• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10.1 Drivers are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Let me just ask this question: How disadvantageous would it be to install drivers fresh every time?

I have never had a problem with installing drivers over each other. But some have had huge issues. So I can't answer that.

So erm, I will be getting my HD5850 tomorrow. I will reformat anyway because I will install windows 7. I should go with 10.1 or 9.12? I can't seem to make it up after all the controversal replies.

Let me just ask this question: How disadvantageous would it be to install drivers fresh every time?

I have never had a problem with installing drivers over each other. But some have had huge issues. So I can't answer that.

not very disadvantageous. never had a problem except 10.1 won't install fresh or on top. try it and if it dont work, uninstall and get 9.12.

not including old bug fixes in new versions doesn't make sense from a programming stand point.

This is encouraging. I like having a software update that unlocks more features. Beats having to buy a new card?

Article is from Xbit news....

News

(0) ATI to Add New Features to Graphics Cards as Nvidia’s DirectX 11 Chip Nears.

ATI to Support Stereo 3D, Improved Multi-Monitor Technologies

[02/17/2010 06:47 AM]
by Anton Shilov
ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices, on Wednesday said that in March it would provide a number of important software updates that will improve functionality of its graphics cards, including the latest ATI Radeon HD 5000-series, just in time when its arch-rival Nvidia Corp. plans to unleash its forthcoming GeForce GTX 400-series.

Among the things that ATI plans to support in its ATI Catalyst 10.3 software suite due next month as well as Catalyst 10.2 version that is set to become available on the 17th of February, 2010, are stereoscopic 3D technology, majorly improved power saving capability, ATI Eyefinity multi-monitor output, improved ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU technology, DisplayPort audio and some other improvements.

ATI plans to update its Direct3D driver to enable thirdf party middleware vendors, such as iZ3D, to output stereo L/R images at 120 Hz (60 Hz per eye) monitors. This means that select video games as well as forthcoming Blu-ray 3D movies will work in stereo 3D mode, however, ATI’s solution will not be able to force all video games to work in stereo mode, unlike Nvidia’s 3D Vision technology.

Other features that AMD’s graphics unit plans to implement are the following:

•ATI CrossFireX for Eyefinity - CrossFireX now improves Eyefinity gaming performance.
•ATI CrossFireX profiles and re-architecture of ATI CrossFireX in general, which promises to improve performance of multi-GPU configurations. The CrossFireX profiles will be possible to update more frequently than drivers.
•DisplayPort Audio support now allows to pass audio directly through to DisplayPort monitor equipped with speakers.
•ATI Eyefinity Technology Bezel Correction – compensates for bezels so objects in video games move from one display to the other smoothly.
•ATI Eyefinity Technology Per Display Control – adjusts for differences in each individual displays brightness, color and contrast.
•ATI Eyefinity Technology Multiple Display Groups – more display groups to give further control of your desktop with three displays or more connected.
•ATI Eyefinity Technology Display Configuration Switching – allows to easily switch from one display mode to another.
ATI Catalyst updates will arrive just in time before Nvidia releases its highly-anticipated GeForce GTX 400-series that is based on the code-named GF100 (NV60, GT300, G300) graphics processor that is expected to provide performance that will be able to compete against ATI Radeon HD 5800- or 5900-series graphics boards.

Ooops, I forgot to give a update.

I installed the 10.2s and ran BioShock 2 for about 45mins and it was smooth, nice and played massively better than the 9.12s that I had been using. All of the previous problems (verticle lines grey screen) are now gone and I can game until my fingers bleed or my wife starts pulling my hair...LOL!

Back