• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NZXT Announces H230 Chassis and HALE82 V2 Power Supplies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Having looked at some pictures of the HALE82 V2 PSUs and looked at their internals a bit, I would not buy them. Looks like Sirfa OEM and at best Taiwanese caps, but more likely Chinese.
Massive downgrade from the first HALE82s.

The thoughts of the General Assembly of PSU Reviewers can be found here.

bad design

it is so close to being exactly what i was looking for to complete my scheme...but the closer i look the more i realize that basically you can mount it on bottom but in order for the NZXT logo on the side to not be upside down you have to mount it so that the fan is blowing down through the bottom of the case which leaves you unable to see the nice looking fan and i would imagine that the people who spend enough on a case that has a vent below the power supply wont spend there money on such a cheap/low end power supply.

The fan on a power supply is an intake fan, it pulls air into the PSU, it doesn't blow air out of it. So, if the fan is on top, then it'll be pulling hot air from inside the case through the PSU. When the fan is facing down, it pulls cool air from outside of the case into the PSU. So, it's actually a good design and NZXT made it so their logo is right side up when installing the PSU in its optimal position.

The fan on a power supply is an intake fan, it pulls air into the PSU, it doesn't blow air out of it. So, if the fan is on top, then it'll be pulling hot air from inside the case through the PSU. When the fan is facing down, it pulls cool air from outside of the case into the PSU. So, it's actually a good design and NZXT made it so their logo is right side up when installing the PSU in its optimal position.

i emailed NZXT about this issue previously and their reply was -

Hello Jason,

It can be mounted either way. Some people mount it face down, to blow the air out the bottom of there case While the others mount it with the fan facing inside the case.

It is all up to you on how you want to mount it. It will not hurt it at all.

Sincerely,

NZXT Support

so according to NZXT support ... its a exhaust fan...but even if it was a intake fan..one would need a vent below the fan to utilize such a thing...i dont know of many cases with a vent directly below the psu...

That NZXT Support rep is wrong. He/She doesn't know that their own PSU fan is an intake, even though it's obvious by looking at the way the fan is mounted... Plus, I don't think I've ever seen a PSU with an exhaust fan before. The mesh in the back of the PSU (where the switch and plug are located) is where the warm air is exhausted. The fan pulls air in and then the air exits the back of the PSU.

The majority of non-OEM cases these days have a vent in the bottom of the case or either raised standoffs for the PSU to sit on to give it room to pull in air.

NZXT support just dropped approximately four levels in my book.

Same here, and my scale only has 3 levels...

sweet. that is awesome news...i really love the look of this psu and was super bummed when i was under the impression it was an exhaust fan..i actually just looked and realized i have a vent below my power supply location so this will work great for me... now if we could just talk NZXT into making sleeved wiring kits instead of just extensions...which is why i will still end up with a corsair psu in the end but maybe this will do for now since its so friggin cheap

Back