• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1100T OC on an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redkaliber

Sup overclockers. I'm new to these forums and I'd like to throw a couple numbers and letters at you all. The reason I'm here is because the past three days I have been viewing all kinds of threads and articles related to overclocking. But anyway heres my rig info :

CPU - AMD 1100T BE x6 / Heatsink - Corsair h80i / Memory - (2x) Corsair 4Gb 1333 / GPU -(2x) AMD HD6870 Crossfire / Storage - Toshiba 2Tb HDD sata 3g 64Mb cache / Mobo - ASUS Sabertooth 990fx / PSU - Corsair 800watts / Case - Corsair 600T

So I guess I got a slightly higher midrange PC. I just recently bought the H80i and have been trying to increase my overclock from 3.85ghz on a CM hyper (the big *** one with two fans, maybe 542) to a 4.3ghz on the h80i. Thats the goal. I had some trouble at first. Mainly because I was doing it the inpatient way of just raising it really high and changing a bunch of settings in the bios at once. So, I took a break and started reading. Got back to it with some better knowledge. Overclocked it to 4.12ghz with a FSB of 249.7~9mhz.

I did it in increments. Started at 3.8ghz FSB - 230mhz. Ram at 3:8 and voltage at 1.45v. I would increase the FSB by 5mhz and prime 95 it for 20-30 min. while watching my temps in hwmonitor. I got to 4.05ghz fsb - 245mhz on 1.45v. after I raised it to 250mhz fsb it didnt even get into windows. I didnt want to give up so I started raising the voltage. I raised the Dram voltage to 1.55 from 1.5 and threw increments at the cpu voltage. I also turned LLC to ultra high(4). I was priming and it was BSODing until I got it to 1.5v. LLC brought it up to 1.512 during prime and it ran stable for an hour. WHAT WHAT! Told yea I get that shiet. haha.

Anyway, Now I just gotta let the thermal compound burn in cuz when it was priming it went up to 61c on cpu temp, 47c on cores. After burn in it might drop 4 or 5c and I will try getting it higher. Also my memory is at 666.7mhz so 1333. the NB and HTL are at 2000. I kinda wanna try raising the NB frequency. Other than that I saw a review of crossfired HIS 7850's at tweaktown so thats my next upgrade. Or maybe I should get an SSD first. I dont hear anything about them being unreliable anymore, plus the prices are low enough now.

What you guys think?

Thanks for the thorough information but do you have a question for us or is there something we can help you with? The 1100T generally overclocks to 4.0-4.1 on high end air or on self-contained water loop all in one kits. I wouldn't count on more than that.

Sup trents. You may not be aware but you helped me overclock my cpu. I was reading a thread on here with a conversation between you and kga943. So I thought I could help as well by posting how I got to 4.1ghz. My questions are If I should try to push the memory further, and Thoughts and opinions on how I did this.

Thanks for remembering my helping you. Your memory is better than mine but its always good to hear words of appreciation.

If your ram is only rated for 1333 mhz and you are currently running it at that frequency then I would not push that any further but I would focus on getting your HT Link frequency and your CPUNB frequency up to around 2600 mhz. That will actually help memory performance more than a little higher memory frequency. It would require increasing the CPUNB voltage to about 1.225-1.25 in order to support the higher frequency. I might suggest your next upgrade purchase would be some faster memory. The Thuban core CPUs have an IMC that is very comfortable with memory running at 1600 mhz and get the low voltage (1.5v) and the lowest latency you can find.

sounds like a plan. I was wondering what exactly the nb freq. does. When I was getting memory I didnt really give it much thought. I also underestimated how good dimms could help increase performance. Looks like I got a good excuse to go to micro center.

First of all there are two "NB" components. One is part of the motherboard "chipset" and controlls the PCI-e function. The other is on the CPU die itself and is properly called the CPUNB. Unfortunately, many bioses don't distinguish between the two in their terminology, referring to both as "NB" and it can be confusing. What section each is found in the bios can help distinguish them, however. The CPU "NB" is typically found close to other CPU bios adjustments.The CPUNB is a chief component of the on-die memory controller. Increasing it's frequency allows the cores to communicate faster with the cache memory, or at least that's my understanding.

Memory performance is also tied to the frequency of the ram (higher frequency can mean better performance) and the "latency" (aka, "timings") of the ram. Shorter latencies (smaller timing numbers) means better performance. Higher ram frequency can be likened to adding more lanes on a busy freeway. It speeds up traffic flow by relieving congestion. Shortening latencies can be likened to increasing the speed limit on the freeway. The cars reach their destination faster because they are traveling faster.

Back