• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Hardrive = alright, 2 Hardrives= extremely slow boot up why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

One Cool Dude

Disabled
Hmmmmm.... I have 2 80 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm 8mb Caches *purchased variously and refurbished many times over the last 2 years but finally seemed to have gotten ones that work* but when i plug them both into my Epox 8rda+ IDE 1 channel my bootups are incredibly slow. I cant even imagine running pcmark on it. WHy does it do this? Its really annoying because now i leave 1 of my hardrives unplugged all the time.

Thanks,

--Morgan--

Cjwinnit

B&
Are you using an ATA100, 80 strand cable?

The jumpers on both HDD's are correctly set (Master/Slave)?

Try swapping IDE 1 and IDE 2 , you could have a bad connection.....

OP
One Cool Dude

One Cool Dude

Disabled
I tried everything, switching them between master, slave, and cable select, changing the round cable, changing which one was master, its always booting slowly.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I don't think they meant slave/master settings only. Try plugging them into IDE2. Also, if you plan on doing any large amount of disk to disk, you'll want to have each hard drive on a separate channel to get full performance. Try doing optical drive+ hard drive on IDE1 and optical drive+ hard drive on IDE2.

Z

jennyandgreg

Registered
If you put a optical drive on the same channel as a Hard Drive doesnt it slow it down to the optical drive speed?

zachj said:
I don't think they meant slave/master settings only. Try plugging them into IDE2. Also, if you plan on doing any large amount of disk to disk, you'll want to have each hard drive on a separate channel to get full performance. Try doing optical drive+ hard drive on IDE1 and optical drive+ hard drive on IDE2.

Z

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
It depends, and not really. The only time you slow down either device on a chain is when you're using both drives at the same time.

For instance, if you have two hard drives on the same chain, and you transfer data from one to the other, you're creating a huge bottleneck because data is colliding with itself on the IDE channel the drives are on. This is also the case when you try to install software to a hard drive on the same channel or if you try to copy a CD to another CD in a burner.

By keeping a high-traffic drive and a low-traffic drive on the same channel, you minimize the chance of having to use both drives on one channel at the same time. Also, keep in mind that an optical drive, which operates within the ATA33 spec (I believe), does not slow down any device it is accompanying on the same channel. A lot of people think that the speed of the channel is limited to the speed of the slowest drive on that channel. That's not the case.

Did I explain well enough?

Z

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Do you have Windows 2000 Pro? Pre-SP3? SP3 had a fix that got rid of this kind of problem. I don't know how many partitions you have, but the problem was a slow boot-up with a lot of partitions... just a thought.