• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.1a overclocking troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

advanR

I have a 1.1a celeron running on my cuv4x. I just isolated the 3 pins. connected ak4 to ak26 and connected vss to vid25mv.

The problem is, it wont overclock very well. And it seems odd. with stock voltage it can hit 120fsb. but then after that it wont boot windows with anything else, no matter how much voltage you use. 124fsb with 1.7v will never work. I can post at up to 142fsb, but it just freezes when the bootloader starts.

When i had a 700E before it would be stable at a max of 980, but the max boot was 1022. You can see how i think this is weird. Normally the two are not that far apart.

I have pondered that maybe when i adjust voltage in BIOS it isnt actually changed. But asus utility recognizes it as being more. How does asus utility know what the voltage is at? I have also thought that since 120fsb is when the pci bus is at 40mhz(the max for the board) then maybe the divider isnt getting reset correctly once 124 hits.

BTW, im using crucial cas2 133 ram. so that doesnt look like the culprit.

Can you think of any reason why this would happen? Or is this not as unusual as i think.

thanks

TUK101

One of the hardest things for a comp to do is get booted into windows. This is when a comp is under full load and doing many many things at once to get windows loaded as fast as possible. Anyways, my point is that you are probably getting too hot when you boot into windows, or the hdd cannot handle the high bus speed being thrown at it. I would try to hit 133 fsb, as that will put everything into spec. I have had a few OC's that run really well at the natural divider settings, but not even boot at lower. Like my Celeron 500 would run all day long at 100fsb, but not at 83. By the way, what are your temps like? And what kind of cooling are you running?

OP
advanR

advanR

Its running pretty damn cool. Load its around 35 degrees celsius.

And this isnt happening when windows starts loading, but when the bootloader appears. You try and select an OS and its frozen. Likewise if you go into BIOS then you can move the cursor a couple times and it freezes.

I have another question. Does the hdd stabilty rely on anything other than pci bus speed? Because the pci speed is at 40 when its at 120fsb and then it gets set lower. What i mean is that i know the pci speed isnt outrageaus, so does the fsb affect it? I think my hdd is close to failing again because it was making noises the other day.

BTW, i was running the pc at 135 with the processor before for over 2 years. So thats not a problem. Also, 133 wouldnt work.

If I cant get this to work ill sell it on ebay and pickup another for $50.