• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12 at only 7!?!?!?!?! WTF!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

I just installed my new 1700 and abit kd7. Suddenly my -12v rail is at only -7V. Alarms and stuff are going bbeeeeeoooo beeeeoo. should i be using it right now? what can i do? is that normal?

timmyqwest

Disabled
Damn that sucks :-(

whats your mobo and PSU...got that aux. 12v line??? (ie abit nf7 with an antec PSU)

I'm hoping when i get my 1700 later this week that the alarms that go off when i up my vcore go away (that is i hope i screwed up my CPU)

OP
M

modenaf1

my psu is the "came with the case" 300W generic. my mobo is the abit kd7, and its does have the extra p4 12v power connector. im not using it though caause my psu dosent have it.

it worked finewith my jetway and 2100 pali.

timmyqwest

Disabled
just doesnt make sence to me...either way you should really upgrade to a name brand PSU if you want to have a "safe" overclock

asj

damn it gets confusing! looking at your ava's been the same! sometimes it makes me think your all talking to yourselfs! lol!

If it doesn't go away with a better psu then its not a problem with the psu!

the hammer

modenaf1 said:
my psu is the "came with the case" 300W generic. my mobo is the abit kd7, and its does have the extra p4 12v power connector. im not using it though caause my psu dosent have it.

Come on man, you should know that a generic PSU is junk for overclocking...now get your wallet out and at least spend around $35 and get the 350w Fortron from Newegg.

Hammer

OC Detective

That is your negative 12v rail you are talking about right? Well I wouldnt worry about that because firstly readings for negative rails are always inaccurate and secondly this is only for data communication anyway.

altec

polka dot ninja
He said it was the +12v rail. I would head over to newegg and get yourself an Enermax, Sparkle, or Antec PSU if I were you...

hitechjb1

altec said:
He said it was the +12v rail. I would head over to newegg and get yourself an Enermax, Sparkle, or Antec PSU if I were you...

No, he mentioined explicitly -12V rail as shown below.

modenaf1 said:
I just installed my new 1700 and abit kd7. Suddenly my -12v rail is at only -7V. Alarms and stuff are going bbeeeeeoooo beeeeoo. should i be using it right now? what can i do? is that normal?

JetMech

modenaf1 said:

KD7 and KD7-E are very finicky about power. The +12v (four pin) connector is an absolute got to have. Be very careful with that board. The bios will freak out on you if you don't get it right. I have two KD7-Es right now that won't boot at all. Both were tried wth the same PSU (Enermax 365) and niether will boot at all. This is with the +12v connector installed. Search the forum about this board. There are a lot of posts about it.

OP
M

modenaf1

well, I turned it on for a while and everything worked fine. no i dont have that extra power connector :( And yes im talking about the negative 12.

oh, btw, I booted into windows error free at 2.3Ghz on 1.55V :eek:
If i can do that, should i just turn off the alarms and act like normal?

In the pc health status thing in the bios, there is no thingy for the -12V. In the monitering software that came with the mobo, there is no monitering for the -12V line. only in the old monitering, and mbm5 is there monitering on the rail, and alarms. because all the mobo stuff dosent moniter that rail, could that be normal? anyone else have this problem with the KD7?

OP
M

modenaf1

asj said:
damn it gets confusing! looking at your ava's been the same! sometimes it makes me think your all talking to yourselfs! lol!

LOL!!!

i almost thought someone else got into my account or found my password and was posting the other day. he he.

OP
M

modenaf1

OH!!!!!!! i just thought of something !!!!!!!!!

one of the leds on the mobo lights up orange whenever the power strip is turned on. could orange mean "trouble with the power?"

yesterday i also smelled a burning smell. At first i thought, "oh s***" but my temps were all normal 45°core 35° surface. so then i thought it was coming from my power strip. but im not sure if it was the box fan or the power stip.

Cheesy Peas

ignore it, some of the stuff in mbm5/ anything else is iffy.
The only ones you should be looking at are the +5v,+12v and the Vio(3.3v)
i was alarmed too when i first installed it, but i dont believe it, i have no stability probelms with my oc below, and im only using a 300w psu. (atx2)

OP
M

modenaf1

Cheesy Peas said:
ignore it, some of the stuff in mbm5/ anything else is iffy.
The only ones you should be looking at are the +5v,+12v and the Vio(3.3v)
i was alarmed too when i first installed it, but i dont believe it, i have no stability probelms with my oc below, and im only using a 300w psu. (atx2)

so you have the -12 volt problem too?