• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10980XE on Gigabyte X299X : OC range with 360mm radiator, and PSU power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBloke

Hi all

I'm researching for my first new PC build in a decade, having saved for a long time. I run a Hackintosh, so I've decided to limit myself to Intel CPUs, as this is better supported when running macOS. My prime usage will be video editing and development, plus the occasional game (for which I'll dual-boot into Windows 10.)

I've looking at the following HW:

CPU: Intel 10980XE Extreme
MB: Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G (I want Thunderbolt 3 and 10GB Ethernet, and I know this MB works well in a Hackintosh)
RAM: 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 or 3733 (eg Corsair Vengeance Pro CAS 17-19-19-39)
GPU: my existing AMD Vega 64 8GB to start with, then hopefully the new 16GB AMD Big Navi RX 6000 card when it's available (I am limited to AMD GPUs due to running macOS)
NVMe drive: 1 or 2 TB
Case, PSU, cooling: To be decided

I would like to OC the 10980XE if I'm able to, and need to decide on what cooling and power to get. I don't want to go full custom loop water yet as I have no experience of it. I'm thinking I'll start with a 360mm AIO radiator, and maybe upgrade to a full custom water setup sometime in the future.

For the radiator I'm quite interested in the Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R, as it was Tom's Hardware's top recommended 360mm radiator, and it's quite affordable.

My first question is: what sort of OC am I likely to get on a 10980XE with a 360mm radiator like that? I've heard that all-core OCs are quite challenging on this CPU, so I'm not expecting big number. But it'd be great to get a bit of a boost if possible.

Or, should I consider a different 360mm AIO cooler?

Secondly: what size PSU should I be looking at for this system? Is 1000 or 1100W enough? There seems to be a big price jump to 1200W or 1300W so I'm hoping 1K will be enough for a moderately-OC'd CPU + single GPU?

Thanks very much in advance for any help and advice!

Hardware list looks good... good luck on getting that processor though... I gave up months ago.

As far as your power supply, an 850w unit will be plenty for that cpu overclocked and big navi. No way I'd go over 1kw...waste of money. :)

Hardware list looks good... good luck on getting that processor though... I gave up months ago.

As far as your power supply, an 850w unit will be plenty for that cpu overclocked and big navi. No way I'd go over 1kw...waste of money. :)

Thanks EarthDog! The 10980XE is thankfully in-stock for next day delivery here in the UK :)

That's good to hear about the PSU. I wasn't sure about that, as my current system (6-core Xeon X5670 on Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard, overclocked to 4.3Ghz) used to regularly and randomly reboot until I eventually - after literally years - upgraded the PSU from 750W to 1000W. I upgraded the PSU because I'd just upgraded the GPU and knew it needed more power, but was amazed when I realised the new PSU had also enabled me to get a rock-solid 4.3ghz OC with zero crashes, freezes or reboots. I'd not been able to get near that since I'd upgraded from 24 to 48GB RAM, and thought my system just couldn't do it. Then it turned out it was just lack of power.

As a result, I thought I might need even more juice for the 18-core 10980XE, especially if I was going to all-core OC it. But from what you say it sounds like 1KW will definitely be enough, which is great.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what sort of OC I'll be able to get on that CPU with a 360mm AIO radiator like the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R?

You had a bad PSU if if the 750W model didn't work with the previous system. That system as listed with a GPU won't pull over 450-500W when overclocked even. ;)

It depends on the silicon, but I would expect at least 4.5 GHz all cores/threads depending on testing. I run a custom 3x120mm loop on a 7960x and sit at 4.5 GHz. With it being better binned silicon you should be at least at that point.

Thanks EarthDog! The 10980XE is thankfully in-stock for next day delivery here in the UK :)

That's good to hear about the PSU. I wasn't sure about that, as my current system (6-core Xeon X5670 on Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard, overclocked to 4.3Ghz) used to regularly and randomly reboot until I eventually - after literally years - upgraded the PSU from 750W to 1000W. I upgraded the PSU because I'd just upgraded the GPU and knew it needed more power, but was amazed when I realised the new PSU had also enabled me to get a rock-solid 4.3ghz OC with zero crashes, freezes or reboots. I'd not been able to get near that since I'd upgraded from 24 to 48GB RAM, and thought my system just couldn't do it. Then it turned out it was just lack of power.

Sounds like the PSU you had, likely had bad caps. A chance you take when you get a bronze-grade PSU. (Or even the early-80-Plus standard, which is white-label, which is from long ago now, at least since 2008)

Ripple current getting in your system (with bad caps) can cause instability.

Efficiency doesn't equal quality. I can list many high-quality bronze efficiency parts. Be careful! ;)

Efficiency doesn't equal quality. I can list many high-quality bronze efficiency parts. Be careful! ;)

Only said that, because they like to slip in meh-at-best components in some bronze PSUs.

Most of the golds are looking very good. Ones from eVGA are looking good so far and Thermaltake, if you get a ToughPower.

Last edited:
You had a bad PSU if if the 750W model didn't work with the previous system. That system as listed with a GPU won't pull over 450-500W when overclocked even. ;)
Huh OK, that's very interesting! The PSU I had in my existing PC before I upgraded to 1000W was actually 730W, and it was a ThermalTake Smart SE 80+ Bronze (the sticker says 87% efficiency). Then a year ago I replaced it with an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ 80 Plus Gold.

So it was a weak PSU all along? I thought ThermalTake were an OK brand, but I guess I got a bad one?

Based on this I think I will actually take my existing EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 1KW and put it in the new PC. It looks like I got a great bargain - I paid £103 for it a year ago, and it sells for £170 now! Then I'll put the 730W ThermalTake back in the existing/old PC, and lower the OC. I won't be using the existing PC as much once I have the new one.

It depends on the silicon, but I would expect at least 4.5 GHz all cores/threads depending on testing. I run a custom 3x120mm loop on a 7960x and sit at 4.5 GHz. With it being better binned silicon you should be at least at that point.
Oh wow OK that's great. From what I'd heard about the 10980XE being hard to OC I didn't think I'd be able to get that much.

I've been looking around at other coolers, eg the AlphaCool Eissturm Hurricane Copper 45 which is 420mm and has a full tank and all, however based on its Tom's Hardware review it doesn't actually seem to cool any better than the CoolerMaster, and is twice the price and would limit my choice of case, so right now it seems like the CoolerMaster is my best bet.

Thanks again for the replies, all!

Last edited:
So based on everything, this is my current HW list

• CPU: "10980XE Extreme" Scan.co.uk, £950
  • MB: "Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G", Scan, £630
  • RAM: "Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR 3600Mhz", Overclockers.co.uk, £530
  • Disk: "2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, M.2 NVMe" Scan, £389
  • Cooling: "CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R" Scan, £140
  • Case: "be quiet! Dark Base 700", Overclockers, £180
  • PSU: "eVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ 80Plus Gold", £0
  • GPU: "Gigabyte AMD Vega 64 8GB", £0 (For now. Later, hopefully Radeon RX6000 16GB)
  • Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut, Overclockers, £6

Anyone spot any issues before I empty my bank account? :)

You may not be able to reach 3600 mnz with 128gb....3200 may be more prudent. You can try 3600 and if it doesn't work manually lower the speed and timings. Or save a wad of cash and xmp has a better chance at working with 128gb. :)

850w evga g3 is plenty for this build. If you insist on 1kw, get the g3 (newer) version.

You may not be able to reach 3600 mnz with 128gb....3200 may be more prudent. You can try 3600 and if it doesn't work manually lower the speed and timings. Or save a wad of cash and xmp has a better chance at working with 128gb. :)

Ah, interesting. Though strangely it actually seems that that 3600Mhz RAM is the cheapest option right now. Corsair have a 3200Mhz set: CMK128GX4M4E3200C16 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-20-20-38, XMP 2.0, 1.35V. But Scan sell it for £560, and Amazon for £537 but they're out of stock. Whereas the 3600Mhz 128GB kit is only £530 at Overclockers at the moment.

Unfortunately there's not a huge range of sellers in the UK for this sort of high-end stuff - it's basically Scan, Overclockers.co.uk and Amazon.

So seems my best bet is 3600Mhz anyway. That's good to know that I might not be able to achieve 3600Mhz, maybe when I start OCing I'll start at 3200Mhz and then try increasing from there, rather than starting at 3600.

850w evga g3 is plenty for this build. If you insist on 1kw, get the g3 (newer) version.

Well I already own the EVGA G1, so there's no cost involved :) I'm just going to take the 1KW PSU out of my existing PC and downgrade the OC on the existing PC, so I don't have to spend another £150+ on a new PSU. The G1 is 80+ Gold and has been running my existing PC OK at 4.3Ghz OC so hopefully it'll stand up, especially as you say I don't need 1KW anyway.

Though I may need a bit more than 850W, as in addition to all the HW mentioned I'll also have another 3 SATA3 drives, and an Intel X520 10GBe NIC (the onboard 10GBe on the new motherboard is copper, and my home 10GBe network currently only supports fibre, so I need to use my existing NIC for a while.)

Thanks again for all the info!

Last edited:
Guys, one more question, about the RAM. I've been doing a bit more research and considering instead of Corsair getting Patriot Memory Viper Steel Series DDR4 3600 32GB 18-20-20-40. Their 2 x 32GB kit is Tom's Hardware's top 64GB kit.

Only issue is I can't get a 4 x 32GB pack, and even the 2 x 32GB pack is not as available. So I'm considering buying 4 x single 32GB sticks.

I just want to double check there shouldn't be any issues with this? Do the "matched pairs" or "match quad" sets actually make any difference in terms of getting a stable quad-channel system? Or is it just marketing?

In other words, I'm hoping buying 4 x individual sticks isn't any different to buying a single set of 4 'matched' sticks? I've mixed and matched sticks before, but not in systems I've tried to heavily OC.

Thanks in advance.

Its overkill for me... but I run a couple of VMs to play with some enterprise software (DCM stuff mostly). For gaming I can use the increased IPC (negligible) and clock speeds. Im hoping to be close to 5 ghz on custom water without HT.

Ill be running that and a 3080 with a 750W psu... :)

@ thebloke, it shouldn't be any different, but it can be...you should be ok.

Back