• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Z87-A Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

With the release of the new Haswell line of CPUs, motherboard manufacturers are rolling out motherboards to support the new socket 1150 platform. Overclockers’ very own hokiealumnus recently published a review on ASUS’ top dog for this platform, the Maximus VI Extreme. Today however, we’ll tone it down a bit and review one of ASUS’ Z87 entry-level mainstream motherboards – the Z87-A. If you’re looking to get into the Haswell game at an affordable price, does ASUS have something worth your consideration in the Z87-A? Let’s find out!

... Return to article to continue reading.

the color scheme is definitely for those noctua fans ;) lol

What's it say on the largish square chip on the left here?

asus_z87a-50.jpg

That's the voltage controller.

Thanks for the review Hokie will post this in the thread that was asking for help on these Motherboards. AJ. :) ;)

I'm curious as he mentioned he couldn't find a Digi+ chip. Makes me wonder if Asus used the IR/CHiL branded part and called it Digi+ anyway instead of slapping their own label on it.

Huh, interesting. It would be surprising if they didn't; the first time I can recall actually. That one I can't answer without guessing. :)

Yeah I haven't seen any personally that they called Digi+ that didn't have the branding on the chip as well. There have been a couple I've seen pictures of that didn't look like it did, but I was unable to get confirmation.

Prob the same chip as on Deluxe, DIGI+, this one:

Lboard11.jpg

I was unable to locate any ICs with the Digi+ branding on them. However, given that the VRM is now integrated into the CPU, I'm not convinced it's really That big of a deal. All the typical ASUS DIGI+ adjustments are still in the UEFI, that much I can confirm.

It's not a big deal from a performance standpoint at all, any modern digital chip (read: CHiL's/IR's stuff you find everywhere, including inside the Digi+ chips), I'm curious from the marketing standpoint mostly.
The controller chip was under one of the MOSFET heatsinks.

Ok, so I pulled the heatsink again and had another look. Sure enough it does indeed have the DIGI+ EPU stamp on it. I think what happened is I replaced the heatsinks before I took the up close pictures of the onboard ICs. I do however believe this to be the first time I've seen the DIGI+ EPU chip under a heatsink, but I've only reviewed about four or five ASUS boards.

Anyway, the review has been updated with the correct picture and the reference to not being able to find the DIGI+ EPU markings was edited.

Thanks for the keen eyes everyone!

It's definitely the first I've seen under a heatsink, I expect it has more to do with available heatsinks/mounting holes and ideal VRM layout than it does the chip getting hot.
Thanks for checking it for me!

No problem, I'm glad you asked. It got me thinking and motivated to recheck!

Back