• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.1A or 1.2 celeron tualatin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

advanR

I am going to be grabbing one of these cpu's soon and want to know which one to get. It all depends on what the overclockability is likely to be for both. I would like to know the average for both cpu's, and whether the higher fsb of the 1.1 chip will make my system faster. My assumption right now is that a 1.2 will make it to about 130mhz, and a 1.1 would make it to 138mhz.

Both of the ppl who wrote the overclockers.com reviews seemed to get the 1.2 to pretty high fsb speeds. Generally I've gotten the impression that these speeds aren't common and I would be better off with a 1.1a.

I have had my system at 145fsb for the past year with no problems. The cooling I'm using is a PEP66 with 38cfm delta, so i don't think my system will be limiting me.

I would be buying the cpu from newegg likely so the hope for a newer stepping isn't high.

Thanks

Tipycol

This thread seems to say that go with the 1.2 if your max fsb is 133, and go with the 1.1 if you plan to pass the 133fsb mark. So basically for you your choice would be 12*133=1596MHz or 11*145=1595Mhz. The Celeron 1.1A would give you the better performance, since the fsb is higher. Just remember that every chip is different and what you get might not make it that high.

Good luck with your OC

Tipycol

muddocktor

Retired
Go with the 1.1A and I think that you will stand a better chance of a decent oc, especially if your board doesn't kick in a 1/4 divider before 133 mhz like some I've heard of. I got an especially crappy oc'ing 1.1, wont' even make a 133 fsb with over 1.6 v vcore. My P3S proc in my Gigabyte board could do faster than that with stock vcore.

Darkseid

i was hoping to get a 1.1a as 143 seems to be my mobo max, and then get another mobo that can get higher fsb for my 1.0a because this chip is at 1.43ghz with stock fan and stock vcore, and never, i mean NEVER goes beyond 37c full load

OP
advanR

advanR

it would be really nice if we could get benchmarks from the two systems. something like 1.2 @ 130, and 1.1 @ 140. I am not so sure 1.1A's can hit 145.

TASOS

The newer stepping and pack dates of 1.1A might be able to hit 145+ fsb

Mine is a year old...(early production)

TUK101

I would go with the 1.1, as there is a better percentage of success as for people being able to hit 133fsb and up. From what I have been reading on there a lot of the 1.2's and up are crapping out around 128-130 fsb. Could just be that these people are not using enough cooling, but just be advised. I am very pleased with my [email protected] fsb. I have ran it as high as 140 fsb with no problems, but when it gets really hot in my house (90F and up) the cpu is not quite so stabile anymore. Anyhow, my recomendation is for the 1.1a Celeron.

KLowD9x

Thats wrong, I got a 1.3 that wont do over 120FSB :eek::eek:!!!!! I have tried everything to get this chip to overclock better, but it just wont go :(

Brosken

Registered
To Darkseid...

...my 1.0a because this chip is at 1.43ghz with stock fan and stock vcore, and never, i mean NEVER goes beyond 37c full load

I was just wondering. What is your case-temp???

Last edited:

KILLorBE

TUK101 said:
Could just be that these people are not using enough cooling

Probably true, my 1.2 (SL5XS tA1 Boxed) would only do 1440 (120 FSB) with normal air cooling, now with my PEP66+62W peltier and screamer it does 1620 (135 FSB) (100% stable at 1.6 133FSB), if I cool the CPU to ~5C it'll POST at 1740 (145 FSB).

I believe the 1.2 tB1 stepping does alot better, at least the SL68P does.

But if you're not sure what you're gonna get I suggest you get a 1.1A.

Darkseid

to Brosken...

case temp is between 28-30, one 80mm fan in. and one out, sometimes i put another 80mm fan in front of cpu at 45 degrees, that lows my temps very much, but without that the max is 37
stock fan lapped and IHS very little lapped

Darkseid

one more thing i just check, at 1.0ghz, i mean stock speed it is 32 full load, and case temp is now 29

Damn i need a better mobo

Homer

u should try shuttle board AV18E if ur on a budget. its a great board, i got my 1Ghz A @ 1.5 w/1.7 voltage.

Brosken

Registered
To Darkseid:

That is real strange. I use a much better cooling than the stock one. Both heatsink and fan. I guess the 1.0a runs much cooler than the 1.2a at stock speed and voltage but mine runs 10C over casetemp at stock speed and voltage. And this is at idle! My casetemp is 32C, and I have also two 80mm fans installed. One sucking in air at front and one blowing out at the back. I know my cpu-tempreader isn't wrong. It was before though. And I know that if I should put on the stock heatsink and fan the temp would be at least 4-5C higher. Are you sure that your temp-reader is alright? Mine was just like the one you have with fantastic temps. But than I found out that it didn't touch the bottom of the cpu that it should and I fixed that by bending it up a little. Now my temp-readings are about 6-10C higher (can't remember exactly), but I know they are right.

So my advice is to check your temp-reader. It seems fishy me.

I now am running my 1.2a at [email protected] and it's temp is 33C idle (casetemp is 30C). If one compares to your temps that are about the same overclocked 430mhz and at 1.5v and also crappy cooling one must realise that something is wrong. And I am almost 100% sure that it's not my readings... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

looktall

Homer said:
u should try shuttle board AV18E if ur on a budget. its a great board, i got my 1Ghz A @ 1.5 w/1.7 voltage.

you're not kidding there. :D

my AV18E was the best AU$150 i ever spent on a mobo. (they cost even less now)

has fsb's in 1mhz increments up to 166mhz. allows voltage adjustments up to 1.825v, without the need to mod the mobo.
it's a damned good little board.

it allows you to run your ram at hclk-33, which means if you don't have PC150 ram (or ram that will run above 133mhz) you can run fsb's of more than 133mhz and not worry about your ram crapping out.

you should be able to go higher with that chip. i reckon 1.6 is not out of the question, but of course that depends on the ability of your AGP/PCI devices. the lack of a 1/5 divider or being able to lock the PCI/AGP is a bit of a let down, but i don't think there's too many s370 mobos that do that anyway.

the sandra screenie i posted earlier in the thread was done on one of these mobos.

Homer

yep this board works like a charm and got it for 60 bux thats with tax already new :D

i never tried using hclk-33 on my board i just up'ed the fsb. i need to check the manual on this. well it make any difference if i set it to hclk-33?

what is ur setup looktall in ur bios if u dont mind me ask? i would like to try to hit 160. all i can go up too is 153 without it pooping out on me anything high i cant boot into windows.