• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100% propylene glycol in loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

What would happen if someone were to use straight propylene glycol in a cooling loop?

1. Is propylene glycol electrically conductive?

2. Would it prevent the formation of algae or fungi in the loop?

3. How much cooling performance would you lose?

4. Would it still have the potential to provide greater cooling capacity than air cooling?

5. Would it cause any problems for pumps (maybe due to greater viscosity)?

6. Addendum question to 1, if you did have a leak could it short out any components?

1. No or low
2. Yes.
3. Who knows...but its thermal conductivity is lower than just water.
4. See #3
5. Potentially. Pumps are made for something as viscous as water. More would add additional stress.
6. If the answer is no for #1....

I'd stay away from it for a cooling loop... at least, that's what a minute of googling to answer these questions told me. ;)

The only way I'd consider going liquid cooling is if I could get a coolant that wouldn't risk shorting out my computer because I know I'd get leaks.

The only way I'd consider going liquid cooling is if I could get a coolant that wouldn't risk shorting out my computer because I know I'd get leaks.
AIOs!

When done properly a custom loop doesn't leak. Sure, there are nightmare stories, but an overwhelming majority doc a great job. Otherwise, get a sealed loop (AIO). ;]

Yep! I remember starting my very 1st custom loop. I was scared as hell knowing I had water running through tubes near computer components. I dunno how many times I checked and rechecked every fitting and clamp right before I hit the power switch.

And yes, I did have leaks that appeared after several years. Did that stop me from watercooling? Hellz no! I fixed the issue and kept watercooling. I haven't had an air cooled system in decades. I've been watercooling since day one.

Just recently my old reservoir sprung a leak. I sealed that sucker up and kept it moving. https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/xspc-d5-dual-bay-reservoir-v1-disaster.802024/

I just purchased a new reservoir to replace it. I'll be purchasing a new pump as well and upgrade. I'll never go back to air cooling!

Yes, there are risks. If you're fearful of leaks, then as Joe suggested, go with an AIO or stick with air.

Leaks happen, and even with water its mostly minimal risk. Yes water can damage components, but you really need a lot of it to be a real danger. I had a slow leak in one of my loops way back when that slowly dripped on my Geforce 2 GTS back in the day. Ran it with that leak for like 6 months without issues. Although the calcium buildup on the back of the board was kinda nasty to clean when I tore it down

Back