• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.8v :O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
hopefully forever..I'm at 1.825 sometimes
But mine is a 1.5ghz Willy..so if you have a northwood it will be faster.

It all depends...sorta random like..But with good cooling it should last a while. But you never know :)

Korndog

i know u've read about uping the clock/voltage of ur cpu will shorten the life of it, but think about it... even if it kills ur cpu after 10 years (probably last longer then that, but just for kicks) will it really matter? 10 years ago, 133mhz pentium cpus were the top of the market. Now you can get a dozen on ebay for a buck. Basicly what i'm say is that the whole lifespan thing shouldn't even been a worry for ya.
Your more likly to get a new cpu before it dies.

webfreak

I agree. You're more likely to upgrade your cpu every year or two anyway, so I say overclock the heck out of it for as long as you use it. Then when you upgrade, reduce the it back to its original speed and retire it to a dedicated folding machine or something. :)

tio

zabomb4163 said:
voltage above 1.7 causes northwood sudden death syndrome.

Not exactly. There have been people in the SNDS thread that have reported that their P4 chip(s) died at voltages in the 1.65v range. The vast majority of the time though, the people who have had chips fall victim to SNDS ran their chip(s) above the 1.75v mark. Some claim that running in excess of 1.75 or 1.80 volts for a short period of time is harmless, but if you take a look in the SNDS thread, you'll see that some chips have died from having been run at high voltages (ie: 1.80+) for only a matter of minutes.

OP
G

GTac02

oh man so this sudden syndrome thing comes into effect huh? Well, thats why I asked, i wanted to know if it lasted like more than 2 years, and the dangers. But wat the heck, im gona buy my 2.8c M0 and watercool and put 1.8v on it to get muh 4ghz :D. Whats the highest voltage the p4c800-e deluxe bios has for core? :rolleyes:

OP
G

GTac02

Hey now that we're talking about it, whats the max mushkin lvl2 can handle? ;)

Jognt

All round good guy
it will blow up/die :lol:

just keep OC'ing and only up the vCore when you have to, maybe you wont have to get at 1.8 to get a nice OC ;)

OP
G

GTac02

k Jog. But im pretty sure ill have to use 1.8v, well i will even if i dont have to ;), nice to know it wont die in 1 month at 1.8v. Im also gona mod my p4c800 toget 3.2v outa my mushkin.

Jognt

All round good guy
GTac02 said:
well i will even if i dont have to ;)

why would you want to decrease its lifespan if it isnt needed?

GTac02 said:
nice to know it wont die in 1 month at 1.8v

maybe it will, you never know really, S.N.D.S. can be right around that corner *points*

GTac02 said:
Im also gona mod my p4c800 toget 3.2v outa my mushkin.

cool, but (im kindof a voltage scaredy cat tbh) id only do the vmod if you have to... theres this one saying i like....

why fix it if it aint broken
;)

OP
G

GTac02

well of course if 1.8c doesnt give me better than 1.7v then ill use 1.7 of course. But im sure the more voltage the better, and as for its lifespan, if it lastas 2 years its ok.

batboy

Senior Moment
I've found with the D1 and M0 stepping is that anything above about 1.65v has a very diminished O/C gain with increased risk of damage. I've heard of watercooled Northwoods dying at 1.75v within a few months and others that have lasted a long time. Do you feel lucky?

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
As soon as you pump that voltage up start a clock :) and see how long it lasts at that voltage.