• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080TI shutting down pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

System

i7 7800x factory speed
Tuf x99 mark 2
1080TI GPU
650 watt thermal intake psu

my system ran perfectly fine with my 1070 I bought a 1080TI Used * ya ya i bought it used ** installed it and pc runs fine but under gaming it shut down twice on my temps only hit 77C

my psu has a spare slot 8 PIN on it not being used if i ran a pci cable 8pin from that to the 4 pin on my gpu would that free up some power for it to run better ?? I read online some people did that and it worked... if thats my problem

any ideas ?

I just used pcpartpicker to see if there was problems

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/#problems

it says

1 additional EPS power connector is needed.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
4-pin on the GPU? There isn't a 4-pin on the GPU. The GPU needs 2x 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

How old is your thermaltake (thermal intake :p) PSU? A quality and properly functioning 650W PSU should have no issues running that machine. That said, the SMART series was a functional PSU, but not much more according to Jonnyguru...

Do you have another PSU around you can test with?

Last edited:

DaveB

System

i7 7800x factory speed
Tuf x99 mark 2
1080TI GPU
650 watt thermal intake psu

my system ran perfectly fine with my 1070 I bought a 1080TI Used * ya ya i bought it used ** installed it and pc runs fine but under gaming it shut down twice on my temps only hit 77C

my psu has a spare slot 8 PIN on it not being used if i ran a pci cable 8pin from that to the 4 pin on my gpu would that free up some power for it to run better ?? I read online some people did that and it worked... if thats my problem

any ideas ?

I just used pcpartpicker to see if there was problems

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/#problems

it says

1 additional EPS power connector is needed.

EPS connectors are for the motherboard, not the GPU. Your motherboard has an 8-pin EPS and a 4-pin EPS connector so I assume you're talking about the 4-pin EPS on the motherboard. As ED mentioned, the 1080Ti needs two 8-pin PCIe power connections.