• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm CPU "Push" Fan Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManusDei

Registered
So for my case i bought a 120mm fan for side cooling. But i decided to go with a 200mm side cooling fan that is compatible with my case instead so i had the 120mm to play around with. The fan is an Antec 120mm Red LED Case Fan (Specs for the 120mm Antec listed below).

My question is, can i use this on my Cooling Master Hyper 212 EVO as a 2nd "push" fan. The EVO comes with adapters so that i can just slide it over the heatsink just like the fan that was included with the EVO. I plan on running it using my NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller and leaving it set on the highest speed setting on the adjustable slider included with the Antec. Will using this Antec "Case" fan present any problems (i cant think of any, but it is listed as a "case" fan and is LED so i just want to make sure)? Thanks for any help in advance....

Antec Model
761345-75026-4

Spec Type
Case Fan

Compatibility
Case

Fan Size
120mm

RPM
1200 / 1600 / 2000 RPM

Air Flow
39 / 56 / 79 CFM

Noise Level
25 / 28 / 30 dBA

Power Connector
3 / 4 Pin

Color
Transparent LED Red
Physical Spec

Dimensions
120 x 120 x 25mm

Features
3-speed switch lets you balance quiet performance with maximum cooling
3-pin and 4-pin power connectors provide convenient connections to your motherboard or power supply
Fan-speed monitoring capability included (requires compatible motherboard)

System Specs:

-EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
- CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
- Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (9-9-9-24-2N; 1.5V)
-COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible
-3 [200mm] fans (side, front, top) & 1 [120mm] rear fan; 2 [120mm] push/pull heatsink fans
-ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X OEM
-Intel i5 2500k 3.3 GHz 6MB Cache CPU

Ignoring that chances are that those specs are faked by Antec, no, you won't have any problem. But set them as push-pull instead.

My bad. Fan is set as my rear "pull" fan on my heatsink. The fan in the "push" position is the one that came with my 212 EVO.

I guess specs could be faked, but everyone could fake specs if they really want to so i'm not worried about that. Thanks though...

I have the original 212+ and adding a second fan dropped temps maybe 1-2c so up to you if you feel it will be worth the drop in temp for the increase in noise.

I have the original 212+ and adding a second fan dropped temps maybe 1-2c so up to you if you feel it will be worth the drop in temp for the increase in noise.

That's very true, but with a second fan you also get redundancy, so that if a fan decides to lock up or burn out on you, your system will still stay cool. ;)

That's very true, but with a second fan you also get redundancy, so that if a fan decides to lock up or burn out on you, your system will still stay cool. ;)

Agreed. And when i need the fans on full power, my headphones drown out the noise anyway.

I think if the fan has a built in controller it would just allow full voltage at the max setting. So, I think changing the voltage from another source (the controller) would work just fine in controlling the fan speed. If it does run at full speed it will probably be loud. Mine is if I turn it up all the way to 2200rpm. I have a similar setup with the 212+ EVO.

P.S. Just a though, I didn't see much of a temp difference between the second fan speed. It seemed as the biggest gain is just having the second fan.

Last edited:
Agreed. And when i need the fans on full power, my headphones drown out the noise anyway.

I would so love to know the temp difference you get by adding the new cooler. I have been KINDA looking at the same type of thing.

With my case I have a 120 side fan that blows strait on my cpu. I am thinking with the fan set up I have the new cooler, like the one your looking at won't make that much of a difference.

So if you put it on, and think about it and could let me know the difference in temps, I would appreciate it. Or what temps you run after installing it.

According to speed fan I am running 28 and 30 c. Never saw mine over 50 and that is really pushing it more than I normally do.

Yeah even with a 1ghz OC I idle around 32C. You need to get something like Prime95 in order to really push the CPU to its limits. Are you going to OC that CPU? Or did you just put a cooler on there for other reasons?

Back