• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1200 running at 600? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I just noticed that my old A7V motherboard with a 1.2 TB is running at 600. I haven't OCed it for quite a while since it isn't my main machine anymore and it just handles music uploads and downloads and burns CDs.

Anyway, I went through the bios and my choices are 600 or manual. Is this a case of the bridging of the L1 connectors (if I remember correctly) going bad?

I don't think so. The bus was 133 I think and the memory 100. Unless I have that backwards. I think I have to get the old heatsink off and take a look at the bridges. Or manually set it. Now if I can just find the manual and get a few minutes to open her up...

HMM, have you checked :
- wether you are in jumperless mode
- what the DIP-switch are set to for both FSB and multi

Uh oh. I'm a moron. I forgot something important. I think I fried the CPU a few weeks back. Here's the story.

I needed to change the drives around because a burner was working badly and I couldn't get DMA on (Win98). So I opened it up and isolated the burner on its own IDE connector. That worked fine, DMA on, everything purring.

I closed it up and started burning a CD. Then switched the monitor to my main machine (Belkin switcher) and started playing a game demo that came with my new MSI video card (4200). I noticed a beeping that I figured was coming from the game, then realized that it was coming from the 1200 (happily burning a cd). Well, that wasn't the only thing it was burning. The beeping was from Motherboard monitor which was freaking out over the heat.

I pulled the plug.

Seems that the 4 wire power cable that floppy drives use had lodged itself into the fan blades of the Swiftech A462 monster HSF so the fan wasn't turning. After it cooled down I booted and everything seemed ok, so I breathed a sigh of relief and forgot about it.

So that's why it's running at 600. Now the only question is whether I damaged the CPU or just melted the L1 connectors (rear-window defroster gunk). I lean toward damaged connectors because I don't think the CPU would work at all if it was fried.

Ok, time for an operation. Best check my supply of Artic Silver...

Ok, mystery sort of solved. I took it apart, cleaned off whatever I could from the CPU, and booted. Still 600. Switched to jumper mode, set it for 1200. Boots and runs at 1200. I left it there and all is happy. I'll have to change my signature. I still don't know why jumper-free mode thinks it's 600. Either the chip is damaged or something on the L1 bridges is still causing a problem.

Back