• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1055t with ecs 8100 mobo o/c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twocents

Registered
Hello all,

First of all thanks for having set up this useful site. Have been reading some of the posts on here and very useful.

I am new to over-clocking and this is my first attempt. Just wondering whether the set up I have managed to get to over the last couple of days is safe/OK or whether you guys think I can push it any further without changing the board.

CPU: Phenom II 1055t (95w)
Mobo GF / (ECS) 8100VM-M5 (v.1.0) - Chipset is Nvidia nForce 720a (a2)
PSU: OcZ Z5 650w
GPU: GTX 670 (MSI O/C edition).
CPU Cooler: Hyper 612
Front and rear case fans - 120mm.
Ram: 4gb DDR2 mis-matched pair (yes, I Know!) rated 800, downclocked to 266Mhz, (so that the SPD timings match on each stick).

CPU running at 3.412Ghz on all 6 cores. Stable enough for Crysis but P95 throws errors after 2 minutes (which I have figured out is due to ram being mis-paired - it will go at 3.5GhZ with just one stick).

Obviously c&q off, turbo off.

FSB at 244Mhz, (locked) multi is 14.
HT 'ratio' set to auto (10*) and running at 2437,6 Mhz.
'Northbridge', as shown in memory tab on CPU-Z, is running at 2437.7 Mhz - seems to be getting close to pushing it but I can't do much about that!

Mobo bios has no adjustment for northbridge ratio or vcore, only HT and FSB. Have left memory timing on auto (dual channel mode).

HW monitor showing 139.2W for 'Package' (whatever that is!) but this is the same as when I run it all at stock / default. The cpu temps reported by HW Monitor rarely get above 30/32 under Crysis. More worried about the board itself.

3.4GHz is not really pushing the boat out I know but I am new to this and worried I am pushing this old mobo a bit.

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated. I have some screen shots of cpu-z and hwmon but having trouble attaching.

Cheers

Attachments

• cpuz.bmp
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
  • hwmon.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
You are taking a significant performance hit by down-clocking your ram to 266 from 400. Usually, when using mismatched memory the bios will adjust frequency and or timings to accommodate the slower member of the ram combo. Have you tried just leaving the ram frequency and timing settings on Auto? And even if it doesn't get it right automatically, you can manually relax the timings of the faster ram to match that of the slower ram. If you look in the SPD tab of CPU-z (which you did not attach with your post) it will tell you what the manufacturer's recommended voltages and timings are for each module of the ram if you will click on the slot # in the drop down box of the SPD tab (empty slots do not display). Then you can jot that down and go into bios and configure it manually. You don't need to be concerned with the myriad of timings you will see in bios. Leave most of them on Auto but only concern yourself with manually setting the ones that display in CPU-z as the others aren't important.

That's a fair overclock but yes, you should really keep your motherboard in mind. They had their reasons for not choosing to support the X6 processors over 3.0ghz and it's because the VRM isn't intended to do much more than provide acceptable power to a 95 watt tdp chip. At your overclock you're probably 50% above what they intended that board to do while living a fair lifespan.

I'd go so far as to say if I had your computer I'd take it back a few notches, I might feel safe at 3Ghz but even then I'd probably be attempting to fasten spare heat sinks onto the VRM.

Wow, Thanks for the quick replies guys. I didn't expect so much help so quickly! I won't push it any further then for now. Re the ram timings, the problem was that I thought i could get away with bumping it down to say 333mhz and then it would come back to roughly stock / just below with the fsb overclock, but when I looked, one stick will not run at 333 only 266, so I just matched them at 266mhz for an easy life. They will not even boot on auto settings at 3.412ghz / 244 fsb. Thanks again.

Attachments

• memory1.bmp
    477.4 KB · Views: 84
  • memory2.bmp
    486.5 KB · Views: 82
OK then - Will use this o/c just for Crysis and downclock to stock for normal use.

ps If this all goes horribly wrong can you guys suggest a reasonably priced board to get the most out of this cpu... ;)

Last edited:
Just because there is no 333 mhz JEDEC column showing for the one kind of ram does not mean it won't run at that speed. Ram should run at any frequency up to it's max rating. Apparently, the manufacturer did not for some reason include JEDEC information on the module to be read by CPU-z but that doesn't mean it won't run at 333. I'd certainly try it. Maybe there was only enough data space on the info chip for three JEDEC columns.

Last edited:
Hi again all,

Wondered if anybody could please help?

I have traded up to a new mobo (M5A99X) to get better and safer overclocking out of my 1055t 95 watt. Also invested in a Noctua NH-D14 which I am well impressed with.

Everything was going well until last night when, after a few beers, I decided to go for 4ghz. Previous to this I was stable in Prime95 for an hour at 3.9GHz.

To get to 4Ghz, I messed around with the voltage and put it to 1.45v using the 'manual' setting in AI Tweaker. It ran fine on Prime95 but then I read that the 95 watt chip is not supposed to be volted over about 3.75 (Some guy called Martin did an extensive thread on overclocking the 1055t on Google).

Previously, at 3.9Ghz I was at a vcore of between 3.8 and 3.92 with decent temps as shown attached.

Now after having briefly increased the voltage to 1.45v and then trying to lower it again I find that the bios does not save the reduced voltage and worse it is now defaulting to 1.43v in offset mode at stock speed of 2.8Ghz (previously maxed out at 3.56 volts in Prime95 at this speed) even if I manually set it lower and save it, it still wants to put more voltage than it used to.

Have I broken something?:shock::cry::confused:

It shut down completely this morning and would not even post before shutting down so I am a bit scared now! Got is going again thankfully with 'stock' F5 settings but the vcore just will not stay where I want it.

1055t95w.png

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

B.

So are you making manual changes in bios or are you using software to overclock? I'm a little confused by what you say here. If you make manual changes in bios and save them the will "stick". If you're using software you have to tell the program to load those values every time it starts.

And it is not true that you should not overvolt a 95W CPU past 3.92. That's garbage. Temps are what is important. Are those temps in HWMonitor load temps or idle temps? If they are load temps they are great! Please have HWMonitor open before you start a Prime95 stress test so we can see the range of temp change from min at idel to max under load. As it is, we can't tell what's going on.

Thanks Trents,

I am using the bios. The bios has an option to save up to 8 overclock profiles so you can load them at will. Until last night, I had saved several profiles ranging from stock up to 3.9Ghz. Until then, I had not touched the CPU voltage or switched anything relating to it in the bios (just left them on default/auto) and each profile loaded fine and was stable. Once I upped the voltage in my attempt to get to 4Ghz and saved it as a new profile, it appears to have carried over into all the previously saved profiles so now I don't know which way is up! If I just try and reset the bios to default settings (F5), it still shows voltage of 1.41 to 1.5 volts at stock speed of 2.8Ghz so I figured I must have messed something up. The default setting for cpu Volts is 'offset' mode and I don't understand what it does.

The only way I can get around it is to set the cpu voltage method to 'manual' and then put in a figure. Then it sticks. I guess I will just try to find a voltage that boots and runs stable at 4Ghz and then manually keep knocking it down to the minimum I can get away with. What scared me a bit was that I tried this running Intel Burn in test with too low a voltage and it shut down and wouldn't even power up for 5 or 6 attempts. Still, its working now!

What do you think would be a safe max voltage to put through this chip without hurting it?

Thanks for the comment on the temps - it probably has something to do with the fact that it is freezing here and very drafty!

Cheers

You should be using the manual setting for CPU voltage and not Auto. Max safe voltage is not as important question as is max safe temps. Just keep you core temps from exceeding about 60c and your CPU socket temps from exceeding 70c.

Back