• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 OS per partition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

Is it possible to have more than one OS on a drive, and be able to choose which OS you wish to use at any given moment?

I want to try out some flavor of Linux, and also try out Win Server 2k3. But my spare box ended up being a server for various things, and I don't want to fool with that at the moment.

So I wanted to see if I could partition my drive, and have another OS on another partition, and be able to choose which one I want to boot up, or something to that effect.

I'm using XP Pro atm, and have Partion Magic 8, if that helps. If possible, I'd like to not have to re-install XP.

So the end result will be XP on one partion, and Win Server 2k3 or Linux on another.

- Thanks

OP
JohnnyTheRed

JohnnyTheRed

See that's what my thinking would be as well, but how what OS would the comp boot into? Or would there be a choice when I boot up?

Milkman

Yes, you will have choices presented in the start the bootloader will see the other Os's during installation and set things up for you, just make as many partitions as you want os's and it's a cake walk from there.

-mamer

spoken81

Is there a way to do this without farmating your drive first? I have WIN XP pro and just don't want to reinstall it.

Also I want to run dos so I need a FAT partion, I currently use NTFS, any problems mixing the two?

Carnil

Partition Magic will let you resize a partition without formatting first, but:
1) Follow all the instructions exactly
2) Make a complete backup first. Even if you follow the instructions, it can mess things up.

OP
JohnnyTheRed

JohnnyTheRed

I already have partitions made, and XP Pro installed. I can just go ahead and boot from the CD Drive at startup, and run the install of Win Server 2k3 (or Linux etc)? Then I choose the partition I want to install it to? Then when I boot the comp, I get a choice of which OS to boot into?

Sounds nice and simple, and if this si the case, I'll try it soon, as I just did a fresh install, and don't have anything on the HD atm.

Carnil

I think you should install Linux last, since it cooperates the best with other OSs. Also (IMHO) it's got the best boot manager.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
just remember that when you install windows operating systems that you install oldest to newest... otherwise you will probably overwrite the boot selector and have to reinstall the newer operating systems... just make sure to plan ahead...

Intrepid

I have had 3 OSs running on one PC before at the same time same drive same partition. so many high paid techs kept tellnig me it could nto be done :p but never the less I did it. he is right jsut instal lthem oldest to newest. for example, I instlled win XP once, than put win2K on next to it, killed XP outright. do it the other way around at it works fine. i have had 98SE, win2K and winXP all on one partition before, took up some significant space on my 30gb next to al lym games i used to play but it was interesting. god for lan parties (this was a year and a half ago) when some ppl had older O/Ss and had probs networking, i could just change my O/S to accomadate them :) tho now I jsut use XP exclusivly. if ever i get myh ands on win2K server i might do dual O/S.