• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
A couple percent, but typically it does not effect gaming the last I heard. Many things are not patched in the first place. It depends on the BIOS and updates, etc.

I haven see anything about it messing with gamming ether but it's worth a try.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
I second this.
If you have a game that has the FPS problem and it works with Linux give it a try. It the problem still happens under Linux it would likely be a hardware problem.

Try disabling HT'ing in the bios. Also have you checked if anything is down clocking when you get the FPS drops? MSI afterburner would be a help with that. It can be configured to log the clock speed of the GPU, ram usage, vram usage and I believe the CPU clock speed and usage as well and it can show the FPS. All of that is graphed so you can see the hardware usage and compare it to the FPS.

Also, its a crack shot. But try removing the updates and any micro code fixes for meltdown and spectre bug. I read that they are a big hit on performance and the patches are buggy.

Really? Do you know even one AAA game which works on Linux?

I know how to deal with MSI AB, i'm not a newbie. AB graphs are in the head topic.

Someone say to install Meltdown updates, you say — to disable. Whom to trust? =/

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Someone say to install Meltdown updates, you say — to disable. Whom to trust? =/
The facts? So far any testing I have seen shows games do not slow down and in fact some run marginally faster on these initial tests. So, personally, I don't think its even worth the time, but since we don't have another direction, its better than nothing to try.

Honestly, I am stumped...

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
The facts? So far any testing I have seen shows games do not slow down and in fact some run marginally faster on these initial tests. So, personally, I don't think its even worth the time, but since we don't have another direction, its better than nothing to try.

Honestly, I am stumped...
My thoughts exactly. When you try all the normal stuff you have to go for the odd ball fixes.

Really? Do you know even one AAA game which works on Linux?
I'm rather dated on games. But I know a frew older AAA games that work on Linux.
KOTOR2, most Unreal 1 engine games and a few unreal engine 2 games, most older ID games like doom3 and quake 3 and 4. I think the half-life 2 engine was ported to Linux recently too.
I'm sure there are newer ones too. But that last game I bought was fallout 3 NV. I been out of gaming since and only play the old games I have every once and a wile.

Last edited:

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Alright so maybe I should have gone in and explained myself a bit further. I have and continue to be in Knower's shoes for some time now. I've had two different high end AMD systems and experienced similar issues with particular games even though they were primarily developed for my hardware (TW:WH for AMD). Games would stutter, drop out, or freeze my system for no reason, and looking through forums and the like lead me no where. Even turning off SMT or other cores would not help. Forcing affinity didn't really help either.

It came to a stop when I learned about process lasso and played around with permanent affinity assignments to specific games. This fixed everything. I could now play games that caused troubles, with no lag or issue. It turned into the magical fix that I cannot understand as to why it fixed things.

And I mean magical, because even on my current 1800x build, I tried to turn off SMT and cores to get the same affect I was doing with Process Lasso, and it didn't fix anything. Somehow that tool magically fixes things.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
Alright so maybe I should have gone in and explained myself a bit further. I have and continue to be in Knower's shoes for some time now. I've had two different high end AMD systems and experienced similar issues with particular games even though they were primarily developed for my hardware (TW:WH for AMD). Games would stutter, drop out, or freeze my system for no reason, and looking through forums and the like lead me no where. Even turning off SMT or other cores would not help. Forcing affinity didn't really help either.

It came to a stop when I learned about process lasso and played around with permanent affinity assignments to specific games. This fixed everything. I could now play games that caused troubles, with no lag or issue. It turned into the magical fix that I cannot understand as to why it fixed things.

And I mean magical, because even on my current 1800x build, I tried to turn off SMT and cores to get the same affect I was doing with Process Lasso, and it didn't fix anything. Somehow that tool magically fixes things.
So, Process Lasso can be a pill from all the issues on my rig? Or it works randomly on different systems?

OP
K

Knower

Registered
UPDATE 2:

So, I have recently retested GTA 5 performance with the following tweaks:
- Downclock the CPU to 3,700 MHz
- Disable Hyper Threading and Intel VT
- Disable ASUS Multi-core Enhancement
- Disable all the C & P states
- Disable Base Clock & PCI-E Spread Spectrum
- Disable HPET using cmd command and the Device Manager
- Enable Threaded Optimization in NVIDIA Control Panel

I noticed more frametime spikes and long stuttering after applying mentioned tweaks without any FPS lock.
But, with 150 FPS lock there was no drops or any similar issues in GTA 5.

MSI AB Hardware Monitor Logs (with & without FPS lock): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jmoWxPj0rZ73qYA4noabaeDX_PSw840j?usp=sharing

LatencyMon during game without FPS cap: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gim1F9ypbhXzjr4GxSER56b_rapZBDaO?usp=sharing

- - - Updated - - -

You'll only know if you try. We can't test it for you. Report back and let us know! :)

Of course, I'll try it. But it seems to be the snake oil but... Will see.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
You'll only know if you try. We can't test it for you. Report back and let us know! :)
So, I recorded new data.
Reverted my BIOS settings to previous, turne ON threaded optimization, set app-controlled refresh rate.
Set GTA 5 graphics to minimum possible with 800*680 resolution and tried to play on GTX 1080 Ti.

Frame time spikes occur again as it was on Intel's GPU with unplugged NVIDIA GPU. The same issues occur less times BUT are more continuously (when start) on 1080 Ti compare with Intel! So weird. Maybe NVIDIA driver adds sticks to the fire.

Here's my hopeless results with NVIDIA GPU: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_7j8DehnwU5jqfqePZHpa5TMhVcPs8Ul

Logs with Intel's GPU: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14DrbFKVLNyiAG4zBtAWWF6soUT91ApyY

Pepi93

Sorry if this has been taken care of, I only skimmed through this entire post.

Have you checked your PSU for issues? What are the temps of your CPU when gaming and idle? Are all of your fans working? Someone asked the age of your HDD? I hope it's not a spinner but a SSD?

What are your nvidia driver settings? Especially the power options, optimal, max, adaptive...should be on prefer max performance...That being said, you said you experience the same issues with the onboard graphics so this is probably not an issue.

Have you tested RAM? Maybe one stick that is trying to be utilized when needed is not doing so good?

I know these suggestions are simple measures but I've found through my own experience that I've often overlooked the simple and gone straight to trying more complex forms of troubleshooting. As an example...I had monitor issues a while back and tested everything...before testing the HDMI cord which was dying...

If I think of anything else I'll post.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
Sorry if this has been taken care of, I only skimmed through this entire post.

Have you checked your PSU for issues? What are the temps of your CPU when gaming and idle? Are all of your fans working? Someone asked the age of your HDD? I hope it's not a spinner but a SSD?

What are your nvidia driver settings? Especially the power options, optimal, max, adaptive...should be on prefer max performance...That being said, you said you experience the same issues with the onboard graphics so this is probably not an issue.

Have you tested RAM? Maybe one stick that is trying to be utilized when needed is not doing so good?

I know these suggestions are simple measures but I've found through my own experience that I've often overlooked the simple and gone straight to trying more complex forms of troubleshooting. As an example...I had monitor issues a while back and tested everything...before testing the HDMI cord which was dying...

If I think of anything else I'll post.
Thanks for feed.

1. My new Seasonic 850W Platinum works well. All fans forking, new HDD & SSD. CPU temps are following: 29-35C - idle, 58-65C - load.
2. NVCP settings: Max performance, Threaded Optimization ON, VSync/G-Sync OFF, AA & AO OFF, etc.
3. Have tested RAM with MemTest and Windows built-in option, no errors were found after 3-5 pass.
4. You're welcome to help.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
Have you tried tuning on VSync/G-Sync? Not sure what G-Sync is, but I seen some odd problems before with VSync on/off.
More often them not its just screen tearing, but worth a try. Another thing to try, install your monitor drives (if you have not done so) and set the monitors refresh rate in windows, not the nvidia drivers settings. Also try a different monitor if you have one. Its all a long shoot just like removing the meltdown patch but worth a try.

As for why I said to try a different monitor. Something could be wrong with it and its refresh rate is dumping down, the video card picks up on it real time and lowers the refresh rate lowing the FPS with it.I highly doubt that is the problem. But we are running out of things to try here.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
Have you tried tuning on VSync/G-Sync? Not sure what G-Sync is, but I seen some odd problems before with VSync on/off.
More often them not its just screen tearing, but worth a try. Another thing to try, install your monitor drives (if you have not done so) and set the monitors refresh rate in windows, not the nvidia drivers settings. Also try a different monitor if you have one. Its all a long shoot just like removing the meltdown patch but worth a try.

As for why I said to try a different monitor. Something could be wrong with it and its refresh rate is dumping down, the video card picks up on it real time and lowers the refresh rate lowing the FPS with it.I highly doubt that is the problem. But we are running out of things to try here.
Yeah, I tried using Syncs. Only VSync helps a bit but for GTA 5 only. G-Sync provide no noticeable pros or cons of turning it on.

2. What? Monitor drivers? Are they available for my Acer Predator XB271HU? I think there was no mon drivers for Windows 10 which has it's own Display Adapter (or what there must be).
3. Will try to uninstall Meltdown patches (to "increase" my security :).

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
This is a real stumper for sure. What about Anti Virus? Disable your AV and see what happens. It's an easy check.

I also like the memory testing advice. Run memtest86+ for a few rounds and see if a stick goes haywire on ya. Again, a simple test to run and a common test too.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
This is a real stumper for sure. What about Anti Virus? Disable your AV and see what happens. It's an easy check.

I also like the memory testing advice. Run memtest86+ for a few rounds and see if a stick goes haywire on ya. Again, a simple test to run and a common test too.

I don't use AV. Have tested RAM, no error were found.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
I set to default and then reconfigured UEFI settings to "Custom Default":
- Customize the curve of all the CPU/CHASS fans to the following (Temp-Duty Cycle): 20C-20%/35C-50%/50C-100%
- Disable unnecessary EXT/HAMP fans, SATA ports and boot devices (leave only Win Boot Manager).
- Enable #1 XMP profile and set Sync All Cores to "Auto"mode.
- Set PCI & DMI to Gen3 speed.
- Set PCIEX4_3 and M.2_2 port to X4 speed.
- Disable all lighting, "bells and whistles" like ROG Effects, etc.
- Saved all these changes to ASUS OC #1 Profile named "Custom Default".

Then, I recorded new MSI Afterburner hardware monitor logs for GTA 5 (MAX settings, no SYNC) and The Witcher 3 (MAX, with/without VSync).

In GTA 5 these UEFI changes wasn't destroyed issues without FPS cap, but with 150 FPS lock (using RTSS) gameplay was really smooth (logs are below).

In The Wtcher 3 I recorded two logs with VSync disabled and enabled. You can compare logs and figure out what's the culprit of frame time spikes and micro stuttering.

Please, check the following MSI AB logs and help me decide where to dig.

GTA 5 logs with & without FPS lock: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-4ch0jRzfUOE4BJezOoUePhcQZUDa7-u?usp=sharing

The Witcher 3 logs with & without VSync: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K-bBvtLE6xIkBVNGjtr0vo7bjSayMBub?usp=sharing

Parent Google Drive "Games" folder with all games data included: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FnN9ITcfzt3Dfqi6TJo9L5rM-yW_lSvk?usp=sharing

How do you think, what actually causes games issues on my rig?

maxfly

do you happen to have a back up rig to test your gear in? if not maybe a friend with a rig similar enough to your own to test in? it sounds like thats where your at, testing each component individually in a known working rig.
youve got to try and take a step back, take a deep breath and relax or your never going to find the culprit!
if you cant find a rig to test in i would see if your local computer shop can test them.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
do you happen to have a back up rig to test your gear in? if not maybe a friend with a rig similar enough to your own to test in? it sounds like thats where your at, testing each component individually in a known working rig.
youve got to try and take a step back, take a deep breath and relax or your never going to find the culprit!
if you cant find a rig to test in i would see if your local computer shop can test them.

Haven't such possibility. :(

OP
K

Knower

Registered
This is a real stumper for sure. What about Anti Virus? Disable your AV and see what happens...
UPDATE 3:

BAD NEWS!

Windows 7 HP SP1 didn't help in anyway. =(

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 with formatting previous OS drive (C:), then installed all the necessary Win7 (x64) service updates and drivers: GPU, LAN, Audio, Chipset, SATA, NVMe SSD, DirectX & Visual C++. Configured NVIDIA driver to previous Win10 config, reinstalled MSI AB & RTSS and load custom profiles from my backup.

Also, I've cleared CMOS and reconfigured UEFI with the following "Custom Default" settings:
- Enabled #1 XMP, Sync All Cores "Auto"
- Configured fans
- Change PCIEX4_3 & M.2_2 to X4 speed
- Disable unnecessary SATA ports, fans, lights and other garbage

Windows 7 changes:
- High Performance Mode
- Disabled all the startup items
- Disabled built-in AV and firewall
- Disable all reminders in Action Center

In GTA 5 (no FPS cap) I've noticed the same issues with frame time spikes and drops when pressing RMB when being in a vehicle. With capped FPS there were no problems as before installing Win7.

In The Witcher 3 I noticed almost constant 100% GPU utilization and the same spikes. On Win10 there weren't such a frequent MAX GPU utilization, only in high loaded areas.

Now, I'm pretty scared of all this cr*p even in well run Win7 OS.

GTA 5 logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15NAhU33h4mXKBqXfU6aOGq4aMlPRBFgs

The Witcher 3 logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-9U66th5eAAnMJd9hrkjZCHxTUISKG-T

Any advice, if possible in such a creepy situation?