• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.53GHz P3-S Soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80616

Here is a place you can pick up the 1.4GHz P3-S for under $310 if you cannot wait for this even faster beasty CPU. The 1.4GHz P3-S has the same overall performance of a 2GHz Pentium4 Northwood CPU.

1.53GHz expected release : June 2002 $320

The 1.53GHz version will have the performance level of a 2.20GHz Pentium4 processor and will be priced around $320 at initial release (Cheaper than a 2.2 northwood). Overclocking potential will be limited by the motherboards and not by the CPU. The 1.4GHz P3-S will easily hit 1.80GHz on air, impressive!

What I want to see is a 1.53GHz P3-S @ 2GHz on air running DDR (PC2700) ram.

11.5 X 174MHz = 2001.0MHz

This is currently being done at best computers store on the otherside of town. They already have 1.4GHz P3-S systems running over 1.8GHz and they got DDR-Ram on those suckers.

Oh man, imagine going from a 400MHz CPU to a 1533MHz CPU without having to change the motherboard or notin.

AXIA

If you don't mind me asking Axia, what is your source that it will come out in June 2002. The last info i heard on it from the register (i posted the link previously) said intel cancelled the 1.53PIII-S.

What I want to see is a 1.53GHz P3-S @ 2GHz on air running DDR (PC2700) ram.

Two things come to mind actualy three. One what good does DDR2700 do, the tuly/p3 can not use dual bus166 (333fsb) and sdram is already available that can run up to 166fsb. Second as previosly posted intel supposedly canceled the production of the 1.53ghz p3. Thirdly I dont think I would spend that kind of money on an already dying line of chips even if it could keep up with a 2.0a p4 northwood it wont for long and the p3 processor is already past its prime with no future and the p4 is just getting warmed up. Even the p4 1.6a will oc to 2400 most of the time and the future p4,s will be running 3.0ghz on a regular bases soon. For the same money I would by a new mobo,some new memory and a p4 1.6a and still be able to upgrade it to future/faster p4 cpu,s.

davefred99,

All you do is get a DDR compatible Intel Socket370 motherboard. Since Intel processors over 1GHz are bottlenecked seriously by Memory performance, DDR will help tremendously!

Next, you simply raise the FSB to 166MHz to use the full potential of DDR333 (PC2700). Easy stuff, and I will be getting a free DDR S370 mobo soon, and just the cpu is what I'll need.

AXIA

I am not sure what your point is. Yes you get ddr compatability but unless your sdram will not run at 166fsb there will be no gain in performance. DDR@166 is the same as SDR@166. I will admit that its harder to get good sdram that will run at those speeds especialy if you intend to get cl2 performance out of it. My point is that you will never get ddr3300 performance out of a p3 it will perform as ddr166 since the p3 does not support dual bandwith piped bus. If the motherboard is free great but I sure would not rush out and buy one thinking it was going to improve my performance by much if any.
I do not intend this as a flame I just want others who read this not to get the Idea that a p3 ddr solution will improve there memory bandwith to dual bus ddr specs.

I used to run an Iwill DVD266-R which is a DDR board. It did not work as well as the VP6. It failed twice which is the reason why I now have the VP6. Both failures had to do with the memory handler not reporting the memory or misreporting.As far as synthetic tests go the VP6 is better.If Intel made the P4 as efficient as the P3 tualatin then they would have something to brag about. Just my $.02.

I am not a big fan of the p4 but i do like the p3 because of the proformence at such a low mhz and the low heat it produces compared to the t-bird and the .18 micron p4s , so i am glad intel has not killed it off yet and has the thing almost to 1.6Ghz, Very impressive on Intels part:cool:

Mr. $T$ said:
I am not a big fan of the p4 but i do like the p3 because of the proformence at such a low mhz and the low heat it produces compared to the t-bird and the .18 micron p4s , so i am glad intel has not killed it off yet and has the thing almost to 1.6Ghz, Very impressive on Intels part:cool:

actually the PIII tualatin aslo puts out about almost half as much heat as its .13 micron brethrens, the Northwoods....it also puts ot half as much heat as an XP.....

i am glad as well...i dont think i would be able to afford such a cpu however....but at least the Pentium III will live on:p

also davefred99 is correct, the reason the Athlons are so good with DDR is because the fsb is double pumped, a PIII cannot do this, there fore in most benchmarks the difference is between 0-3% between DDR and SDRAM.....

Ok, so the 1.53G coming out in June 2002 is pure speculation on your part Axia, and contrary to Intel's own statements. Thanks.
My understanding is the PIII-S is dead at the 1.40, and I have yet to see anything official stating otherwise.

Ice_Gargoylle said:
Oh man, imagine going from a 400MHz CPU to a 1533MHz CPU without having to change the motherboard or notin.

wha?

I think he might be running a PII 400 like I did before : 2.5 years ago on my Abit Be6 . And if he can do the Taulatin mod like me, he can use the Taulatin PIII on his old mobo.

Back