• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
K

Knower

Registered
Just a thought, probably will not fix anything. But where is your page file? Try disabling it or moving it to another hdd that the games are not on.

Something tells me at this point. Its ether the games are poorly coded, modded or warez, something (likely the GPU or motherboard) is bad and throttling the CPU or GPU.
There is a tweak or setting that was over looked.

No AV? are you sure there is no malware in the system? Maybe format all you hdds and start clean, do not reuse any files just to be safe.

Do you have another system you can test he video card in?

1. I tried to disable page file — no changes.
2. No AV or viruses. Checked with multiple scanners.
3. Nope. There isn't any rig which can handle my 1080 Ti. I only can test weak AMD GPU in my rig what I want to try tomorrow.

maxfly

you really need to haul your rig into your nearest computer store and test your gpu in a known working rig. then grab another known working gpu to test in your rig. having done everything weve asked to this point. you must have a hardware issue or some kind of incompatibility.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
you really need to haul your rig into your nearest computer store and test your gpu in a known working rig. then grab another known working gpu to test in your rig. having done everything weve asked to this point. you must have a hardware issue or some kind of incompatibility.
From what source you make such straight conclusion that issues occur due to hardware failure?

DaveB

From what source you make such straight conclusion that issues occur due to hardware failure?

Did you ever run the Intel XTU stress test and check for CPU thermal throttling, Power Limit throttling and VRM throttling?

Did you run the XTU stress test and check for the above errors as I had suggested?

OP
K

Knower

Registered
havent you tried everything else except test the hardware like i suggested?
Don't exactly remember what you've suggested but I'm testing games with AMD Radeon HD7770 GPU just now. Will record all logs and post below.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you run the XTU stress test and check for the above errors as I had suggested?

50/50 I've tried to install XTU on Win7 UT SP1 but there was several errors about unsigned drivers and I couldn't run full test.
Will try on Win10 soon.

DaveB

50/50 I've tried to install XTU on Win7 UT SP1 but there was several errors about unsigned drivers and I couldn't run full test.
Will try on Win10 soon.

OK, if nothing else it can eliminate a lot of potential hardware issues that could be causing your problems.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
OK, if nothing else it can eliminate a lot of potential hardware issues that could be causing your problems.
TLDR: Issues almost disappear with AMD GPU! I assume it's 100% NVIDIA driver or card failure.

I've tested games with AMD Radeon HD7770 GPU.
I'll be write Update 5 tomorrow with more details.
If you want some info before full Update 5 change-log — you can check MSI AB .hml logs recorded with AMD.

Hardware Monitor logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1riQbrv0E7QhWGAoXxnlmvmkmmdWMRDb7

Important Edit:
I have already returned to NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti and tested Team Fortress 2. Everything was smooth and without spikes BUT at the end of last log recording frametime started jumping every 0.1-0.5 sec to constant 18.7 FPS! Something really goes wrong.

Team Fortress 2 logs (GTX 1080 Ti):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GgXC-kbaqWJO8WBgn5T4HdH5oOqT2YuB

Extreme spikes at the end of logging (screenshot):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZZISlFClcQMHjSmAcZu9GeSgbxAuIl2p

Last edited:
OP
K

Knower

Registered
Sorry I'm away from home until at least Wednesday.

UPDATE 5

I've already done all the necessary tests in new Windows 10 1803 (17134.1) Build. There are no performance improvements even with new "Ultimate Performance" power plan.

UEFI Main Settings:
- BIOS 1301 update
- "Sync All Cores" at [47]
- XMP at 3,200 MHz
- PCIE3_4 and M.2_2 slots at X4 speed
- Custom fans curve and disabled unnecessary EXT FANS
- Disabled SpeedShift/SpeedStep, C-states, Spread Spectrum, Fast Boot and ASUS MultiCore Enhancement

Windows 10 1803 global Google Drive folder with all results: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VI-D62fRZ2AfNZ2NZqKtFXAEoM5tibdJ

MSI Afterburner Hardware Monitor games logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z_EPdYovV_swrAm3El-gRJ87RZtrXvq3

Windows and other settings: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14a6vfGqZhDp6z6V-CFoBdpHR161pXKy8

All diagnostic info including GPUView Merged.etl trace file, MSINFO32 and Speccy snapshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h3oCMaw5_odOSO1972Tqn6_RwYZz6vy3

If you can or know how to correctly analyze all the data, please, help me find the culprit of these frametime spikes and stuttering. Thank you a lot!

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
It would help alot if you posted plain screenshots of tools like msi afterburner. I cant make heads or tails of your links. I mean I understand what they are and everything but in so not used to seeing the data as a log file that I cant make since of it. In sure Im not the only one too.

Can you post a screenshot of the msi afterburner graph and so one right after the fps drop?

OP
K

Knower

Registered
It would help alot if you posted plain screenshots of tools like msi afterburner. I cant make heads or tails of your links. I mean I understand what they are and everything but in so not used to seeing the data as a log file that I cant make since of it. In sure Im not the only one too.

Can you post a screenshot of the msi afterburner graph and so one right after the fps drop?

Don't exactly understand what do you mean. You want to see screenshots of MSI AB settings or graphs? Can you open provided logs?

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
Image1.png

This graph, hit detach and set it to span the whole screen, after the fps dropping alt tab to it and take a screen shot. Be sure to go into the setting in msi AB and set it to log everything.

Yes I can open the logs files. Its just not how I'm used to seeing that data and being dyslexic I have trouble fallowing it. The google drive links are also probably not going to be looked at by a casual on looker ether. Screen shots are more likely to be viewed then the log file outputs. although they are of use too.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
Image1.png

This graph, hit detach and set it to span the whole screen, after the fps dropping alt tab to it and take a screen shot. Be sure to go into the setting in msi AB and set it to log everything.

Yes I can open the logs files. Its just not how I'm used to seeing that data and being dyslexic I have trouble fallowing it. The google drive links are also probably not going to be looked at by a casual on looker ether. Screen shots are more likely to be viewed then the log file outputs. although they are of use too.

Note: will make screenshots of HM logs for you.

I finally recorded all HM logs in CS GO & Fortnite, also have retested all other games with older & beta NVIDIA drivers (385.69, 385.12 BETA & 382.53).

Bad news:
1. There are no noticeable improvements in eliminating stutter using any other drivers. GTA 5, TW3 and PUBG (for e.g. only).
2. There are SOME annoying spikes in Fortnite BR but they're not so frequent.
HM Logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULxP2IRVD-esOUIESc9gHVo5FOlXGIn-

Good news:
1. There are NO frametime spikes in CS:GO offline battle WITHOUT any bots. But there're noticeable in Community Servers even with low ping, maybe, it's server or player amount related. Don't know what's wrong with online CS playing. Tried Steam version and pirated one, no changes in performance.
HM Logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BaoQVGbbNPg1awHhGfvD6YzFcqbmrIrM

2. NVIDIA driver 385.69 (Sep, 2017) helps a bit to reduce spikes in GTA 5 and PUBG. Frametime graph is more smooth. Maybe it's random event and driver isn't related to this temporary frametime "smoothness". You can compare logs with different drivers and make conclusion am I right or not.
PUBG HM Logs with 397.31 driver:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NN8FuX05oKRXXWyoE-0wLsG10hJDUgho
PUBG HM Logs with 385.69 driver:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gQlE3ZD6UFfhcJrSmocx1FUyUqs-EgdX

Questions:
1. What do you think about all these tests?
2. Can NVIDIA drivers be the only one culprit by following the new results? Or it's more game related?
3. What another working fixes should I try to make a workaround if it's game related?

P.S.
I play GTA 5 single player only, not multiplayer.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
I have a rather interesting thing to add.

I got a game a ways back that push my system to the point that I was not getting 60+fps. It would jump from 20-65fps. I thought it was odd how much it would jump. I pull up MSI AB and the GPU was under a full load. I thought to myself meh, I'll OC it latter.

I OC'd it the card, nothing, no increase in FPS. So I OC more and still nothing, I then check to see if the card was OC'ing.
This is were I found out about NVIDIA's new Boost clocks. The card would downclock when running hot and overclock only when cold.
I found how to change the temp that the boost clocks would kick in.

With a tool called NVIDIA driver inspector I open the OCing tab and set the prioritize temperature to the max and it would keep the boost clock speed and not down clock. The FPS I was getting become far more stable, not 60+ but no more FPS swings.
View attachment 198620

Id give this a try.

OP
K

Knower

Registered
I have a rather interesting thing to add.

I got a game a ways back that push my system to the point that I was not getting 60+fps. It would jump from 20-65fps. I thought it was odd how much it would jump. I pull up MSI AB and the GPU was under a full load. I thought to myself meh, I'll OC it latter.

I OC'd it the card, nothing, no increase in FPS. So I OC more and still nothing, I then check to see if the card was OC'ing.
This is were I found out about NVIDIA's new Boost clocks. The card would downclock when running hot and overclock only when cold.
I found how to change the temp that the boost clocks would kick in.

With a tool called NVIDIA driver inspector I open the OCing tab and set the prioritize temperature to the max and it would keep the boost clock speed and not down clock. The FPS I was getting become far more stable, not 60+ but no more FPS swings.
View attachment 198620

Id give this a try.

Your driver is too old.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
Too old for what?
Take a look at the copy right data on it title bar? 344 is from 2014 and so is the copyright, then you have the file name.

My gaming system stays offline just about 24/7 and when it is online I keep it behind a white listed firewall so I took a screen shot online to use as an example.

Last edited:
OP
K

Knower

Registered
Too old for what?
Take a look at the copy right data on it title bar? 344 is from 2014 and so is the copyright, then you have the file name.

My gaming system stays offline just about 24/7 and when it is online I keep it behind a white listed firewall so I took a screen shot online to use as an example.

Sorry I'm away from home until at least Wednesday.

havent you tried everything else except test the hardware like i suggested?

Hi community,

How are you there with your rig? Any issues in games (frame time spikes, FPS drops, stuttering)? Any improvements in PUBG performance?

Well, I want to ask you something about 'msconfig' OS Settings:
1. Should I set maximum amount of CPUs (physical & logical)? AFAIK with default settings (unchecked "Number of processors:" field) Windows try to use maximum possible amount of processors, but will I improve performance (at least barely) with manual "12 CPUs" setting?
2. Especially, should I enable PCI Lock (disabled by default) in BOOT Advanced Options? I found some unconfirmed info on the Internet that somebody had CPU frequency misalignment (e.g. 2.28 GHz instead of default basic 2.3 GHz). Any helpful advices here?

Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fR1LXzbG1CvcR8iHcyPBlRiUPbIrMFmh

Thank you for attention!

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Are your games on the HDD?
You should really make a sig with your HW so I don't have to go to page one to see what I'm dealing with here