• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

We covered the launch of AMD's new 7 nm CPUs just a couple of weeks back when we reviewed the 3900X and the 3700X. Today we're dropping down in core count and price and taking a hard look at the Ryzen 5 3600X.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The new Ryzen CPUs are widely available now except for the 16-core, 32-thread Ryzen 9 3950X which is to launch in September of this year."

This is patently false. Neither Newegg nor Amazon have the 3900X in stock (Amazon has 3rd party sellers at $800) and the 3700X goes in and out of stock at Newegg while Amazon only has 3rd party sellers priced at $50 over list price. I know some of us here are big fans of AMD, but lets just stick to the truth.

"The new Ryzen CPUs are widely available now except for the 16-core, 32-thread Ryzen 9 3950X which is to launch in September of this year."

This is patently false. Neither Newegg nor Amazon have the 3900X in stock (Amazon has 3rd party sellers at $800) and the 3700X goes in and out of stock at Newegg while Amazon only has 3rd party sellers priced at $50 over list price. I know some of us here are big fans of AMD, but lets just stick to the truth.

3900X is the only CPU out of stock on newegg... the majority of the product stack is in stock. I would say that saying they are widely available is patently true. :sly:

It's true. They are. Just because one sku sells out fast does not make it false. I was in Microcenter last night and they had to s of 3700x's as well as everything else but the 3900x. I seen 3700x's in stock all the time for the past week or so.

Nice write up Johan..... as always.

Edit ..... I think the last time I looked canada computers had the complete line up in stock with the exception of the 3950X, now that was a couple weeks ago so things could of changed since.

Good review, I know the 3700X, 3800X and the 3900X are real beast, only one I didn't get is the 3600X but will get one for the grand kid, he is still on a 2 core cpu:)

3900X is the only CPU out of stock on newegg... the majority of the product stack is in stock. I would say that saying they are widely available is patently true. :sly:

It depends on when/where you look. Best thing to do is to have newegg or whatever reseller notify you. One reseller I checked said they have over 4000 3900X CPUs back-ordered. They are getting 3900x cpus in, they are just trickling in low quantity. Lisa Su said they are working on addressing the issue. The lower end SKUs are generally available though.

Don't you find it a bit disappointing they had any stock issues at all? even their GPU line had a bit of lack on stock!
Considering Intels prices and their long lasting stock issues of late and Nvidias pricing.

AMD basically had a sure thing for a lineup all they had to do was keep stock full and they could just wheel in the $ trucks.

It really must drive their R&D team nuts they create winner products for the first time in years and lack of stock lol.

Don't you find it a bit disappointing they had any stock issues at all? even their GPU line had a bit of lack on stock!
Considering Intels prices and their long lasting stock issues of late and Nvidias pricing.

AMD basically had a sure thing for a lineup all they had to do was keep stock full and they could just wheel in the $ trucks.

It really must drive their R&D team nuts they create winner products for the first time in years and lack of stock lol.

There is a big gap between R&D and implementation, especially when you don't own the FAB and have to glue multiple chips together.

Also, die shrinks are not as easy as turning the dial down from 14 to 7 to 5 as some people seem to think. Rumor is that AMD is getting a 70% yield on the 7nm process which is good but not great. If you combine that information with the experience most people have with the chips underperforming the marketed performance (4.6+ GHz Max Boost) and that points to the fact that they are probably ending up with a lot more slow chiplets and very few that will approach or meet 4.5+ GHz.

I have a friend that shelled out for a 3900x and only 2 of his cores will make 4.5 GHz. The other 10 will only get to 4.3 GHz. None of them will ever get to 4.6 which is what is on the label. I told him to RMA the chip.

Considering the 3950x is scheduled to launch in September, I'd bet that they are binning their little buts off right now trying to meet demand on the high end (3950x is marketed at 4.7 GHz MB), while there seems to be no issue getting your hands on one of the lower-end chips.

Last edited:
Label says max boost not boat. If he's not hitting 4.6 then it's one of the limiting factors that pbo watches to control the boost. Or the bios for his mobo. I'm guessing it's heat.

Yup he's got a defective 3900x. Tell him to send it back because he should be doing an 4.6ghz all core oc with the stock heatsink on a b350 mobo at 1.25v I have yet to see a 3900x not pull 4.7 GHz on all cores

Attachments

• 20190727_214739.jpg
    20190727_214739.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 477
Shawn, in the Pushing the Limits section, you dont really say what you did to try overclocking. Can you walk me through your settings? Did you just increase voltage and multiplier? Do you still have this chip to try some more testing? I've had great success getting mine stable north of 4400mhz under 1.45v, but I'm battling voltage drop issues on my cheap PG4 board (went cheap after all the reviews stated it couldn't overclock thinking a beefy vram setup wasn't needed then, kicking myself now). Id love to run some settings by you if you still have it to test on a decent board. There's a chance I got really lucky on the silicone, but I'm leaning more towards the correct combination of settings so I'd like to see if others can duplicate it. I'm only on a 360mm rad with my 1600mhz 980ti in the loop as well, and cooling is definitely going to be the limiting factor. 4400mhz @1.42v was pushing 65c during stress testing, runs daily at high 50s/low 60s during gaming sessions.

Rumor is that AMD is getting a 70% yield on the 7nm process which is good but not great. If you combine that information with the experience most people have with the chips underperforming the marketed performance (4.6+ GHz Max Boost) and that points to the fact that they are probably ending up with a lot more slow chiplets and very few that will approach or meet 4.5+ GHz.

I have a friend that shelled out for a 3900x and only 2 of his cores will make 4.5 GHz. The other 10 will only get to 4.3 GHz. None of them will ever get to 4.6 which is what is on the label. I told him to RMA the chip.

Considering the 3950x is scheduled to launch in September, I'd bet that they are binning their little buts off right now trying to meet demand on the high end (3950x is marketed at 4.7 GHz MB), while there seems to be no issue getting your

hands on one of the lower-end chips.

RMA?!… If your friend RMA's that chip for not meeting AMD's max boost then he will most likely get back another chip with ~ similar performance.

You think AMD has a bunch of cherry binned 3900X on the RMA shelf that will do PBO between 44x and 45x all core along with a 46x boost on the strongest two cores?

Look at the Silicon Lottery binning for 3900X: Bottom bin... [email protected] < 40.5x @1.212v < 41x @1.225v < 41.5x @1.237v < Top bin... 42x @1.250v.

Your friends chip most likely falls some place within those five bins... Highly unlikely that he has a defective chip.

Yup he's got a defective 3900x. Tell him to send it back because he should be doing an 4.6ghz all core oc with the stock heatsink on a b350 mobo at 1.25v I have yet to see a 3900x not pull 4.7 GHz on all cores

Hah!! Some trolling here. ;)

A lot has to do with the BIOS not the chip I see 4.6 boost on only one of the boards I have tested so far. You just got lucky or the review samples are a bit dogish

Shawn, in the Pushing the Limits section, you dont really say what you did to try overclocking. Can you walk me through your settings? Did you just increase voltage and multiplier? Do you still have this chip to try some more testing? I've had great success getting mine stable north of 4400mhz under 1.45v, but I'm battling voltage drop issues on my cheap PG4 board (went cheap after all the reviews stated it couldn't overclock thinking a beefy vram setup wasn't needed then, kicking myself now). Id love to run some settings by you if you still have it to test on a decent board. There's a chance I got really lucky on the silicone, but I'm leaning more towards the correct combination of settings so I'd like to see if others can duplicate it. I'm only on a 360mm rad with my 1600mhz 980ti in the loop as well, and cooling is definitely going to be the limiting factor. 4400mhz @1.42v was pushing 65c during stress testing, runs daily at high 50s/low 60s during gaming sessions.
If you're running stable at 4400 I'd say you're doing quite well Jeff, This CPU I have hasn't been able to do that, not stable anyway.

If you're running stable at 4400 I'd say you're doing quite well Jeff, This CPU I have hasn't been able to do that, not stable anyway.

Do you still have your chip and a x570 board to test on? I'd love to know if it's just a good chip, or a combination of my settings. I can send you the settings I used if you want to try it, see if maybe that's all it needs?

Do you still have your chip and a x570 board to test on? I'd love to know if it's just a good chip, or a combination of my settings. I can send you the settings I used if you want to try it, see if maybe that's all it needs?

I still have the CPU and boards, doing a Gigabyte review ATM. I typically use only the multi and voltage (LLC if necessary) I also test with P95 small FFT which really hammers the snot of the CPU.

I still have the CPU and boards, doing a Gigabyte review ATM. I typically use only the multi and voltage (LLC if necessary) I also test with P95 small FFT which really hammers the snot of the CPU.

The friend in question dropped $700 for an Asus Formula. I understand that Asus is still working on BIOS while MSI seems to have things sorted. Is that your experience? :shock:

Isn't the memory test faulty... someone didnt pay attention to the clock settings being on par. Only if you misfit the uclk and mclk such bad results come up.

If you test systems, do your homework first.

Not a good review, it's one that misleads to false assumptions.

Back