• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Toshiba OCZ RC100 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

NVMe based M.2 drives have been in the consumer landscape for a couple of years now. Typically these blazing fast mass storage devices come with a much higher price per gigabyte than its 2.5"/7mm SATA based cousins. As time has gone on, more players entered the market and budget oriented NVMe M.2 drives started to appear lowering the price per gigabyte while still being faster than SATA based drives. In this case, Toshiba OCZ has sent us the RC100 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD to review.

Click here to view the article.

Nice review Joe. And you are correct on all 'sales' points as I also see the competitive landscape shifting in this digital arena. Hopefully the factories will utilize their expansions and ramp-ups to continue pushing the envelope: bigger, faster, more affordable. Good times in computing, that's for sure.

Robert17
Nice review Joe. And you are correct on all 'sales' points as I also see the competitive landscape shifting in this digital arena. Hopefully the factories will utilize their expansions and ramp-ups to continue pushing the envelope: bigger, faster, more affordable. Good times in computing, that's for sure.

I agree on all points. Over twice the speed of my 850 EVO 500 GB, which is rapidly filling up, for the same price I paid for the Sammy. This would be a great option for my OS, leaving the EVO for my games.

Thanks for the review :)

I had not given NVMe drives any thought until I bought my new board. I had been using 2.5 SSD's that where all topped out at 550/525 speed.
I have to admit that I like this new speed increase :)

It seems like the compact size is the only thing this has going for it. The $155 retail price just isn't competitive when you have drives like the Adata SX8200 at $140 (has frequently been on sale for $99) that are much faster or drives like the Intel 660p with similar speed but costs $99 (lowest price I have seen on this is $89 but it hasn't been out long).

Like ITX boards, there is typically a slight premium for that smaller form factor. This drive is unique with the controller and flash on the same IC. That $99 Intel though is quite the deal!

Back