• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10.1 Drivers are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
same thing here except I don't driver sweep. usually just uninstall the old catalyst and display driver reboot and then install.

anytime i run the installer it would just install "ati install manager" but where it's suppose to give an option for display driver or ccc, it doesn't say anything. so with the updated install manager i just left it at that and installed 9.12 on top. since it only askes for the display drivers and ccc.

I think it's an issue with the visual c++ redistributable, the new ati install manager or windows registry permissions.

it's as if the installer can't detect it's own ccc and dd installers.

i did not break this, if I couldn't do it this way, how do you expect anyone to do it.

this is on vista 64 with all updates that windows update askes me for. I also had no problems installing since catalyst 8.5~ (when I got this computer)

I'm glad I'm not that only one. Experiencing the same thing :)

wElp, I just installed the 10.1 and am having problems. There are verticle partially invisible lines (kinda like the predator) every 4 inches across my screen. And when they intersect type or words the ltters are doubled and screwed up.

I need a link to the 9.12 Win 7 64bit. I can't find them anywhere.

or on the 10.1 download page just scroll down and you will see previous versions link.

Thanks bro, I forgot to give cudos. I used the link to retrive the 9.12s and all is good now that I have re-installed them.:)

I think it might be a compatibility issue with my siggy LCD which is really a HD TV. I will try to install the 10.1 Cats on my work rig which has a 25.5 1920x200 display and see if I can recreate the issue I have described in my previous post.

I haven't uninstalled previous drivers before installing newer drivers for a few releases now. It's unecessary and I've seen all performance increases as other people have without any issues. You're wasting your time sweeping unless you're downgrading your drivers or changing video cards.

I haven't uninstalled previous drivers before installing newer drivers for a few releases now. It's unecessary and I've seen all performance increases as other people have without any issues. You're wasting your time sweeping unless you're downgrading your drivers or changing video cards.

Hmmm, interresting. I will try that out on the next Cat release. :)

Not sure if this is driver related or one of my power settings in win7.. i tell windows to turn off the screen after 20mins of idle to reduce burn in etc, but what it does not is run my screensaver for the 20mins and then my screen goes black, but hte vid card is pumping black out and not acutally turning off my screen.. might need to revert and check with old drivers to figure out if its my fault or not.

Screen light stays lit blue (not orange when its off) and you can see the black when all the lights are off.. since my screen is a pos and doesnt do well at creating black!

When I installed 10.1, I first uninstalled the old drivers, Then installed 10.1, Got a no driver installed message, Windows 7 reinstalled old drivers and I then just installed 10.1 over them without wiping and it worked perfectly. Not my preferred method, However it did work.

I noticed a problem with the new drivers. everytime I turn off my CRT while the computer is on, then turn it back on, it'll set the monitor model as a generic type and the refresh rate is auto set to it's lowest while also causing my display to go outside the borders of my screen.

It's easily fixed by clicking 'detect display' in the properties menu, but it's a little annoying to have to keep doing it.

So, I always wipe my drivers before installing new ones, but by the sounds of it this time that causes problems? Should I even install 10.1? Sounds like people are having issues with 'em.

I'm still on 9.10, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
So, I always wipe my drivers before installing new ones, but by the sounds of it this time that causes problems? Should I even install 10.1? Sounds like people are having issues with 'em.

I'm still on 9.10, if that makes any difference.

Think of it this way, sometimes you lose stuff along the way that you've gained by doing that. A clean install is not always better in terms of updating. This isn't a completely accurate metaphor but consider this: do you uninstall directx everytime it's updated? No, you allow each update to add to previous updates.

ATI has built in it's own cleaning procedure to update and delete older files in the driver install. If it doesn't need to be updated within the full install, it stays how it is and only new parts are installed or changed. Say you uninstall and do a completely new install, some of the non-updated parts which may have changed along the way will no longer be at their current state anymore.

With the way the drivers work now you shouldn't uninstall, clean, and re-install unless you are changing your video card or rolling back drivers to an older version.

Cool. So just install 10.1 over my 9.10?

Either way, of course this raises the question: How long has it been this way, and how much have I lost by uninstalling every time until now? :)

Cool. So just install 10.1 over my 9.10?

Either way, of course this raises the question: How long has it been this way, and how much have I lost by uninstalling every time until now? :)

The metephor in relation to directx isn't perfect, so losing performance by doing a clean install is not entirely accurate. Mostly bug fixes and compatibility issues is what I've seen. This is why you can have no issues with 9.12, install 10.1 clean and have some minor issues. But then installing directly over and having it work fine.

It's been this way for quite a while, I would say as far as the beginning of 7x catalyst. It was first recommended to me through the usage of DNA drivers and then I've seen it recommended on the official releases as well.

To sum it up in an easy way: if you have issues with 10.1 but pervious 9.x drivers work fine for you, try installing 10.1 with 9.12 still going. It makes sense to keep what works while adding on the newer performance updates and fixes. What wouldn't make sense is that if you DO have issues with 9.12, then installing clean would be the smarter way to go so that you can be rid of problems you may be having from your current drivers.

Last edited:
But I'm running 9.10 right now. Should I go to 9.12 first and then go to 10.1?

I suppose I'd make sense if I did 9.11 as well. I'm assuming I just install those right over 9.10 too?

But I'm running 9.10 right now. Should I go to 9.12 first and then go to 10.1?

I suppose I'd make sense if I did 9.11 as well. I'm assuming I just install those right over 9.10 too?

You should be able to go straight to 10.1 with no problems, I went from 9.1 to 10.1 with no issues.

Well yeah, but according to vixro I could miss out on bug or compatibility fixes.

You can just jump straight to 10.1, the idea is that if your current drivers work fine you don't need to clean before updating. :santa2:

Back