• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100Mhz Celerons -- how do they compare?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theartofbone

Registered
Hey everyone..

right now I'm convincing my rather unexperienced friend on his next cpu upgrade. He's very stubborn and listens to everything his brother tells him. Anyway, the deal is that he has a Celeron 600 right now, old school 66mhz bus, 128kb cache. It's starting to show it's age, and he says his brother's p3 450 out performs it, etc, whatever. Anyway, that asside, he says he wants to purchase a p3 1 gig and i told him to get a celeron 1.2Ghz, which of course'll cost less, and should give hime equal or if not greater performance. He then brings up the issue of how come it costs more for the p3, etc, and I explain to him it has more cache, and whatnot.. but anyway...

He'll only believe me with an online review comparing the "new" celerons with other intel cpus. Can anyone throw me a url so I can then forward it to him?

*edit* Also a review where they compare to other amd cpu's would also do wonders.

Johan

What chip works best will depend on the mobo. What mobo does he have?

JaY_III

Senior of BX
ever thing of overclocking the 600
odds are VERY good that is will do 900
and that is FREE.

OP
T

theartofbone

Registered
I belive he has a via mpv3 something something. It has both, Socket 370 and Slot 1 spport... I can check later on today. And yea, I've tried OCing. It'll just do around 675 stable, 740 somewhat stable. I know his board supports pentium 3's cause it Identifys his celeron 600 has a pentium 3, and its using a bios from 2000. gotta update the thing. ;)

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
That chipset won't support a Celeron 1200... you need either the i815EPT or the Via 694T chipset. You can go up to a PIII 1100 or a Celeron 1100. I'd suggest a PIII or Celey 1GHz, non-Tualatin.

Last edited:

cack01

I would just spend the extra $$ on the PIII make sure its the EB stepping. The extra 33 FSB can do wonders. Plus with some decent air colling it can go 1.2 easy.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
i would find yourself a good MB taht O/Cs well and try to get the 600 celly to hit 100fsb. That is very possible. There is a good chance taht your friends MB is just a dog all around. If the chipset is junk then no matter what CPU he installs it will never reach its full potential.

Finding a good used MB is alot cheaper than finding a good use P3. It will also give him an upgrade path that is more explorable than a CPU.

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
stompah said:
Finding a good used MB is alot cheaper than finding a good use P3. It will also give him an upgrade path that is more explorable than a CPU.

I would agree. For less than you'd pay for that PIII, you could get an Abit ST6 and put that Celey in it and get it up to 100MHz FSB easy... and in the future he could get a Tualatin Celey or PIII if he'd want one.

srv540

Registered
my celly 1gig 128k runs stable at 1333mhz at 2.05v
will post at 1400 but need better cooling then retail heatsink, with h20 should break 1400 no problem, thats pretty good for a celeron2.

-=UR=- Ranger

An Abit St6 board with a Celeron Tualatin wouldn't be much more expensive than a 1 Gig P III alone and much more speed for the money. And it overclocks better:D

OP
T

theartofbone

Registered
UR Ranger, is that Abit AT6 pretty good? Never heard of em.. What about the upgrade path in the future with it? I've only had two abit boards, A BH6 and a KT7. Both worked wonders... right now I'm on a K7S5A, and it's alright, but shoulda gotten an abit. =P