• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today marks the release of NVIDIA's latest video card and architecture in the Turing based RTX GPUs. The RTX family will consist of the RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti initially. In a departure from past releases, consumers will be able to get their hands on the RTX 2080 and current flagship RTX 2080 Ti at launch with the 2070 available a short time later.

Click here to view the article.

Great job Joe, like the upgrade from the "old" style founders edition!

TY!

Me too. The style, dual fans, and power delivery have improved over the previous blower and 'good enough' specifications. It makes the FE a viable choice even with partner cards in the landscape...

... which, we will have an MSI 2080 review up here next week sometime, FYI. :)

Overall it looks to me that you may as well buy a 1080ti/used 1080ti instead of a 2080.

2080ti is a beast, but is over double the cost of a 1080ti at this point.

Awesome Review Joe! these are some pretty sweet looking cards

Yeah, the price for performance isn't great here looking back generationally. But I also believe everything has moved up the product stack a bit. TU102 in the 2080Ti is a full implementation, unlike the GPU in 1080Ti isn't a full implementation, the Titan XP is.

But yeah, we are paying for the tensor cores, rt cores, and bleeding edge technology without a ton of support at this time. They are still some seriously fast cards though.

Fantastic Job Sir!
Glad the quality went up in the FE cards, makes more sense to up the game on that front. The automatic OCing too is great news. Little fiddling and you are up and running. Might take the fun out of OCing but I'm sure there are additional ways to tweak it.

Overall sad to see the performance not increase drastically. Getting the 12-25% increase in the 2080TI is nice over the 1080TI but the price increase... ouch. Lots of other new features though so the cost offset might be less in the end. Will be watching these cards more.

You also have to consider those increases are more when comparing like cards (FE to FE). Unfortunately, all cards we tested with were factory overclocked quite a bit, so those values would be higher.

Looking back on things, I wish we would have run them at the FE clocks... live and learn. :)

I see you took the cooler off the 2080 Ti, got any closer-up pictures of the GPU and how they had it pasted? Is it worth taking the cooler off and redoing it with something better?

I'm happy to see some of the titles you tested went from 'kinda choppy' to 'definitely decent' at 4k - that's what I was hoping for. I'd love to see some Fallout 4 testing with the official high res texture pack, hint hint :)

Closeups, no, but you should be able to get the image large and see the incredibly liberal amount of paste. Like, gobs of it. I wouldn't worry about a re-TIM personally. :)

We do not own FO4, sorry. :(

You also have to consider those increases are more when comparing like cards (FE to FE). Unfortunately, all cards we tested with were factory overclocked quite a bit, so those values would be higher.

Looking back on things, I wish we would have run them at the FE clocks... live and learn. :)

Yeah, my ASUS Strix OC is a beast isn't it, not sure I could have gotten it to run that slow ha ha

Yeah, the price for performance isn't great here looking back generationally. But I also believe everything has moved up the product stack a bit. TU102 in the 2080Ti is a full implementation, unlike the GPU in 1080Ti isn't a full implementation, the Titan XP is.

But yeah, we are paying for the tensor cores, rt cores, and bleeding edge technology without a ton of support at this time. They are still some seriously fast cards though.

2080Ti isn't the full chip. Neither is the 2080.

Pq0lkIF.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#Quadro_RTX_x000_series

This is a very well done review. The results for the 2080 Ti are very impressive, but the 2080 over 1080 or 1080 Ti is a little lacking. I hope to see some more demonstrations of the new technology though. Perhaps when these cards go down in price some and ray tracing shows how good it is, perhaps then it'll be worthwhile.

Correct. My apologies. Isn't that set for the Quadro? Point being there isn't a consumer level card based on the TU102 which will have more... they are workstation/Quadro based. I should have clarified.

Though, that leaves room for a Titan response, but, maybe NVIDIA got smart and ditched the crossover Titan for more distinct product lines.

Last edited:
Excellent review E-Dog, the extra cost is definitely there to pay for RT/Tensor. The generational boost isnt as significant as the 900 to 10 series, but the 20 series just departs from the traditional rasterization approach.

I am guessing RT and DLSS must be in the works for BFV and upcoming patches for the DLSS games.

There will at least need to be new benches with DLSS on/off, and similar with RT but this will be in a new league of benching due to new lighting characteristics.

I really hope the 2060 is a lot more affordable, or this series will have a really slow adoption rate / game title support for RTX features.

Very nice review! also the 1st i saw online! i cant wait till mine comes in!!!! (and the 9th gen would be nice to have, C'mon intel!)

I really hope the 2060 is a lot more affordable, or this series will have a really slow adoption rate / game title support for RTX features.

According to a few tech journalists, the 2060 and below won't have RTX features. This makes sense as the RTX portion is a huge part of the die. As the gaming portion gets smaller, it makes less and less economical sense to include the RTX portion. In other words, because of the size of the RTX portion, the 2060 die wouldn't be that much smaller than a 2070 die and Nvidia wouldn't want to drop the price down to mid range levels for such a big die. The 2070 is actually already the mid range die (TU107) though this die is a bit beefier in the product stack compared to Pascal (GP107 a.k.a. GTX 1060).

There's also rumors that 2060 and below will be rebadged 1070 and below GPUs, but again, that's just rumors.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Correct. My apologies. Isn't that set for the Quadro? Point being there isn't a consumer level card based on the TU102 which will have more... they are workstation/Quadro based. I should have clarified.

Though, that leaves room for a Titan response, but, maybe NVIDIA got smart and ditched the crossover Titan for more distinct product lines.

Yeah, I think Nvidia is done offering a consumer level Titan. Too many people in the research and professional fields were skipping Quadros and buying them instead (hypothesis based upon Nvidia's EULA changes and Titan price and branding changes). Unless a miracle happens and Navi wows the world before Nvidia is ready with 7nm, I don't think we'll see a Turing Titan, at least not one that isn't positioned like Titan V as more of a "light professional" card.

Back