• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE How Much Does It Cost To Run Your PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You guys may have seen this before, but we've gone back and updated this article with current hardware, energy prices, etc.
Take a look and let us know how much your system costs to run each month. Mine is about $12 per month.

I'm guesstimating ~$5ish, maybe $6 for my desktop. I pay a bit more than the article - little over 16 cents per kwh. Currently my UPS is reporting it at 130w with one monitor (LG 27UK670) and the desktop at a mild load (twitch stream and web browsing). Added another 50w for the second monitor.

I don't run it 24/7. don't even put it to sleep - full shutdown at night and during the week I don't even turn it back on till I get home from work, so it probably puts in a standard 40 hour work week.

And after doing all that I remembered the CPU's been running at stock for the past month, lol. I'll try to swing back to update after I reset everything.

I want to run mine off solar. I can't wait to retire my desktop. I guarantee the smaller footprint and fewer em's will be felt in a good way.
I have no idea what the actual cost is but I only know it could be less.

The two variations I made from the article:

1. Substituted Furmark for 3DMark Firestrike Ultra
2. For the Game I used Half-Life:ALYX (VR)

Test Configuration

PSU Corsair RM850 (80+ Gold)
MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B450i-Gaming ITX
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X (Stock)
CoolingCustom water
RAMGSkill Trident Z RGB, 2×8 GB DDR4 3200 CL16 (1.35V)
Video CardGigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8GB (Stock)
StorageCrucial P1 1TB NVME Gen3
Fans(1) Phanteks 140 mm, (4) Cougar Turbine 120 mm) (Curve temp dependent)
CasePhanteks ENTHOO Evolv ITX (Customized)
PumpXSPC D5T
DisplayAOC AGONAG271QX 27″ (2560 x 1440 144 Hz, IPS)
VR HeadsetOculus Rift-S
OSWindows 10-64Bit (Performance Power Setting)

Idle$6.70
Gaming$34.47
CPU Stress$15.32
CPU/GPU Stress$19.15

You can really see the difference Furmark makes on the power draw.

EDIT: Re-running the CPU/GPU test to verify results. Pretty surprised ALYX was nearly twice the power draw.

Last edited:
2 PC's below 4 GPU's total 24/7 fah=I don't even want to know ...I'll guess at $90 but my electric bill is about $175 per month on average which includes an electric heat pump. My wife also has the TV on 20 hours a day.

It's sad but that is one my smaller bills...:rain:

Looks like I’m still not caring about power draw. I was aways the “60 fps in Crysis 3 minimum regardless of anything else” crowd tbh

Back