• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12700K & Liquid AIO 240Ml OVERCLOCKING HELP Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJtR1pL6ixx

Registered
Hey Guys, new member here!
So I would say I'm probably mid-level with OC and all that. I've been studying up for about a year or so now.
I just upgraded to a decent desktop, specs:
☆i7 12700K 12th Gen. Intel
☆ASUS Prime-P D4 WiFi z690
☆Liquid AIO 240ML
☆16GB RAM @3200 | XMP ON
☆ASUS TUF 3060Ti OC Edition
☆FOUR - 120mm Fans

_ So anyways, im still learning obviously and all that, I won't lie; alot of the stuff you guys talk about confuses the Sh*t out of me 😅
My Actual Question Though, I Need Help Overclocking. I'd like to put it right on the threshold of Stable/"Too Much"
So literally right between those two Amounts
Can someone help me ? Or Mayne point me at a guide that'll help?
I'm truly FASCINATED With OC'ing And Everything Related.
I would really love to see what this PC can do
I promise I'm a fast learner and any help would mean more than you know!
I hope I don't sound too dumb right now.
Anyways, please hit me back 🙏🏼

Hey,
For overclocking you will need a better cooler as it will go up to the throttling point in AVX/AVX2 tests on 240 AIO and if I'm right you have Coolermaster ML which isn't really special ... not bad but there are a bit better (and much more expensive) AIOs.
You can still try to set a lower CPU voltage and one higher CPU ratio or at least keep 5GHz what should improve the performance over the auto setting. These CPUs usually run at 5-5.1GHz and anything above requires higher voltages so also much better cooling. Most users have good results at 1.25V CPU voltage. Most other settings can stay at auto as the motherboard should adjust them. If you had 360 AIO then it wouldn't be much better because of how the CPU is designed, so don't worry, we are all in about the same spot.
You can play with memory settings to set 3600-3733 as it should work on most memory kits. You want Gear 1 mode which works up to 4000 on this platform but also depends on the BIOS and some other things. Most motherboards run at 3733-3866 and 4000 is not always guaranteed.

I recommend checking some available options and when you are stuck then back here and someone will for sure help. It's hard to damage anything if you do that with small steps and don't set more than 10-15% higher voltages (this is like safe for most electronics). The hardware usually has additional protections and the motherboards suggest in BIOS when the voltage is too high marking all unsafe settings in red.

Hey how's it goin man. I Truly appreciate the thoughtful response 🙏🏼
I definitely Understand what you mean as far as some of these parts aren't super special, at the time though with GPU inflation, REDUX PC had the best outlet for getting a new PC, Etc.
They have great prices but lack of customization unfortunately.
My Voltage is actually at 1.4 - 1.41 for quite some time now.
It usually averages right under 5.0Ghz, which I feel is pretty good.
I have seen alot of videos and other stuff though that talks about you can actually push the 12700K (what I have) to 5.5Ghz Stable-y
So I'm kinda trying to get even like 5.2 or something and I'd be happy.
My main issue would be, I don't fully understand some of the Terms and Jargin yet, and the way I learn is Step-by-step walk through which I just can't seem to find unfortunately:/
I dont expect anyone to walk me through it or anything but if the offer ever came, I'd be super grateful 🙏🏼
All of this truly fascinates me and I'm basically addicted to it.
So if there is anyway to get some extra help or maybe a great/Easy walk through video or something, I'd be so grateful.
This PC has potential, even if it's not the highest potential.
Obviously we all value our RIGS and basically Cherish them and want the MOST of them.
I appreciate the response and any future help from you or the community in a more simplified way, I'd be forever grateful 🙏🏼

Hey how's it goin man. I Truly appreciate the thoughtful response 🙏🏼
I definitely Understand what you mean as far as some of these parts aren't super special, at the time though with GPU inflation, REDUX PC had the best outlet for getting a new PC, Etc.
They have great prices but lack of customization unfortunately.
My Voltage is actually at 1.4 - 1.41 for quite some time now.
It usually averages right under 5.0Ghz, which I feel is pretty good.
I have seen alot of videos and other stuff though that talks about you can actually push the 12700K (what I have) to 5.5Ghz Stable-y
So I'm kinda trying to get even like 5.2 or something and I'd be happy.
My main issue would be, I don't fully understand some of the Terms and Jargin yet, and the way I learn is Step-by-step walk through which I just can't seem to find unfortunately:/
I dont expect anyone to walk me through it or anything but if the offer ever came, I'd be super grateful 🙏🏼
All of this truly fascinates me and I'm basically addicted to it.
So if there is anyway to get some extra help or maybe a great/Easy walk through video or something, I'd be so grateful.
This PC has potential, even if it's not the highest potential.
Obviously we all value our RIGS and basically Cherish them and want the MOST of them.
I appreciate the response and any future help from you or the community in a more simplified way, I'd be forever grateful 🙏🏼

No one is sharing on what cooling they did that, or won't share how many CPUs they tested to get that cherry-picked 5.4GHz+ chip. People say a lot of things but most of them can't run at settings they say should be stable. Most are only showing some quick tests on low load, without AVX or anything else more demanding. It's the internet nowadays, people want to make noise but not many have the skills or knowledge to do something good.
I know that guys who made 5.4-5.5GHz stable, had chilled liquid cooling (about 0-15°C), so it's not something that anyone can do at home.
My 12900K can do 5.2GHz at the edge of throttling on a 360mm/67mm thick radiator. The same chip was running at 100°C on a 240 AIO.

To fight the heat, you have to set a lower voltage. Guys on Overclockers could run at 5.1-5.2GHz at 1.25V and custom water or 360 AIO, so it's possible. I just don't know if it's possible without throttling on a 240 AIO. It will work in games without problems but under high load will probably throttle or generate errors.

Maybe some other members add something to this topic.

Hey there! What Woomack said is correct. 5.4 or 5.5 GHz (stable across all loads) is likely a pipe dream and you're 'only' working with a 240mm AIO.

My 12900K sits at stock, but those I've overclocked (two) both do well around the 1.25V range with the P-cores at 5.2 GHz and E-cores at 4.1 GHz. I lose a bit off the top (the boost), but overall it's how I decided to overclock.

Try to set your voltage manually so you get 1.25V on load. Then set the P/E cores to 51/41 and stress test. Does it pass and are you hitting 100C? No? push up the P-core multi and test again. If yes, you need to lower the voltage a bit. But it's a trial and error thing. The goal is to keep the CPU under 100C during a stress test and be able to run that test for at least a couple of hours to ensure stability.

I know this is blasphemy here, but OC'ing hardly makes any sense with today's CPU, which are already running near their limits. I last played with OC'ing my Ryzen 9 3900X, but it was noisy, ran hot, so I went with running it under PMO. There wasn't any difference in my real-world apps or games, except that the system ran cooler and quieter. So, this go around, I went with a non-overclockable i7-12700F/H610 combo which runs great with PL1 set at 175W. Again, cool and quiet, and very fast. It still needs a 240mm AIO but no power or temperature throttling.

I know this is blasphemy here, but OC'ing hardly makes any sense with today's CPU, which are already running near their limits. I last played with OC'ing my Ryzen 9 3900X, but it was noisy, ran hot, so I went with running it under PMO. There wasn't any difference in my real-world apps or games, except that the system ran cooler and quieter. So, this go around, I went with a non-overclockable i7-12700F/H610 combo which runs great with PL1 set at 175W. Again, cool and quiet, and very fast. It still needs a 240mm AIO but no power or temperature throttling.
That has been my impression as well. Gone it seems are the days of expecting a 50% OC from a Celeron, or a 44% OC from an Opteron, easily achievable with decent aftermarket cooling for 24/7 operation. I love this 12700K, but on stock settings if I full-blast prime 7/8 p-cores and 0/4 e-cores, I can nuke it hot enough to tag 96C on one of the cores, with 5x 38mm thick fans on a 360 AIO rad blowing at ~1800 rpm average. Oddly, it runs much cooler at 6/8+0/4, 8/8+0/4, or 8/8+4/4 cores being used, but still pretty hot. Now, I would expect heat to not be an issue for normal usage scenarios, but in testing, with overvolting/clocking, it would be all to easy to nuke the thing into throttling. And it appears you have to fight tooth and nail to even hope for a 10% overclock, and that's assuming getting a good silicon dice-roll.

That being said, it seems to me the final frontier of getting major improvements for minimal effort is undervolting. That is to say that, while not being able to expect more than a 7% 24/7 performance boost with some effort and very good cooling, it does appear that these things undervolt well and lots of heat/power saving can be achieved. In fact, that is my next goal, to minimize the power draw of this chip, either with no reduction in performance, or only a tiny one if it means a big wattage reduction. Hell, maybe it will even overclock a bit with an undervolt.

i Really appreciate the thought out responses so far, i can genuinely say i love this community and its NON-Toxicity! i Too Have Basically learned That OC'ing is just more of a Hobby at this point versus any real world applications anymore; however super fun to do still. i feel like a mad scientist sometimes in my lab lol, just running wild experiments. i will definitely try messing with Voltage. as mentioned it is currently at 1.37-1.4 fluctuating. i scored 21000 on Cinebench, which i was happy to see
I AM CURIOUS THOUGH ABOUT THIS! I HAVE AN ASUS BOARD, SO I HAVE 'ASUS AI SUITE 3'
are any of you familiar with it?
i know i can just use the BIOS or XTU of course, this is more like XTU and its just More-Convenient to Use, it DEFINITELY Works as ive seen it switch tings when i apply them during benchmarks.
I Would Prefer To Use AI Suite 3 to get to my best potential, if so.
maybe i should start another thread for this possibly as well? hmmmm:rolleyes:
but yeah, i really appreciate it you guys, i mess around for now on 1.25 and such Voltages to see what i can get.
anymore help or advice is appreciated. thanks so much!

I AM CURIOUS THOUGH ABOUT THIS! I HAVE AN ASUS BOARD, SO I HAVE 'ASUS AI SUITE 3'
are any of you familiar with it?
Generally, it's an OK app... but it's known to cause some issues with... things... at times. lol

I'm old school and use the BIOS and all of the rebooting PITA that is. :p

XTU can work a treat in a pinch though. :)

Back