• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Patriot Hellfire M.2 NVMe SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Up next in our review carousel is another very fast M.2 PCIe NVMe-based SSD. With only Toshiba/OCZ and Samsung generally competing in this enthusiast space, it will be nice to see some more competition. To that end, our friends at Patriot have kindly sent over their 480 GB Hellfire M.2 SSD. The Hellfire promises to be pretty quick using its Phison PS5007-E7 controller shared by others in the market. Let's dig in a bit and see what makes the Hellfire tick, and see how it performs in our testing.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Joe. It seems that we'll be seeing more of these drives from everyone in that market, a good thing. I'd recommend even the slowest of these type drives to anyone with a need for speed. SSDs are great compared to spinners, but these things are simply awesome. I guess you'll be busy with all the product intro's for the next few years. ;)

Nice writeup Joe! Makes me rethink my M2 purchase. Hope price drops on Father's Day. I was looking at the Samsung 960 Evo M2 Nvme.

I have two Hellfire SSD in RAID for couple of months now and they're working great. Drives are using standard Microsoft drivers so there are no issues with Windows installation and they're not heating up as much as Samsung SSD so don't really need additional cooling. Performance wise the Hellfire is better than Samsungs in average constant performance but a bit worse in peak bandwidth. That's what I can read from benchmarks.

I'm not sure why but some results in the review are lower than expected (especially Anvil's Storage Utilities). I had no issues on X99 Taichi motherboard.
Here are my results made on the 240GB Hellfire about half year ago ( 480GB supposed to be faster ):

Hellfire_pic5.jpg

Hellfire_pic3.jpg

Hellfire_pic4.jpg

Right now both my SSD are working on ASUS APEX and I see no performance issues.

Last edited:
Great review Joe and kudo's to Patriot for joining the race. It's always good to have additional options.

Back