• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.5gb of DDR ram??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evil_lbt

Registered
Hello
my brother's computer only got 512mb pc2100 ddr ram..if i add two more sticks of 512, will that improve performance in games?? or it will reduce performance?:rolleyes:

Depends on the game. A few, notably BF1942, can use lots of RAM. However, most games do not need that much. Large amounts of RAM may decrease performance very slightly if the system does not need that much, but I don't think enough to be noticable.

He is using windows xp sp1 right now.
should i use prime 95 to stress the ram? will it be able to address up to 1.5gb to test the stability?
i will try to run 3dmark 2003 as well to test it

use memtest ...
and 1GB should be enough...
im not sure but you can probably have better overall performance using 2 sticks of RAM instead of 3...

I'd go with the 1g of ram. I can easily fill up only 512, but have only gone up to 800 or so depending on what apps I'm running.

oh well i think i will just go for 1.5gb of ram lol becuase i got some spare ram parts lying around and just want to get rid of them as quick as possible
no one have any idea if prime 95 can address up to 1.5gb of ram for testing?? :rolleyes:

I don't think Prime95 tests RAM, at least, not as much as it tests the CPU. Try using memtest86 instead.

well, i have a gig of DDR, its really nice. :) BF1942 has used over 700mb for me before, but thats it. I would say that at the moment 1.5gb is excessive, unless you have a specific need for it. But go for the gig, its sweet.

Prime95 DOES test RAM. It actually tests all free RAM on your system.

Just open task manager and have a look, it will spike to your max, then go back to 20 or so, then spike, then back etc. Only when it reaches certain stages though, it doesnt start doing it stright away.

NS

Back