• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Network 101: Working from Home and Remote Schooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

As more households are working from home and children are attending school remotely, there are bound to be some major hiccups in connectivity and network strength. We at Overclockers are here to help you diagnose and remedy some of these issues saving you precious time and headaches.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture seems wrong to me, when have Fax machines ever been connected to the internet? Replace the Fax machine picture with 7 Smart phones and Tablets, then add to the Entertainment Console picture another Entertainment Console and 3 Smart TVs and I think you might have a pretty good representation.

Nice article. I had to upgrade my internet to the Brighthouse 400 Mb speed with all the devices using it and me working from home now. Add to that kids and wife playing internet games all summer and my 100 Mb couldn't handle like I wanted it to. It would "work" but I could definitely feel it get bogged down when someone was downloading a large file or something like that.

I will add that when buying your modem it might be a good idea to look at the next level up. I was looking at mid range Arris per the Brighthouse recommended list but found the SB8200 for about $10 more at Office Depot. Now if I ever upgrade to the 1G I already have the modem and it works just fine on the 400 Mb I have now.

That picture seems wrong to me, when have Fax machines ever been connected to the internet? Replace the Fax machine picture with 7 Smart phones and Tablets, then add to the Entertainment Console picture another Entertainment Console and 3 Smart TVs and I think you might have a pretty good representation.
Mine goes to my router because I use Vonage.

Nice article. I had to upgrade my internet to the Brighthouse 400 Mb speed with all the devices using it and me working from home now. Add to that kids and wife playing internet games all summer and my 100 Mb couldn't handle like I wanted it to. It would "work" but I could definitely feel it get bogged down when someone was downloading a large file or something like that.

I will add that when buying your modem it might be a good idea to look at the next level up. I was looking at mid range Arris per the Brighthouse recommended list but found the SB8200 for about $10 more at Office Depot. Now if I ever upgrade to the 1G I already have the modem and it works just fine on the 400 Mb I have now.

Mine goes to my router because I use Vonage.

Agreed, going up in router is almost never an issue. I've been running an SB6183 for quite a few years now over varying speeds of service from TWC/Spectrum.

Here is my network. Ignore the names for the cable modem, router and switches, I used Packet Tracer to model my network, all but the internet side of the modem is 1gb speed. Only devices that is not 1gb is the laptop and the 2 printers.

mynetwork2.jpg

Last edited:
Back