• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10.1 Drivers are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm so confused, some have issues, some don't. I'm getting a 5850 by the end of this week. What do I install? Since I do not have any drivers for ATI atm. I download and install 10.1 or do I download 9.xx version first and then 10.1 over it?

Regards.

I would just stick to the '9.12 hotfix' drivers, installed them when I first swapped in my 5850 to replace a gtx260; did the usual uninstall nvidia drivers + physx, run ccleaner, install 9.12 hotfix and physx (required for some games). Zero problems so far. Never installed the 10.1, waiting to see if those issues get resolved in 10.2 before trying new drivers (sometimes even if you install new ones, get issues, then driver clean them and reinstall old ones, those issues still persist, so I want to minimize that).

I would just stick to the '9.12 hotfix' drivers, installed them when I first swapped in my 5850 to replace a gtx260; did the usual uninstall nvidia drivers + physx, run ccleaner, install 9.12 hotfix and physx (required for some games). Zero problems so far. Never installed the 10.1, waiting to see if those issues get resolved in 10.2 before trying new drivers (sometimes even if you install new ones, get issues, then driver clean them and reinstall old ones, those issues still persist, so I want to minimize that).

I'm getting a new HDD so I won't have to run any cleaner. I'll just go straight for the 9.12's then. Thank you!

mine screen keeps coming up with artifacts everytime i start off sleep mode.
i see yellow and blue square all over the screen, however after i restart the computer it's all fine. WTH? lol

Space is the least of my worries. It's the workability of drivers without uninstalling previous ones that's my primary concern.

i installed nvidia drivers over one another all the time and never had problems...but that was nvidia and one driver update could contain one minor change since they release something like 150 a year (beta and official and WHQL of both)

If you're worried about space, just dump the C:\ATI install folder. This is where all of the installation files are decompressed when it installs your drivers. After the drivers are installed this folder stays there and isn't needed anymore.

I delete those install folders all the time, the drivers still take up space ccc takes like 150 the dd takes like 90

as for anyone with the dual gpu cards you might want to stick with 9.12 because those cards seem to have vertical line issues on 10.1

you might have 10.1 but keep in mind 10.1 is for more than one type of card and operating system. ati seems to have broken some of them.

I'd really just like a definitive answer of whether or not you can or indeed should install drivers on top of each other without uninstalling the previous one.

I'd really just like a definitive answer of whether or not you can or indeed should install drivers on top of each other without uninstalling the previous one.

Can ... but shouldn't.

You should uninstall the old ones and clean using ccleaner or driversweeper in safe mode then install the new ones after rebooting normally.

I've tried all the drivers, system locks up sometimes in COD:MW2 and on Bad Company 2 Beta the video locks up and the screen goes black and says no signal and then it comes back up and then its fine. Put a support ticket in with Sapphire but all they have really said was try the new drivers.

My 5870 came today so I figured I'd give the new drivers a shot. I uninstalled it all, driver swept, installed 9.12, rebooted, then installed 10.1 over 9.12, then installed the hotfix over 10.1, then rebooted finally after that.

Everything works great and the performance completely destroys my 4870 even at stock! :)

you should have just ran the 10.1 installer and if you saw ccc and dd available then just go from there.

So SeanBest says to definitely uninstall previous drivers; vixro says installing over each other is actually beneficial. :confused:

My reply is...I am currently loading Bioshock 2 (working on 35 mins now) from a DVD and will let you guys know how a 5970 runs a new game on 9.12s. I know its not what you want to hear but thats what I have ... {the 10.1s are not gonna cut it}

My reply is...I am currently loading Bioshock 2 (working on 35 mins now) from a DVD and will let you guys know how a 5970 runs a new game on 9.12s. I know its not what you want to hear but thats what I have ... {the 10.1s are not gonna cut it}

10.1 runs bioshock flawlessly on my ATI card.

Only bug I've had is the plasmids locking up and being unusable. pressing Z solves the problem everytime, so it's no big deal. I think it's a widespread problem in the game itself and not related to video card makers like nvidia/ati.

Awesome for you brutha! :)

I use my rig for 2D more than I do 3D (rendering-gaming) and I am not going to put up with the 10.1 verticle line bug no matter what.

Maan, ATI drivers do suck eventhough I like thier performance.

Did you install 9.12 over anything?

You aren't going to get a clear cut answer so I'll try to make it simple. If you don't have any problems with your current drivers, just install over. If you do, install clean. If you're starting from a clean state, just install the latest. :santa2:

Well that's just it. I didn't have any problems with my current drivers. So I installed over. Now I have those black dots I mentioned earlier. (Small issue, but still.)

I suppose I could try installing 10.1 alone, and seeing if they work perfectly fine on their own. However based off what I've read, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

My problem is, based off what you said, each driver comes with its own unique bug fixes and compatibility updates, and it'd be a shame to miss out on those. On the other hand, installing drivers on top of each other might in itself cause bugs and other issues. However, maybe I should still do so, despite those issues. :bang head

Last edited:
Well that's just it. I didn't have any problems with my current drivers. So I installed over. Now I have those black dots I mentioned earlier. (Small issue, but still.)

I suppose I could try installing 10.1 alone, and seeing if they work perfectly fine on their own. However based off what I've read, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

My problem is, based off what you said, each driver comes with its own unique bug fixes and compatibility updates, and it'd be a shame to miss out on those. On the other hand, installing drivers on top of each other might in itself cause bugs and other issues. However, maybe I should still do so, despite those issues. :bang head

A big twist of issues in itself. Now you see why drivers are a big pain for everyone.

Back