• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080 Ti Multi-card question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I've got a system that is eventually going to have 4 1080 Ti cards in it.

Currently it has 1 1080 Ti FE Nvidia card, and I'll have an EVGA FE version in about 2 weeks.

I'm going to pull the trigger on another card today.

I'm going to be using riser cables to help manage air-flow. Either 9cm or 20cm cables. Probably 20cm cables with 2 cards on cables and 2 directly in the motherboard.

Withe the FE cards, the riser cables won't be in the direct path of a intake fan. I'm going to have 2 FE cards for sure.

Would I be better off with the riser cable cards being multi-fan cards?

Any suggestions on the best multi-fan cards under $725 if I go that way?

Sorry, still thinking this out.

Edit: open air benching station.

Last edited:
Since 2 cards will be on riser cables I dont see where going aftermarket will make much of a difference TBH.

I agree with ssj wizard but, I would prefer the FE's on the risers and the better coolers on the board, just to be sure of proper cooling.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that you could only dual SLI the 1080 Ti's, that you could not use 3 or 4 cards.

he is not sli'ing them, he is using them for compute units, they work on their own stuff, no sli cable used.

cards.PNG

in this rig I have a 1080 for video and a 1060 for phys-x and the 1060 has no fingers for sli.

you can contact nvidia and they will send you an unlockkey to enable 3 and 4 way sli... as far as I can remember... would have to look up the details. Would not be worth I guess, but possible

Nope. Thy WERE going to do that. That have officially dropped support for more than 2 way SLI in the 10XX series cards. The drivers will work for benchmark programs only for more than two cards. They have to do that for the serious overclockers that O/C their CPU to like 6GHz and their GPU's to 3GHz so they can have the 3dMark world record.

Nope. Thy WERE going to do that. That have officially dropped support for more than 2 way SLI in the 10XX series cards. The drivers will work for benchmark programs only for more than two cards. They have to do that for the serious overclockers that O/C their CPU to like 6GHz and their GPU's to 3GHz so they can have the 3dMark world record.

My bad, you're right.
They only mentioned some "support" for game developers:

"We continue to work with all developers creating games and VR applications that take advantage of 2 or more GPUs to make sure they’ll work great on GeForce 10-series GPUs."

which is a huge questionmark... maybe some selected future games will support it but I highly doubt even that

Btw, I'm currently running 3 1080 Ti cards at the moment and they are doing exactly what I want. I'm not running them SLI, I just want them to fold in Folding@home for me.

You bought 3 1080Ti's just to do Folding@Home?? :confused:

3 1080 Ti's, 1 1080 GTX, 2 1070s (an addtional 1070 that was stepped-up to be one of the 1080 Ti's) and 2 970 GTX (I had an extra one that I gave to my nephew.) though one is idle at the moment. It will be back up once I get the second PSU installed to handle the 4th card in my daily driver, plus the riser cable for it as well. Then when I've got the cash, I'll get it swapped out for a 1080 Ti as well.

Currently my daily points production is 35th in the world. And we have 4 people on our team here at OCF that are producing more than me.

3 1080 Ti's, 1 1080 GTX, 2 1070s (an addtional 1070 that was stepped-up to be one of the 1080 Ti's) and 2 970 GTX (I had an extra one that I gave to my nephew.) though one is idle at the moment. It will be back up once I get the second PSU installed to handle the 4th card in my daily driver, plus the riser cable for it as well. Then when I've got the cash, I'll get it swapped out for a 1080 Ti as well.

Currently my daily points production is 35th in the world. And we have 4 people on our team here at OCF that are producing more than me.

Wow, very nice...that is devotion. I'm a microbiologist by day, so I thank you for your contribution to science :clap:

Wow, very nice...that is devotion. I'm a microbiologist by day, so I thank you for your contribution to science :clap:

I figure it is the most direct contribution I can make to improve the human physical/medical condition. The points counting is fun, but I do it for the expansion of the understanding of how proteins work, and how we can better make them do what we need to.

My wife just puts up with it as long as the house doesn't get too hot and the power bill doesn't break the budget.

Back