• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080ti- PSU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is a FSP unit so in theory it should be more or less fine. 6 years later I wouldn't waste money on adapters and just get something new.

You mean spending1$ is a waste instead of 80$ for buying new one, when old one is fine?

You mean spending1$ is a waste instead of 80$ for buying new one, when old one is fine?

You assume it is fine. Have you load tested it with 330w of GPU load on it plus the CPU? That puts you pretty high into the curve, on top of that FSP isn't a tier 1 PSU manufacturer nor is OCZ. I wouldn't bet $700 USD on a 6 year old middle of the road PSU with the wrong connectors and $30 worth of chinese adapters.

You assume it is fine. Have you load tested it with 330w of GPU load on it plus the CPU? That puts you pretty high into the curve, on top of that FSP isn't a tier 1 PSU manufacturer nor is OCZ. I wouldn't bet $700 USD on a 6 year old middle of the road PSU with the wrong connectors and $30 worth of chinese adapters.

If PSU won't be able to load enough power, what technicly can happen? I think my PC will just shut-down or an ERROR will apear, nothing else should happen if there is not enough WATTage, right?

Load beyond available voltage increases amperage draw, which increases heat in the areas of most resistance. The result is a LOT of heat at connection points (connectors). If the PSU doesn't have thermal protection built in, it could result in a fire. That is the worst case scenario, and isn't the most likely outcome. But it is a possibility. If there were any way I could afford to avoid your situation (new, quality PSU) I would take it.

I wouldn't bet $700 USD on a 6 year old middle of the road PSU with the wrong connectors and $30 worth of chinese adapters.

With all sincerity, this^.

Load beyond available voltage increases amperage draw, which increases heat in the areas of most resistance. The result is a LOT of heat at connection points (connectors). If the PSU doesn't have thermal protection built in, it could result in a fire. That is the worst case scenario, and isn't the most likely outcome. But it is a possibility. If there were any way I could afford to avoid your situation (new, quality PSU) I would take it.

With all sincerity, this^.

my psu got thermal protc...

If PSU won't be able to load enough power, what technicly can happen? I think my PC will just shut-down or an ERROR will apear, nothing else should happen if there is not enough WATTage, right?

Worst case? A spike in voltage from a short when the PSU fries that takes out the majority of components attached to the unit.

Are the OCZ OCZ600SXS 600W known to cause problems? I have been using my Corsair HX Series 620W for 9 years 8/7 with no problem.

Are the OCZ OCZ600SXS 600W known to cause problems? I have been using my Corsair HX Series 620W for 9 years 8/7 with no problem.

Not usually. I've had 4 of them, 1 still active, but realize that these were used on much less demanding systems. They were only a mediocre unit at best back when they first came out.
Your Corsair is a much better unit.
Personally, I'd replace it......and I'm a cheap mofo, so take that for what it's worth.

Not usually. I've had 4 of them, 1 still active, but realize that these were used on much less demanding systems. They were only a mediocre unit at best back when they first came out.
Your Corsair is a much better unit.
Personally, I'd replace it......and I'm a cheap mofo, so take that for what it's worth.

What do you offer sir?

Depends on what's available in your country.
EVGA between 500w and 650w is pretty tough to beat for your system right now.....at least in US pricing.

Depends on what's available in your country.
EVGA between 500w and 650w is pretty tough to beat for your system right now.....at least in US pricing.

I will give an linkbelow, with the lowest prices of 600-700 w, Can u choose smthing for me?
BELOW 60 euros?

https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware...html/price_from/45/price_to/60/listing_sort/6

and one more question:
How Can i Monitor this PSU? are there diagnostic programs, or just from outside of my Tower by the wattmeter?

Last edited:
Back