• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080ti- PSU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You PM'd me and i answered this already...?

As i said...any will be fine. For cleanliness just use a 6 to 8.

Its a 6 of one half dozen of the other situation which means they are all the same.

You PM'd me and i answered this already...?

As i said...any will be fine. For cleanliness just use a 6 to 8.

Its a 6 of one half dozen of the other situation which means they are all the same.

I asked here because of two reasons:
1> My mind ddin't understood all of your words sir [lack of english knowledge and google sucks]

2> The varations of options how to use this PSU are plenty, sience its only an 600 WATT and he has 6 years already.
There are plenty of opinions about the 6 pin-> 8 pin adapters
Some persons are using 2x6 pin -> 8 pin
+ 2x molex- > 8 pin
Just to avoid OVERLOAD on the 2x6-pin wires
MY PSU has an 80-83% efficiency - but its an OLD model, and I don't want to kill it or the Graphic Card.

I'm just looking for best solution, sience this G.Card has limit to 250 WATT + 7700k 150 WATT= overall 400

And like I mentioned before, I'm searching for best solutions , to don't use 250 WATT on the same WIRES. I can't understeand corectly the PSU specyfication [ to noob'izm here] and I'm wondering if i split this power consumption between 2 diffrent would be better for Graphic Card and PSU itself
For example:
2x6 pin-> 8 pin
2x molex -> 8 pin
Changing 2x6 pin ==> 2x8 pin by adapter, on the same WIRES, may be to risky sience my PSU 6 pin wires looks like that:

3Ewyua1.png

I'm jsut guessing, and asking, pelase dont get mad

I wouldn't worry about overloading on 1 1080 Ti card with a 600 watt PSU.

I'm running 3 1080 Ti cards and it is pulling about 850 - 900 watts total from the wall according to the power meter on my UPS.

Also, the motherboard is directly supplying about 75 watts of the video card's power from the slot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express (3rd section titled "Power" under "Form Factors").

7700k = 94W. I doubt you'd ever reach 150w overclocked. 600w is plenty for that setup. Remember efficiency doesnt tale away from the power kt can put out...it goes against the power being taken from the wall. So if your system actually used 500w and is 80% efficient, it would pull 600w from the wall.

Is that two 6 pins on one line? Is that what your image is trying to show?

Maybe just get a better psu at this point.. evga supernova g2/g3 650w...

7700k = 94W. I doubt you'd ever reach 150w overclocked. 600w is plenty for that setup. Remember efficiency doesnt tale away from the power kt can put out...it goes against the power being taken from the wall. So if your system actually used 500w and is 80% efficient, it would pull 600w from the wall.

Is that two 6 pins on one line? Is that what your image is trying to show?

Maybe just get a better psu at this point.. evga supernova g2/g3 650w...

Yes, those 2x6 pins are at ONE LINE, so i came to conclusion with this thing:
lzuTJtx.png
Instead of using MSI 6-> 8 pin adapter, I thing its going to be more safe..

The second 8pin I would make with this one:
XSt0VhF.png

What do You think?
With one line I want to make 8 pin cable, and from MOLEX i want to make second one 8 pin.
Should it work?

My 2 cents: Replace that PSU. It was a mediocre unit at best in it's day. I had a few of them. You will kill it with your setup.
Save yourself the aggravation right now.

My 2 cents: Replace that PSU. It was a mediocre unit at best in it's day. I had a few of them. You will kill it with your setup.
Save yourself the aggravation right now.

If I'm going to kill PSU - nothing happens cuz i have to repalce him anyway
I wonder if i don't kill GPU or CPU! or MOBO!

THAT is the conundrum. Do you feel lucky?

I belive in math, and this is why I asked wich conclusion is best one, WITH Suply calcualtors, answer is simple: It's pretty enough.

But question is: How do I deliver the POWER into graphic card;

adapter 6 pin -> 8 pin
adapter 6 pin -> 8 pin
or:
adapter 2x6pin -> 8 pin
adapter 2x molex -> 8 pin

or:
adapter 6 pin -> 8 pin
6 pin -> not plugged
2x molex-> 8 pin

The thing is: I don't know what happens when 2x6 pin PCiE plugs are on the same line, How should I use them 2x6pin-> 8 pin or 6->8 and 6->8 sperated wich thing what MSI gave me with Graphic card:
qXGuVgb.png

Any of the adapters will be fine, just like what was stated earlier.

Now, the education part. Power calculators are made to inflate the numbers so manufacturers can sell you a more expensive product than you need. Trust none of them. What they don't take into consideration is the quality of the unit. They are not all created equal.
Realistically, you could get by on a quality 500w unit.......and I would do that rather than gamble on a 6 year old crappy one.

Any of the adapters will be fine, just like what was stated earlier.

Now, the education part. Power calculators are made to inflate the numbers so manufacturers can sell you a more expensive product than you need. Trust none of them. What they don't take into consideration is the quality of the unit. They are not all created equal.
Realistically, you could get by on a quality 500w unit.......and I would do that rather than gamble on a 6 year old crappy one.

We will see if hes crappy, about education I would like to hear education in this part:
If the 2x6pin plugs are on same line, has PSU enough efficiency to put POWER with 2x6pin--->2x8 pin adapters? Or i should use only 1 adapter from PCIE, and the rest of POWER drag from Molex wires?

You will have to load balance because it's a multi rail unit. Use 1 PCI-e and what ever other rail has the least peripheral devices on it.

You will have to load balance because it's a multi rail unit. Use 1 PCI-e and what ever other rail has the least peripheral devices on it.

You mean 1 PCIE 6-> 8 pin, then next 6 pin leave free because its on 1 line, and use MOLEX adapter to 8 pin, right?
or you meant 2x6pin -> 8 pin adapter = molex?

I wouldn't worry about overloading on 1 1080 Ti card with a 600 watt PSU.

I'm running 3 1080 Ti cards and it is pulling about 850 - 900 watts total from the wall according to the power meter on my UPS.

Also, the motherboard is directly supplying about 75 watts of the video card's power from the slot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express (3rd section titled "Power" under "Form Factors").

I'm running my 1080 Ti + Ryzen [email protected] on 450W Corsair SFX PSU right now. Actually couple of days 24/7 without issues and voltages seem fine. Mixed load, some games, some other stuff. I wonder how long it will run without issues :)

600W is enough but this unit can be compared to something 450-500W gold 90+. New motherboards and graphics cards have additional protection so nothing should happen and in the worst case only PSU will die ( at least in theory :p ). The best would be something gold/platinum 600W+ but I know these units are expensive.
Other things I said on pm so won't repeat that again.

It is a FSP unit so in theory it should be more or less fine. 6 years later I wouldn't waste money on adapters and just get something new.

Back