• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.4TB(266) + KT7 (non-A). Is 1200 the best I can get from it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k_lined4lyf

Registered
Hi folks,

I have a question. I'm thinking about getting a 1.4TBird(266) for my Abit KT7 (non-A, non-RAID). Assuming it will come unlocked, I was intending to set it to 14X100. Well, I looked in the bios, and I saw no 14x multiplier setting. The highest one I saw was "x12above" for the 1300(100) and up, I'm assuming. I'd venture to guess that the x12above setting will rely on the cpu's default multiplier setting to determine the speed. Am I right in this assumption? Not exactly sure how this will affect me at this point, but the main question is is it possible to get it to run with a 14x multiplier somehow?
Btw, I'm trying to avoid getting a 200 FSB model because a) I want a factory unlocked chip, and b) I want to use it in a future rig.

Thanks

K

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
If I remember right, the only way to get 1.4GHz was to use a 200FSB variant that had the L1 cut for a certain BIOS to read it as 1.4GHz. Maybe a more current BIOS would give you more options. Just remember that the 266FSB come unlocked & the 200FSB come locked on the 1.4s:beer:

Guero

From what I understand the KT7 will never support anything over the Athlon 1.4 (100 FSB). I would not invest in the 1.4(266)!

Quote From Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 Faq:

KT7/KT7-RAID: 100MHz (200MHz DDR) FSB processors only. Fastest processor supported is the Athlon 1400(100) - but it must have locked (disconnected) L1 bridges. AthlonXP processors are not and will not be supported.

SpyderMatrix

sonny said:
If I remember right, the only way to get 1.4GHz was to use a 200FSB variant that had the L1 cut for a certain BIOS to read it as 1.4GHz. Maybe a more current BIOS would give you more options. Just remember that the 266FSB come unlocked & the 200FSB come locked on the 1.4s:beer:
yes you can support the 1.4 with a bios upgrade with out have to cut the L1 bridges and will revert back the the 200 FSB

elysium

k_lined4lyf said:
Where is this bios? I have yet to come across it.

Not sure this is serius meant, but I will answer it anyway.

When you boot up, and the specifications in your rig are listed, just press "del" iff running win9x or "F8" (I think) in NT (2000). Then you will enter bios.

Look around in there, and read around on the subject in these forums. It is very important you are familiar with BIOS!

Ely