• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

119CFM versus 72 CFM on SP-94 Check Out The Results!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I have my side panel off to get laser cut, and hence my 120CFM tornado going full blast was driving me crazy. I ran it at full speed, 4800rpm all day and I actually became used to pulling the covers over my head at night or sleeping with a pillow on my head. lol. So I decide to put on a different fan which I purchased from www.sidewindercomputers.com and test the temperatures at full load. The tests were ran about 30 minutes apart from each other. I made measurements while I had the 120 CFM Tornado on (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/van92tor.html) and then shut it down and swithed the fan with a 72 CFM Delta (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92ff1.html) to take more measurements. Both load temps were taken after about 30 minutes at full load. Also I should note that the delta draws less than .5 amps and can be attached to a motherboard header! The difference in SPL is 14 decibels and oh my it is a beautiful thing!!!

Vantec Tornado Load:

veryhumid-tornadoload.JPG

Delta Load:

veryhumid-deltaload.JPG

When I first turned the thing on the difference in noise was INSANE. I couldn't be happier and at almost no sacrifice to temperatures. I am running at 1.475 Volts, 235 FSB 1:1. After I get new memory (this is not a discussion about why I am not running at 250FSB 1:1 ;)) I will try to post more temperature results at the higher overclock. Idle temperatures with the Delta were 1 degree C higher at most. The ambient temperature stayed the same in a dry, air conditioned room at about 20C. So anyway if you are running a tornado on an SP-94 it seems to get maximum cooling you won't need more than 70-75 CFM (at least I do not).

OP
V

veryhumid

I do realize that having a side on may make a difference, So tests were done with another side panel I have for the same case which has a 120mm hole right where the cpu fan it. No ducting. I won't see the solid panel back for a while, but if someone reminds me I can take temps with that as well.

veryhumid-side.JPG

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Nice test results...This verifies my findings, that the Delta 92mm HHE or the Panaflo 92mm U1A or U1BO will do a satisfactory job..;)

Of course these fans aren't available NOW! :(

See sig of rig below...You haven't changed yours yet...:D

unreal

Registered
hmm yeah i think ill change out my volcano 7+ fna then to something a little lower rated for a noise diff... thx

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Nice Post. Yeah you are right you don't get much more maybe 1 or 2 C
Yeah I'm going to change to a delta myself next week. The 120mm 190 CFM 59 dBA Delta. LOL

OP
V

veryhumid

hi guys thanks for responding, I just let it sit at full for maybe 3 hours and the temps went up. I'm off to work and I will check them when I get back!

:attn:

veryhumid-deltafinal.JPG

OP
V

veryhumid

archilochus said:
Nice test results...This verifies my findings, that the Delta 92mm HHE or the Panaflo 92mm U1A or U1BO will do a satisfactory job..;)

Of course these fans aren't available NOW! :(

See sig of rig below...You haven't changed yours yet...:D

Ahhh good point, I think this is a permanent mod :D

germanjulian said:
funny :)

how long did you life with the noise? I gave up on high noise after 5 months... from then low noise forever

about 5 months, too! I started out with a cnps-7000, and switched pretty quickly. Also have the tornado on the big prickly swiftech.

austinbmxnig

Man when i got my tornado that thing was on there for 5 MINUTES..........what is the link to the 7 volt mod for it because i don't want to just waste the fan

Airbornederekc

i had this old 6k rpm thermalright dragon orb type thing and it was screeching and it really ****ed my off so now i got a nice quiet 92mm enermax and its awesome

ShaftedTwice

Electron Chaser said:
Nice Post. Yeah you are right you don't get much more maybe 1 or 2 C
Yeah I'm going to change to a delta myself next week. The 120mm 190 CFM 59 dBA Delta. LOL

Holy carp..

Nice tests, keep it up.

Shuzzy

i completely agree with this change you have made. i just ordered a zalman cnps7000a-cu hsf because i can't stand noise at all! currently i have a cooler master jet4 and it's too loud for me at medium-low speed. i near go crazy at high speed. i gladly give up a little performance for noise. as long as my cpu does'nt ever hit 50c, im happy.

OP
V

veryhumid

DumpALump said:
I'm curious, whats the difference in load temps? Or is that load?

Yeah those are both at full load. those two bars that are all the way blue represent the two logical cpus. and the % is the combined load between the two.

Chaos_Being said:
Hah using a 120cfm tornado, no wonder you laughed at me when I called 34dba noisy :p

hehe, yeah that is the reason. I am new to modding computers and everyone gets the performance bug, I'm glad I went all out, but in this case I didn't need to. Oh this is beautiful...

Shuzzy said:
i completely agree with this change you have made. i just ordered a zalman cnps7000a-cu hsf because i can't stand noise at all! currently i have a cooler master jet4 and it's too loud for me at medium-low speed. I near go crazy at high speed. i gladly give up a little performance for noise. as long as my cpu does'nt ever hit 50c, im happy.

No doubt it is a good cooler, I plan to put it on my second 1.8 P4 system, I just wanted to see how Low I could get my temps, that's why I decided to try the sp-94. Part of the reason I didn't abandon the big tornado right away was because I thought it would be making a big difference. I tolerated it for a long time so now the silence is even sweeter :D

Last edited:
OP
V

veryhumid

Okay guys, thanks again for the posts. I think my findings are kind of valuable, at least they show there is a threshold for a heatsink in a certain situation where more cfm won't cool the cpu core anymore. Also, I just got back from work, load temp is 44C :D