• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.40GHz Pentium3 Officially Out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/products/workgroup/uniserver/148.htm

The very speedy 1.40GHz 512KB L2 Pentium3 has finally been announced and is being shipped to all stores as you read this.

Although the price tag on this processor is high, performance is simular to the 1.8GHz Pentium4 processor. A very good upgrade alternative for those of you who have less than 1GHz and have the Pentium3/Celeron interface.

In April, Intel will release an even faster P3 clocked at 1.53GHz. This processor should show performance even greator than a 2GHz Pentium4!

Ohya, and a 1.4GHz Celeron processor in March.

AXIA

I'm already lusting. A pair of these in a good dually board should scream. :D

any word on the price tag, i think i paid 260 for mine retail boxed(1.26's). Good to know i can always upgrade in 2 or 3 yrs.. thank u lord:):)

I currently have the 1.26 ($260 and google) I looked at the 1.4 ($340 at google) I just didnt see the benefit of that little of an improvement for so much $$$$ I ordered a 1.6 nothey, a new mobo, AND 256 of DRAM and it cost me $45 dollars more than just the 1.4 p3! Dont get me wrong, I really like my 1.26, but I have a feeling that once I get the northy over 2 gigs I will leave my 1.26 in the dust.

CPIETRAS said:
I currently have the 1.26 ($260 and google) I looked at the 1.4 ($340 at google) I just didnt see the benefit of that little of an improvement for so much $$$$ I ordered a 1.6 nothey, a new mobo, AND 256 of DRAM and it cost me $45 dollars more than just the 1.4 p3! Dont get me wrong, I really like my 1.26, but I have a feeling that once I get the northy over 2 gigs I will leave my 1.26 in the dust.

LOL, Sorry, thats NORTHY, not nothey.

why not just get the 1.8ghz Northwood for 100 dollars cheaper or the 2ghz Northwood for the same price. i'm suprised Intel still bother with the pentium 3's

well, for dualies, these were cheaper(1.26's) than a Xeon at the time. And i didnt find a MP board iI liked, so i went tualatin. They had very good reviews, so i invested in them. I am glad to see that i will be able to upgrade in the future. Now i can keep this rig for 5+ years no problem ;)

clock for clock, a p3 does more than a p4.

the p4 does about 75% of the clock per clock work compared to an AMD cpu. the p3 is actually above the AMD's clock for clock, but Intel chose to move to a faster clock speed cpu, the p4.

if intel were smart, theyd continue both. the 1.26 p3's are kicking some serious AMD and P4 butt in almost all benchies, id almost certainly get one at some point.

CPIETRAS said:

you're right

Cooler666 said:
why not just get the 1.8ghz Northwood for 100 dollars cheaper or the 2ghz Northwood for the same price. i'm suprised Intel still bother with the pentium 3's

me too, but I guess as long as you guys still buy pentium3's they make money either way. Intel will make pentium3's for a loooooong time if they sell enough of em

i think we are forgetting that the p3 tualatin is a server chip. I think that these chips serve to bridge the gap between dual xeons and older xeons. For a total system, a tualatin server is gonna be alot cheaper than a xeon p4 system. {Plus it will perform great.

I have 2 in a workstation config. And i guess i am in the minority in this forum for the most part, but I built this sytem for the long hual. I dropped 2.3k for it, and its gonna last me for 5-8 yrs. no problem. And it performs amazingly well with all my applications that i run.

But for the user who likes to o/c and upgrade, i dont think these tualatins are a good buy. They are at the end of the road really. Sooner than later the celly's will go to a diff pin config, leaving 370 in the dust. I think intel is just trying to milk the 370 for all its worth. When the northwood ( .13 and 512k) came out, there was no looking bak.
Whos gonna make a mobo ata133 for a 370...no1..ddr for a 370..no1...rdram for a 370..dont and wont.

Now im glad that they are gonna continue speeding these tualies up for a year or so, cuz 3 or 4 years down the road i can upgrade my cpu's..then ill get even longer life out this motha;) And it will be soo cheap to do so, cuz celly's will be a p4(wlmt) by then.

good point, but i still like my P-s alot:D and did you guys say april 1.53? uh..that'z my b-day..perhaps a little something somehting for my rig as well:p

I also like my PIII-S setup. Its very fast, very cool running, very quiet. I do think this is my last S370 setup. Time to move on.

mikester said:
clock for clock, a p3 does more than a p4.

the p4 does about 75% of the clock per clock work compared to an AMD cpu. the p3 is actually above the AMD's clock for clock,

Funny but dident the basic Athlon T-Bird out perform the P-3 clock for clock ? I would like to see stock 1 Gig p-3 and 1 Gig Athlon benchmarks.I am sure Amd was the winner hands down....

from what i remember theye very close, or the p3 beats it. but if youre taling FPU and ALU, then im in the grey.

once i get my 1ghz EB ill do some sandra tests and post them, if we can find someone with a 1ghz athlon we can compare no problem.

Back