• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1070 Strix and EK Backplate Compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamato

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. I'm looking to pull the trigger on the Asus 1070 Strix here shortly. But I need a block for it. I was going to go with the EK solution, but they are stating that the factory backplate (which I wanted to keep) isn't compatible with the water block. When I emailed them I couldn't seem to get a specific reason why. Would be great if I could mod the backplate to still fit. Currently I don't run one on my 7970 with heatkiller block. Are they still just an aesthetic thing these days?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
EK makes a backplate for the 1070 STRIX which is compatible with their block.
If there are no thermal pads on the backplate, it's for aesthetics.

OP
bamato

bamato

I was hoping to avoid buying the EK plate because I don't like the way they look, and the backplate on the Strix card is nice. Or I'd just run without one. And I wasn't sure if that was an issue with these cards.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Shouldn't be an issue, no, but I personally prefer the extra support of a backplate when using a block.