• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/6 multiplier at FSB:200MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nucro

I got an EP8K3AE Mobo.
It has PHASE LINK (PLL205-16XC) clock generator.
I searched for this manufacturer to get more info about this model of the clock gen.
I found out that it can give 1/6 multiplier at FSB:200MHz.
Phase Link PLL 205-16XC clock gen's document. (PDF)
but as you know, when you select FSB:200MHz, the BIOS shows PCI and AGP speeds as 40 and 80 MHZ.

200fsbPLL.gif

Click for Pic.

Clock gen. gives 1/6 (NOT1/5!) multiplier at 200 MHz FSB.
If PCI and AGP multipliers are controlled by clock generator than PCI and AGP speeds should be 33 and 66 MHz (As shown on the table above) at 200 MHz FSB. Is there a program that can show that i am true or not?

as described above; although BIOS does not show that 1/6 multiplier, can we trust this mobo. has 1/6? (I know it is not KT400 mobo :) Just curiosity:))

Another question is ; Although Clock generator can give 1/6@FSB200, can mobo or BIOS limit this feature? (How?)

Lt. Max said:
so if chipset doesnt support it its not possible to turn it on with a bios update?

Although I could be wrong, I don't think changing the bios will allow the chipset to do something it was never designed to do.

Tipycol

Can a Chipset limit FSB/PCI/AGP multipliers?

Although this mobo (as you say even KT400) does not support 1/6 multiplier by the chipset, Can anyone prove that this MOBO doesn't work with 1/6 multiplier? How?

Thanks for replies...

nucro said:

Can a Chipset limit FSB/PCI/AGP multipliers?

Although this mobo (as you say even KT400) does not support 1/6 multiplier by the chipset, Can anyone prove that this MOBO doesn't work with 1/6 multiplier? How?

Thanks for replies...

I dunno about the mobo, it might support it, but there is no purpose since the chipset cannot utilize it. The KT400 boards out right now have a clock generator that allows for a 6th divider, it's just that the chipset itself cannot use it.

Tipycol

I found this;

VIA has confirmed that KT400 chipset does not support 1/6 PCI divider even the clock generator can support it . This is the chipset limitation and can not be solved by motherboard vendors

Thx everybody....

You could always build a TurboPLL, right? Reroute the leads to the clock generator for PCI/AGP to a different clock generator on a piece of circuit board like you can buy at RadioShack. That was how that guy in Japan got 500Mhz+ DDR b/c the PCI & AGP weren't going out of spec.

i810 Forever said:
You could always build a TurboPLL, right? Reroute the leads to the clock generator for PCI/AGP to a different clock generator on a piece of circuit board like you can buy at RadioShack. That was how that guy in Japan got 500Mhz+ DDR b/c the PCI & AGP weren't going out of spec.

Do you know where I could find some more info on this though?

RangerJoe said:
the kt400 boards dont even do 1/6 dividers as far as i know..so chances are your kt333 board wont either

Exactly, its supported by the clock generator but the chipset will not support. So in otherwords there is no 1/6 divider on the KT333 and as RangerJoe pointed out its not even supported on the KT400. I wouldn't worry much, you will still be able to do 200 MHz fsb.

Tipycol said:

Do you know where I could find some more info on this though?

Theres a lot of guides around the inernet, but theyre in Japanese. :(

Someone in the [H]ardForums made a guide a year or so ago I think, I'll try to dig that up.

i810 Forever said:

Theres a lot of guides around the inernet, but theyre in Japanese. :(

Someone in the [H]ardForums made a guide a year or so ago I think, I'll try to dig that up.

K I'll try to search there for it then.

Thanks

Tipycol

Back