLI?

We need to be the first site to test this possibility !!! Hokie/Matto5ss !! do something !! :)

Disappointed at the performance at the price point across what is out there in the market. At stock the 770 does hang with the 7970 with synthetic benchmarks, it falls behind with the games, no surprise there.

We all know the 7970 OC's like a beast and I would love to see the 770 at OC vs 7970 OC'd to say 1200/1600 running through the same set of benchmarks, I think it will help people with their buying decision as both cards sit at the same price points.

Then the big kicker is the 2GB VRAM the 770 has, they should have put 3 GB on, come on Nvidia

What is Tom talking about?

"There’s also the issue of memory capacity to sort out. We didn’t have any trouble running out of steam on our 2 GB cards at 2560x1440. However, as you step up to 5760x1080 and higher, 3 and 4 GB models are more appropriate. Expect to pay somewhere around $50 more per GeForce GTX 770 4 GB."

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-31.html

Looks like he expects the cost of the 4GB GTX 770 to be $450 :shrug:

We need to be the first site to test this possibility !!! Hokie/Matto5ss !! do something !! :)

I won't be able to try a flash until this afternoon. I have already saved my GTX 680 and GTX 770 BIOSes, and I've edited a copy of the GTX 770 BIOS to match the GTX 680 as best as I could. I figured this would come up :D

Boost tables cannot be edited, so that the only major difference in my GTX680 BIOS and my edited GTX770 BIOS.

common.PNG

voltage.PNG

boost table.PNG

boost states.PNG

clock states.PNG

You made a typo in the last few paragraphs. Should be "breaking the Bank" not "breaking the break" of is breaking the break a saying? I should also say great review!

Seeing new toys is always exciting.

Soooo many things to try !

My bet is that.. it can SLI. ( gotta bet on something exciting! )

Didn't Nvidia say no 4GB versions? Or was that just for the 780?!?

Seeing new toys is always exciting.

Soooo many things to try !

My bet is that.. it can SLI. ( gotta bet on something exciting! )

That's correct no GTX 780s with more than 3GB, GTX 770s will have 4GB versions though. This makes me wonder if the GTX 770 will do 4-way SLI like the GTX 680 as well, leaving the GTX 780 to support only 3-way.

Disappointed at the performance at the price point across what is out there in the market. At stock the 770 does hang with the 7970 with synthetic benchmarks, it falls behind with the games, no surprise there.

We all know the 7970 OC's like a beast and I would love to see the 770 at OC vs 7970 OC'd to say 1200/1600 running through the same set of benchmarks, I think it will help people with their buying decision as both cards sit at the same price points.

Then the big kicker is the 2GB VRAM the 770 has, they should have put 3 GB on, come on Nvidia

Yeah, it sets between the GTX 680 and HD 7970 for performance, but at the price of the HD 7970. I think EarthDog ran his HD7970 OC settings at 1175/1705MHz. Once I confirm, I could run those vs my GTX 770 OC.

The GTX 770 has a 256 (4x64) bit bus width. Since you have 4 64bit controllers, that means each controller can handle 2x 32bit memory chips. So, 8 chips total for 8x256MB = 2048MB or 8x512MB = 4096MB. I don't think I've ever seen 384MB chips, which you would need to get 3GB of VRAM.

I am wondering since same Bios, anyone try a Bios mod voltage on it?

By default, the maximum voltage is maxed in the GTX 770 BIOS at 1.2125V. You can see that in the GTX770 BIOS screenie I posted above. The voltage is grayed out and cannot be changed from 1.2125V

Back