• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10C Temp drop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy

Registered
First of all, i would like to say hello, this being my first post and all. I just discovered this forum a few days ago, and i have already found a ton of useful info which helped me to complete my 2nd custom pc. I just finished building my new p4 1.8(not overclocked, yet :D ) which is housed in a chieftec matrix full tower server case(blue). Before making the swap, my cpu temp would idle at approx 52C(60 at full load) and the case temp usually hovered around 33C. However, i discovered that after i swapped my comp into the new case the system(case) temp rose to about 38C and the CPU climbed to 54C at idle :confused: I started to believe that my temp sensors were whacked out, since this case had more fans and was supposed to provide even better airflow characteristics(my last case was a POS!) After about 2 hours of tinkering, i came to the conclusion that this was normal and i decided to live with, UNTIL i opened my office room window. Literally, 10 minutes after opening the window, i noticed the cpu and case temp start to drop. Finally after approx 1-1/2 hours, the case temp dropped to 28C and the CPU to almost 42C. !!!:D As you might of guessed, i was amazed. i could not believe that opening the window would cause the temp to drop so significantly. Anyways, just thought u guys might benefit from this if you live in a cold climate( its winter in CO right now, so the average temp is about 40-50.
ps sorry for the long post, i just needed to tell some1. (most of my friends think ive gone absolutely nuts, but oh well :rolleyes: )
ill try to post some pics of my comp and office, but i need to find a site from which to host my pics
Happy modding and good night!!!

rustymaitland

first...
welcome to the forums! you will find all kinds of insightful info here as well as some serious overclockers! your window trick is
something i think we have all done. i am doing it now. lol!!
enjoy your stay!;)

OP
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy

Registered
thanks rusty. !:) i cant believe the overwhelming amount of info this site contains. chances are if i think of somtheing new to try, its already been done by some1 on this forum!

eggward

Registered
how i wish i live over there. in our country, its like summer all year round! my case temp is at 40c. :( with windows open and everything...

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Welcome to the forums newguy. You have just begun the quest for the coolest pc. Keep reading and posting. Sure most of the things you try will have allready been tried but remember we get new members everyday and they are looking for ideas. Every post has the potental to help a newbie or oldhand. Thats what we are here for right? BTW true friends will buy you new parts for your new hobby for XMas and bdays. LOL You will probly get a couple of them to join you in OCing and the race will be on.

OP
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy

Registered
thanks for the replys everyone. I just decided to oc my comp from 1.8 to about 1.933 (small steps) the temp rose to about 53 after running winamp plus the avs. the voltage is at 1.42 volts. the voltage seems to have decreased since i have oc'd the comp :confused: i guess that means it needs to be overclocked even more :burn:

vayero

Registered
Tismedt said:
Before I overclocked I never liked winter. My how things change.

LOL! I always liked winter, but now it's a love thing I guess :D

Last winter, on a really cold night at 3 am I opened the window to see what's going to happen. I dressed really well, Salewa grey duck down jacket, fleece cap, gloves and all! When the temps stabilized, I had:
Case temp 2C!
CPU temp (tbird [email protected]) 22C!

On an Asus board with a crappy globalwin sink, it's probably the lowest I could get. This winter I'll try my AX7 :p

All of my friends were rotfl too though... I guess that's life :)

Army_Of_One

since you had to open your window to get 10C temp drop, it means you don't have proper airflow. Maybe someone already posted this not sure, but how many case fans do you have, and are they very powerful? Since you have a full tower and your last tower might have been small, the full tower may not be moving as much air off the CPU... Understand what I'm saying? Welcome to the forums :)

brodo

I'm wondering how high you ahve the heat on in your Colorado office :D

but something might be wrong with your airflow as army_of_one suggests.

I believe your room temp should be within +/-5º of your case temps. do you have rounded cables? do you have hard drives or anything warming up the air as it enters your case?

spend some time trying to improve your airflow and gettings that heat out of your case before you invest in warm wool pants and a down-long coat :) (not too mention, sooner or later a manager somewhere is going to ***** about the heating bill in your area) lol

and yes, welcome to the forums.

TheFrag

uhhh.................Army_of_One, havent u made more than 2 posts? ur profile says 2 and it says u r a new member.......
:confused: :confused: :confused:

OP
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy

Registered
i have 6 case fans( excluding the 2 PSU fans and CPU fan). 2 80mm fans in front, one cooling the HD, 2 80mm fans in the back 1 90mm fan above the Power supply, and an 80mm side fan. I bought 3 generic fans The problem with my office room is that its pretty small, and the heating system uses water flowing through iron pipes. during the winter months they are constantly putting out heat and there is no way to prevent this. my fans are basically all generic so i think that may be part of my problem. I rigged my window so that i can keep it open about 6 inches while at the same time preventing anyone from climbing through it( i just screwed a self tapping screw into the window frame preventing it from opening more than 6in. I am thinking of purchasing a small a/c unit and placing it near my comp for better airflow. I dont have any rounded cables and the inside of my case is fairly cluttered(the mobo area is extremely cramped, which was suprising). maybe rounded cables and some better quality fans are in order.
heres a link to my case if ne1's interested.
http://www.directron.com/ma01bld.html
(i do not have the side window option)

OP
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy

Registered
yep, its blue. looks much better than in real life than in that pic. I used some EL light tape and created a blue glow behind the bottom front half of the case.
some of those pics aren't the actual pics of my case( the front pic is the wrong one)
http://www.chieftec.com/products/Workcolor/ColorMA.htm
mine is the MA-01BLD

Last edited:

Namagomi

Disabled
ah. is it just me, or does that still sound way to freaking hot? my 2200+ o/ced to 2gig tops out around 53c. it sounds like a well-ventalliated case, so, i pose a question for ya: have you tried used an heat sink on that p4? :D honestly, check the mounting of the HSF and your thermal interface (artic silver, thermal transfer pad, whatever). if it's still out of whack, might i reccomend the Alpha PAL8942 and some artic silver 3. it should cool ya right down, and enable ya to get some extra MHZ out of that badboy.

OP
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy

Registered
i double checked the HS and HSF...both seemed to be in good working order. I think the real problem is the temp of the air entering the case. almost as soon as i opened the window, boom, temp started to drop. the outside of the case feels like a freezer now :D But now that u mention it, when i first installed the HS, a tiny bit of the thermal pad was stuck to the cpu package( just a tiny, tiny bit, though) i was contemplating removing the HS and using some arctic ice, but it took me a freaking hour to install the mobo into this new case and im feeling pretty lazy :D :eek:
oh, and one last thing. should i be concerned with moisture accumulating in my case now that i have the window open almost 24/7. It rained/snowed yesterday, but everything seemed to be ok. maybe i should invest in a humidity sensor or something in my case??

cozmo_d

Hi welcome to the best pc sight on mother earth

I have learned many things here as im sure you will its a great place

I have 2 windows open right now & shiverin a bit but the pc is cool hehe

Id knock down this wall next to me if I could ;)

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
You should pull the HSF and scrape off the thermal pad and apply a coat of AS3. Thermal pads are junk. Make sure the core and hs surface is clean. A finger print can be enough to interfer with the thermal transfer. Also take a few minutes and fill in the sig part in user profile with your rigs specs ie; mobo, cpu, vid card, mem, etc. It will answer a lot of questions and you will get better responses to your questions.

brodo

I doubt you will have any problems with moisture in your case with the window open.

I used to live in NY and during the summer it would get to unbareable humidty percentages and I never had a problem with my window(s) open. Also during the winter, snowing and all - I would leave the window open and get my cpu chilly :D still no anything in my case.

Your air is thinner, right? Higher altitudes in CO. So that might affect air flow. There certainly is a difference depending on your climate. Again, moisture should not be a concern (unless you have the case sitting 2" from the window and the rain can blows through the window and sucked into your case. :p

But if you get better flow in your case ...basically you need your intake free of cables/blockage and some Artic Silver 3 instead of a thermal pad, you should have a few ºC's less for case temps. There are many posts (here) and articles (www.overclockers.com) that discuss proper flow in a case. You might have already looked at them.

Having generic fans does not hurt you - just perhaps in the long run if they crap out where a delta/sunon/tt/etc. might not. Unless of course they are just not pushing/pulling any air. Do you know their CFM's?