• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm to 60mm adapter pulling air, amazing result!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut581

Hey guys,

I just found out this link

The Review page

it appears that using the largest fan/adapter pulling air from the heatsink works extremely well (6 C drop than pushing air) :eek: ... with good airflow in the case and duct (to direct pulled hot air outside the case), the result might be even better ...

anyone tried this before? :) .. let me know .. I'm running 60mm YS Tech fan 40CFM, and it is so loud .. 48dB .. currently considering the option above ...

I'm skeptical. I had a 60-80mm on my dragonorb with a stonger fan and it really only help the idle temps.

It's a good idea in principle... The physics involved just plain suck. you're loosing so much pressure and velocity even in that small of a space due to the LARGE diversion of the air...

Take an R/C ductted fan. A HALF INCH differance in diameter over one... two... THREE feet can litirally make a 10-30% perfomance differance. We're also talking many times more air moving.

I'm sure a 120mm fan would be able to just power it's way around that the 80-92mm sized adapters have trouble with, even when they help.

Keep in mind you'll have more airPRESSURE comming of that 60mm YS than I bet you do with a "slow/normal" speed 120mm fan.

-Toysrme

An cool idea would be to build a small size, high volume compressor.
Sort of a "positive displacement" pump, instead of a fan.
Ofcoz an compressor i also noisy, but maybe an another way more tolerable?

I'm currently working on a pump operating from a speaker, pumping air. Sounds cool ?

I'm currently just using an 6 inch woofer, just to test the theory.
Totally cool, if the processor is not working too hard = low frequancy supplied to woofer, once heat increases so does the frequency. One have to dimension the woofer so the frequency needed doesn't rise above 40-50 Hz, otherwize it will be annoying. Another way is ofcoz to fix the frequency and regulate the throw of the woofa.

The idea is to squeaze more air into a high density heatsink like Alpha's.

/Paxmax

Neat idea pax.

Good luck with it. I won't say anything about what I think cause it might Jinx ya ;)

Intresting electronics to control the frequency tho. That could be useful elsewhere even if it dosn't pan out.

Back