• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080 sli or 1080ti @ 1440*1560 100+fps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeclaredSnow

Registered
Hey, at this time. Performance wise, would it be better running two 1080 or a single 1080ti for 1440 gaming at high fps?

I might be answering my own question, but I am thinking 1080ti since its newer and cheaper then two 1080s.

Amd I would be able to go sli in the future when that single card starts to struggle.

Or would two 1080s be so overkill for 1440 that it would last me for a good time? And worth the highter cost now vs a single 1080ti and another one in the future, where I suspect I would want that new generations cars instead of the "older 1080ti".

Also what performance would we look at in % ? In theory of course. In other words how much more powerful is that extra 1080 in sli in a perfect environment with a full sli supported task?

Yes I know, but most should. Worst case senario it runs on one card. But since 1080ti is aimed at 4k stuff. Would I get away. With one 1080 and another one later down the line, or should I go 1080ti. Another thing, how much more performance would you get from the second card on this 10 generation?

I assume we are talking 2560x1440, right? You have two threads with the same typo, lol!

Anyway, single card 1080ti. Get away from multi gpu as support for it feels like it is waning.

Skip the SLI. Also, you dont really need a 1080ti for 1440p gaming. I run an overclocked 1070 and I am able to get 75 - 100 FPS at 1440p on almost all games. I think the 1080 would keep you in at around 100 FPS in just about every game. The 1080ti would probably be a bit overkill.

Yep, 1080ti. Or if you are not dead set with nVidia, you could wait a few weeks and check what RX Vega will be like (between 1080 and 1080ti according to early benchmarks). And if it overclock in the 15% brange, it would match a 1080ti (which clearly doesn't overclock well with their crappy boost technology...). And FreeSync monitors are much cheaper than GSYnc ones...

Hi!,

I've first had the 1070 in SLI, i've switched to a 1080 Ti and i really really dont regret it. Mostely higher fps because of the lack of good scaling. So a single is always better then SLI, only benchmark and a little couple of games will be have a little more fps.

Going to jump on the bandwagon and tell you to get a 1080ti as well. Avoid SLI if you can. I'm currently running a 1080 (need to update my sig) and it handles 1440 with my 95hz refresh rate quite well. I'd love to have a 1080ti, but for my purposes my non 1080 does fine.

Side note - I don't see anywhere that OP said something about his 1440 screen being above 60hz. I think we are assuming he is talking high refresh rate screen because he said 100+ FPS, but i would want to confirm this. Because if he is talking just 60hz then I think he's fine with just a 1080...

I actually have a different opinion. If you're asking purely about performance - budget and power consumption aside - 1080 SLI does better in all games that support SLI than 1080 ti.

Most high-end games support SLI and can actually utilize that extra GPU power. The games that don't support SLI are usually the games that for which a single 1080 will perform about the same as a single 1080Ti (There will still be a FPS difference between the cards, but 180FPS is probably not that much better than 150).

The 1080 ti is the better overall choice if you have to consider practical things such as price, power consumption, heat, space, etc - No doubt about it. But performance wise, 1080 SLI beats 1080 Ti.

I will jump on the bandwagon and say a single 1080 Ti vs 1080 in SLI.

While in theory the SLI will be faster, in practicality it often is not due to poor SLI implementations.

As just 1 GPU looks lonely in a case, if you are gung-ho about SLI, get another 1080 Ti in the future! :D

Yeah I meant to say 2560x 1440 165Hz.

after I almost got myself that monitor and a rog strix 1080ti, I changed my mind. I instead went with a ASUS 1920x 1080 24 144Hz monitor. so that's my third 1080p monitor. The reason for this cowardly retreat from 2560x 1440p gaming is that there are only like 2 high end G-sync monitors in the IPS 166hz range. ( ASUS swift and the predator from acer ). so I was like. you know what. ill just wait for the 2080 or the 2080ti instead, and hope for some newer panels by that time. And now that Vega is trying to push id expect some interesting cards from NVIDIA in the 20 series.

so yes. playing with my 1060 that clocks like a monster until the next gen partner cards are here should be doable. spend some money on my case, cooling and storage instead.

now I am lurking until those next gen cards hit the market.

Yeah I meant to say 2560x 1440 165Hz.

after I almost got myself that monitor and a rog strix 1080ti, I changed my mind. I instead went with a ASUS 1920x 1080 24 144Hz monitor. so that's my third 1080p monitor. The reason for this cowardly retreat from 2560x 1440p gaming is that there are only like 2 high end G-sync monitors in the IPS 166hz range. ( ASUS swift and the predator from acer ). so I was like. you know what. ill just wait for the 2080 or the 2080ti instead, and hope for some newer panels by that time. And now that Vega is trying to push id expect some interesting cards from NVIDIA in the 20 series.

so yes. playing with my 1060 that clocks like a monster until the next gen partner cards are here should be doable. spend some money on my case, cooling and storage instead.

now I am lurking until those next gen cards hit the market.

At the end of the day, get what you want and what works for you. But, there will always be something newer and better coming out. So when the 2080(ti) comes out, Acer will prob have their 4k 144hz IPS screen out and that will warrant waiting for the 3080ti and so on. I personally say get the screen you want and don't spent money on something that's not what you really want, unless that item is out of your price range and yes, they are expensive expensive screens. Also 27in screens are so much nicer that 24". I recently got a friend to make the switch and he just loves all the additional real estate he has.

you are absolutely right. That's the desktop way of life, always something better right around the corner. But like i said, i already have a 10 series GPU, even if its mid range, i can get it to spit out about 100-120fps on the games i like to play with high fps, while lowering settings that doesn't bother me that much. and a stable 144 on some as well. Hell i run warframe @ 4k almost with 60 fps using a mix of low/med/ high settings. that game is laughable low taxing on hardware.

anyway. I've made piece with myself. i came back to pc building/gaming for about a year ago. i started with a dual AMD core on a eldered board paired with a 750TI and a single 22" monitor. now look how far I've come in just one year. so i am ok with this, for now. and like i said. ill be waiting for the specs of the high end 20 gen cards. before i decide on what monitor / card ill throw a few k at :)

I don't know about new components for PCs being right around the corner, I have had my GTX 1070 Video card for about a year and that is two long, how much longer do I have to wait to get a new model.

I don't know about new components for PCs being right around the corner, I have had my GTX 1070 Video card for about a year and that is two long, how much longer do I have to wait to get a new model.

Hush just got my 1080 yesterday

I'd be hard pressed to say go SLI/Crossfire (Dual Cards) in almost any case these days. While drivers are pretty decent in some cases others it just seems to be more of an issue to even having the 2 cards in the system.

Having just a single card is easy, its installing a driver and going with the game, or tweaking the OC. 2 Cards is constantly staying ontop of drivers you have to test both cards if you OC them and additional power consumption/heat output. Really the bigger issue is hoping it works in a positive way with games.

I'd say if you want to tweak and tinkering yes Dual Cards all the way, though I'd say that more so with the cheaper cards not expensive high end ones as those are the ones that seem to benefit from it the most.

I'd be hard pressed to say go SLI/Crossfire (Dual Cards) in almost any case these days. While drivers are pretty decent in some cases others it just seems to be more of an issue to even having the 2 cards in the system.

Having just a single card is easy, its installing a driver and going with the game, or tweaking the OC. 2 Cards is constantly staying ontop of drivers you have to test both cards if you OC them and additional power consumption/heat output. Really the bigger issue is hoping it works in a positive way with games.

I'd say if you want to tweak and tinkering yes Dual Cards all the way, though I'd say that more so with the cheaper cards not expensive high end ones as those are the ones that seem to benefit from it the most.

A while back I was testing GTX 690 in both dual and quad SLI. SLI worked for most things. In BF1 it messed up the menus to the point it was unplayable. Quad SLI was only good for benching. At that point I decided that if my single GTX 1080 Ti became too old I would just get a newer card. Meh...

Back